Archived Seriously it isn't fun anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good etl realizes that his/her team members can either contribute to their success or failure as a etl....and how they treat their team members plays a huge role in this. You can be a strong leader without being an ass or a pushover .

The problem is Spot doesn't seem to teach that in their business school and many of the ETLs don't take management classes in college that teach it either.
Of course most of them don't have much practical experience so they don't haven't learned this on at work.
The smart ones will watch their good TLs or fellow ETLs who command the loyalty of the workers and follow suit but far too many feel that being hardasses will produce results.

Maybe this guy will mellow out but I wouldn't be too sure of it.
The minute he gets red numbers the smeghead factor is going to double.

It's a systemic problem that starts with hiring and continues with business college. They don't hire quality candidates, they hire the ones that look pretty and have no experience in either management or retail. All they want is a team of people who will read and execute best practices, not think on their own. It can be seen in how far behind Target is when it comes to embracing new processes and technology. If you have a constantly rotating team of leadership that only executes what you tell them to do you never have an influx of new ideas, you're constantly stuck in your old models.

The ones that do exercise autonomy and try to execute good leadership are usually run off or burned out leaving Target with nothing but leadership that doesn't know what they're doing but does an amazing job of kissing ass.

I'm of the camp that if you're five minutes early, you're on time; if you show up on time, you're late; and if you're late, don't bother coming at all.

I was the same way. In the military, we were expected to be at work at least 15 min early, on time was late, and late was unacceptable, no matter what.

This doesn't fly with Target. I fought to get my TMs to show up on time so we could start unloading the truck but without fail many TMs showed up 5 min after schedule. As my response I made people clock out 5 min early so they would lose 10 min of work a day. Not much but it adds up.

Sounds like the ETL is new and being too aggressive. ETLs that are more relaxed understand corporate policies don't always work well.

I never understood this for flow..I would be pissed if I was a FLOW TL and TMs kept showing up after their scheduled time...the truck process is a very time sensitive process..cant waste the first 5-10 mins because people cant be on time

I never understood this for flow..I would be pissed if I was a FLOW TL and TMs kept showing up after their scheduled time.

As a keyholder, one of the most annoying things is to constantly be going to the door to let in late Team Members...I want to be at the door between 3:50-4am....not 3:50-4:15am letting in people. Huge waste of time.

On the flip side those of us who are on time really hate having to wait for 10-20min while key holders make their way to the door.. Or my personal favorite the ETL pack walk right past a bunch of TM's waiting in the cold to be let in and keep on walking..

It cuts both ways..

I was the same way. In the military, we were expected to be at work at least 15 min early, on time was late, and late was unacceptable, no matter what.

broken%20and%20unreadable%20244.jpg

The "on time = late" standard is something I was more than happy to no longer care about when I got out. I still show up to work a bit early out of habit but I never hold my team to that. Shit happens in life occasionally. Kids take forever getting ready for school, an accident causes a horrible traffic jam, you get halfway to work and notice you're about to run out of gas, etc. Call the LOD ahead of time and let them know, then call me because the LOD won't bother to inform me and I end up wasting 5 minutes tracking you down.

As long as it's not a frequent occurrence, 5 minutes is nothing.

On the flip side those of us who are on time really hate having to wait for 10-20min while key holders make their way to the door.. Or my personal favorite the ETL pack walk right past a bunch of TM's waiting in the cold to be let in and keep on walking..

It cuts both ways..

Yea, I've lost track of how many times I had to put in a timecard edit because an ETL didn't let me in on time or "didn't hear the buzzer". Punctuality counts.

We had a couple that were horrible about letting people in on time or close to it.. When it was about 10 of us including all of In-Stocks and most of POG, Sbux and FA all doing punch corrections it was finally addressed. Cause instead of some of us not bothering to do punch corrections or only some of listing reasons, we took the time to fill out the punch correction with the exact same reason. "SRTL didn't bother to open the door" it pretty much stopped with him after that..

I'm of the camp that if you're five minutes early, you're on time; if you show up on time, you're late; and if you're late, don't bother coming at all.

This doesn't fly with Target. I fought to get my TMs to show up on time so we could start unloading the truck but without fail many TMs showed up 5 min after schedule. As my response I made people clock out 5 min early so they would lose 10 min of work a day. Not much but it adds up.

Sounds like the ETL is new and being too aggressive. ETLs that are more relaxed understand corporate policies don't always work well.

I never understood this for flow..I would be pissed if I was a FLOW TL and TMs kept showing up after their scheduled time...the truck process is a very time sensitive process..cant waste the first 5-10 mins because people cant be on time
As someone who always unloads the truck, I can tell you that those 5 minutes make no difference what so ever. The truck size, call out and leftover push make that so. It's too random for 5 mins to actually an effect on the process.

if people weren't consistently five minutes late clocking in, which means they are probably 7-10 minutes late getting to receiving to help with unload or out the floor to start pushing (or to wherever they are supposed to be depending on how your process is set up), then maybe there wouldn't be as much leftover push. Maybe if they were on time then your process would flow smoother. Obviously callouts hurt more than someone who is habitually late, but you're not going to convice me that every minute doesn't matter when you're pushing a truck.

This conversation has been focused on being late, not so much emphasis on callouts. But I would bet that in general, the people who habitually call out are also on the list of people who are habitually late (not necessarily vice versa...I'm sure there are people who are habitually late who don't call out all too often).

Basically, you own your attendance. There's not much I can do for you if you are always late. I can ask you what's going on, you can talk to HR about an accommodation, but I would argue that a majority of the time people being late is due to them not effectively managing their time to be at work on time. If you are always five minutes late, figure out what you need to do to be there five minutes earlier. If you need to wake up a few minutes earlier, so be it. If you have issues with transportation, talk to your leader. There's not a car accident blocking traffic or a major emergency every morning. There's just not. I don't care how messy your life is...you do not have a crisis every single morning that causes you to be late.

It also hurts morale which has a huge effect on the team and getting the workload accomplished. Don't think for a second that your fellow team members don't notice who is late every single day and that they don't resent them for it, especially when they get nothing for being there on time everyday.

Last edited:
My store has a new policy you cant clock in until your shift is scheduled to start. Ie, before we were allowed to clock in five minutes early...Now, its strictly forbidden. So, on a truck day when you have, Pog team, Flow team, backroom team, and Starbucks tms all trying to clock in at the same time....someone is going to clock in a few minutes late...because of the line at the time clock.

He wasn't even supposed to be here today and there he was in his office doing busy work and then lurking about on the sales floor ( didn't bother anyone) but seriously he is always at target even on his off days randomly shopping ( he lives 20-30 mins away) he's always there.......

^He will get over that. If he is new he's putting in face time to get brownie points and try to be the one who can do the workload unlike the slackers. Just keep your head down and you will outlast him.

Geez, I guess I shoulda been fired or at least coached a LONG time ago. I am always late. I usually get in under the 5 min cushion, but not always.
I am not a morning person (not a good reason, I know) but alas it's true. I just can't get it in gear in the morning.
Very rarely am I off my register when I'm supposed to be. So if x:xx doesn't mean exactly that to Spot then why should I worry about it?
I know.... Bad attitude and all but if you had been through what I have in the past 8.5 yrs, you'd have an "I don't care" attitude and yes, I'm working on getting out. :)

Oh, and btw, I had an STL who was an ex-Marine. Worst. STL. Ever!!!!
One time he took me in his office (with a Sr. TL) and gave me the Spanish Inquisition over some stuff. I challenged him on it to provide proof of what he was saying and he couldn't. Dumbass.
I heard him treat other TMs the same way. It was horrible!!!
Who hires these jack-asses????

Oh, and btw, I had an STL who was an ex-Marine. Worst. STL. Ever!!!!
One time he took me in his office (with a Sr. TL) and gave me the Spanish Inquisition over some stuff. I challenged him on it to provide proof of what he was saying and he couldn't. Dumbass.
I heard him treat other TMs the same way. It was horrible!!!
Who hires these jack-asses????

Was said STL featured on the cover of Red magazine about 12-18 months ago shortly before being fired?

maybe this new ETL just wants to make a reputation for himself as "mr strict" just give it time and see what happens.

Told a training etl today that you probably not gonna last if your gonna continue being a hard ass on tms when your the closing lod. Probably texted hr about that but i do not care in the end probably gonna be right with the way he going about doing things.

We had a etl /log in out store several years ago that I am pretty sure could make the devil sweat. She was an ex Army drill sgt. She didn't ask, or even tell you to do something she yelled at you. She was always there...on her days off,,,she was there...she would say she was leaving for the day , two hours later there she was . She was a ( you know what) However, she knew her log process and ran a solid green process ( of course we were all scared to death of her ). I don't miss those days at all and if I had to do over again I don't think I could put up with the things that I did from her .

We had a etl /log in out store several years ago that I am pretty sure could make the devil sweat. She was an ex Army drill sgt. She didn't ask, or even tell you to do something she yelled at you. She was always there...on her days off,,,she was there...she would say she was leaving for the day , two hours later there she was . She was a ( you know what) However, she knew her log process and ran a solid green process ( of course we were all scared to death of her ). I don't miss those days at all and if I had to do over again I don't think I could put up with the things that I did from her .
Hopefully, you learned something from that Etl on what not to do. It made you stronger & wiser to lead your team by not yelling at them.

There is a rumor he isn't going to last very long because no one likes him and they will just keep him around until after the holidays and he's gone but again it's just rumors. I hope it's true..... I hope it's true I honestly hope maybe he is gone before the holidays lol

Our new ETL-GE is a bit of a hardass. She just will not shut up about REDcards. I mean, we get it, you need to drive REDcards and that's fine, but please stop having the same damn daily 15-minute conversation with the new GSA about how she needs to "drive" her team to get more of them. Our store conversion is over 5% every week. We're doing bloody well fine without your pushiness, lady.

I am sure there are endless upon endless threads but seriously we have a new ETL-HL and He is making everyone's lives miserable. One guy comes in 2 mins I tell you 2 mins late and boom he wants to write him up and he has a excuse he was dropping his wife off at the airport and took extra time but got caught into a accident and he made into work but was seriously 2 mins late and he said I honestly do not care you are supposed to be here on time traffic or no traffic you are supposed to be here I was going to write you up but consider this a warning. Seriously?? Today at work lines were piling up all over the place and I said I'll be right up...... The ETL comes up and says where are you going?? I said they need back-ups....... They can find someone else you need to finish that pull I am sorry. Other ETLs have never been like that and other ETLs have never been so hard on us like him. I almost want to scream and throw in the towel and quit but I remember this is my only job and I do have to pull my own weight and quitting isn't a option right now. Why do certain ETLS want to be so hard on everyone and some ETLS are so relaxed you know? ETLS that tend to go by corporate rules are the ones that tend to make lives miserable....... While the others are who are relaxed and do their own thing make it fun you know??

Work isn't all about being fun. I'm sure you know that. But you also shouldn't be miserable. Try asking this ETL what they expect of their team and what their priorities are. Make it clear that you want to do good by them, but you're unsure what they see as priorities and you want to make sure that you are getting your priorities to match up with theirs. Don't be snotty about it, but instead be authentic. If you are accomplishing what they think is important then they should be happy and treat you better.

As far as the late thing goes...company policy is that you aren't late unless you are over five minutes late. That said, I'm of the camp that if you're five minutes early, you're on time; if you show up on time, you're late; and if you're late, don't bother coming at all. It's not hard to be at work on time. I can't imagine any reasonable person would be upset over someone being two minutes late unless they were habitually a few minutes late for their shifts. Any decent leader should understand that things happen and everyone runs late once in a while. Then again, I work with people who have never called out or been late for a shift in their entire tenure with Big Red, so...

If he is new, give him a week or two to settle in. He might just being trying to establish that he is a hard ass and expects his team to meet high standards. The no back up thing is confusing. Is he new to the company? he might not understand the company's position on backup cashiering. If things don't cool down in a week or two, and you've already voiced your concerns and frustration to your this ETL in a civil manner, then approach HR and/or your STL.

The TL's are supposed to go by policy; policies are there to keep order. However, strictly adhering to policy with no flexibility isn't good either. I wonder if he's just out of college; many of the TL's at my store are young and tend to go on power-trips. I am a leader at another company (this is my second job; I would take an ETL position if I didn't have to relocate. I have been offered a position 150 miles away, but I prefer to stay local as my parents are getting older. My current position pays slightly less; if I could commute less than 60 miles, I will likely take an ETL position) and I have high expectations for my team. I make it clear to my group; however, I do not play power politics with them. Some of our TL's are nothing more than glorified baby-sitters. The TL's in my work center (flow/logistics) expect a lot, but they utilize common sense as well (one fellow TM's wife gave birth to a baby, and he came in the next day; our TL allowed him to go home). We are expected to move quickly; they do not tolerate any lolly-gagging; however, if someone is a couple of minutes late, they won't say anything unless it's habitual. Leaders who consistently threaten or routinely use corrective action for even petty issues are really not leaders at all; they just merely have a couple of extra words on their name badge. I will use corrective action and will and have used termination; however, I try to rarely use them; instead, I look to correct the issue, solve the problem. If my efforts don't work, or the offense is serious, then I will use corrective action. As a leader, I am expected lead my group; achieve optimal productivity, and enforce policy. However, I view policies and procedures as GUIDELINES; this means, we are to follow P&P unless special situations arise. When common sense dictates that we deviate slightly from P&P, I will. Also, good leaders are also good servants, and they are learners; they are always looking to improve. In my opinion, a leader is willing and able to do five things: Direct, motivate, product, train, and mobilize.

I'm in the camp that all leaders should be the first ones there (leadership by EXAMPLE); all TM's need to be respectful to everyone else; this means being prompt, working with great effort, and being a team player. Being consistently late is disrespectful to the team. I am also in the camp that being a couple minutes late is much better than not showing up (we are the O/N, early morning flow team at Target). I do not tolerate truancy. I understand that extraneous situations do arise; however, they are to be EXTRANEOUS, and not constant. Some people just don't care, or respect their team enough; those people need to go somewhere else. As a flow team member, I have been late (one minute) just once, and have never called out. Both of my TL's have been at least one hour late and have left early on at least one occasion. I am often laughed at for "taking the job too seriously and working too hard". However, none of them have ever been in leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back