Archived Sft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been with Target going on 3 years now. I started out as a seasonal cart attendant. I guess they liked me so they kept me. I did carts/service desk/cashier for couple months. After that our ETL-HR and ETL-HL asked if I was interested in putting together bikes for the store, I said sure.

Now Ive been a sales floor TM/bike builder (& the only bike builder for the store) til now, while occasionally covering electronic shifts, help put up/put together signing and fixtures, setting planograms, etc.

I've helped kept the electronics scores in my store green throughout the year while also keeping the bike return/repair rate to zero. (Only had 1 return, for a flat tire). I was highly praised upon by ETLs and TLs, so much I've been top performer for different TLs in the same month.. Before our STL left, my ETL-HL told me they put me in some program called "BoB" i think it was where they groom people for future positions in Target. I was told they had me mapped out for SFT.

So now our SFT quit to take up a job with a local HVAC company. I was wondering how can I make myself standout even more, to be the obvious candidate to be selected for the position? Does anyone know what the questions are in the interviews? And who do you interview with?

Thanks, J

Speak with your ETL and STL, and ask them for a feedback about your performance, to see where you stand on that. Find the core roles for the SFT on Workbench. You do not have to be expert on fixing things, they train you for 2 months for that, they are looking leadership qualities. SFT is somewhat like Sr.TL, and in my district everybody wants that job, cos they get paid more than ETLs with all that OT. In my district pay is approx $25-30/hour, and they get OT pretty much every week. :D Interview is done by district facility management, not by ETLs.

Our SFT experts are The Mule and SomeBodysSlave. SBS is on LOA from the forum, but The Mule may be able to help.

The Mule, are your ears on?

my ETL-HL told me they put me in some program called "BoB"

All this time, I thought BOB was nothing more than a front end acronym!

Best way to be thought of for the position is to be noticed as a "global" TM who will help out all over the store, be thought of as an independent TM who can be trusted to follow through on their tasks without constant oversight, a willingness to learn new skills as the job requires and have a general ability to look at a problem situation while deciding on a solution with clear objectives. If you feel like you already have these areas covered you should speak with your TL/ETL/STL about being developed and your desire for the position. Ideally your DFM(District Facility Manager) should be in about once a month for a check in, so try and take the opportunity to introduce yourself, they will take the sign of a pro-active person as a definite plus.

As for the interview process, remember that you will likely be up against a host of candidates from throughout the district(we are known to be shuffled between stores) and can be up against skilled trade applicants from outside the company. Don't let that distract you though, I got my position internally and without a skilled trade background, so it isn't an absolute deciding factor. The questions are of a typical "Name me a time... How would you handle...." variety and can't really be gone into detail here, sorry. I had to interview with my DFM, then a second with the STL and ETL-HR of my store with the opening and then finally a phone interview with the GFM(Group Facility Manager).

If you were to get the job, be prepared for a LOT of training. We go though about 160 hours of direct training in my district for new hires. Most of the testing you will do will be pretty thorough(most Target testing is a 85% or higher to pass, FM testing is virtually all 100% to pass as they don't want you exploding/melting/shocking yourself or anyone around you). Don't worry though, between the training and some common sense you will be fine. The job is a TL level position with the monthly/quarterly statuses that come with it and you will also have to "lead by example" in a few areas, so you will have to give up some of the "shortcuts" you have learned over the years and follow best practices even more.

Our SFT experts are The Mule and SomeBodysSlave. SBS is on LOA from the forum, but The Mule may be able to help.

The Mule, are your ears on?

my ETL-HL told me they put me in some program called "BoB"

All this time, I thought BOB was nothing more than a front end acronym!

yeah BoB stands for bottom of basket, its a term they want you to use when you are training cashiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back