Archived Shift Differential

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fairly new and noticed the shift differential on my pay stub, without even realizing I was earning it. What time does that kick in and how long into the shift does it last? I have start times of 4am, 5 and 5:30 am and 6 am, with punch in at 5:55 for the 6 am shift. Thank you for your help!

Maplebasket (TM since Sept 2011)

At my job it starts at midnight.. so if you start at 10 or 11:30 you only get regular pay till midnight then once it hits midnight you get .25 more an hour.

ooor you worked black friday, started at or before midnite and were one of those few selected stores to get that shift differential paid to you

My store doesn't have differential at all. I'm pretty pissed, since I'm doing a pricing overnight into Christmas eve. That's okay, I'll just alter my entire sleep schedule and receive nothing extra for it.

So does anyone know why some stores have it and others don't?

It's due to store location and what local competitors are offering.

I moved from one store to another less than 5 miles away, and shift differential went from $.50 to $1.00 at the new store.

$1.00 more an hour for over nighters at my walmart. so I believe thats from 10pm to 7am and the pay for over nighters is $9.90 an hour. (States min. wage is $8.40) a co worker of mine who has been with the store since it opened in 2010 got a raise and is at $10.40 an hour now.

My store if you clock in before 5 am. You get $1.00 differential (when I first started, it was $2.50, it's gone down quite a lot).

I personally think it's ridiculous and an insult to real overnight workers that people can come in the morning and clock 5 minutes before 5 and get the same differential they are getting for starting at 10-11pm and working throughout the night. 5am isn't overnight, it's early morning. You should have to clock in before 3 am to even be considered for an overnight differential.

Anyone else feel the same way?

$1.00 more an hour for over nighters at my walmart. so I believe thats from 10pm to 7am and the pay for over nighters is $9.90 an hour. (States min. wage is $8.40) a co worker of mine who has been with the store since it opened in 2010 got a raise and is at $10.40 an hour now.

The $1.00 is only for the overnighters. For example, for black friday, all the day people who worked overnight, doesn't get paid the $1.00 more because it is only one day. Thats why at my store. They have the O/N cashier to work 1 day shift, so they don't need to give them the $1 more.

Shift differential shows up on a paycheck as "SHF" where things like overtime and holiday pay are listed, right? If so, apparently my store does do shift differential.

My store if you clock in before 5 am. You get $1.00 differential (when I first started, it was $2.50, it's gone down quite a lot).

I personally think it's ridiculous and an insult to real overnight workers that people can come in the morning and clock 5 minutes before 5 and get the same differential they are getting for starting at 10-11pm and working throughout the night. 5am isn't overnight, it's early morning. You should have to clock in before 3 am to even be considered for an overnight differential.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Personally I liked the overnights better than the 4AMs, although that is when I work tomorrow morning!!! Yay!!!:)

I think there should be set times for when shift differential comes into effect (for example, 10pm-7am), and you only get paid differential for any time worked during those hours. Sort of how you only get paid holiday pay for anything you work during the 24 hours of the holiday.

I think there should be set times for when shift differential comes into effect (for example, 10pm-7am), and you only get paid differential for any time worked during those hours. Sort of how you only get paid holiday pay for anything you work during the 24 hours of the holiday.

Sssshhhhhhh!!!! Don't give them any ideas... I already lost $1 in shift diff last year, don't give them any ideas to take any more away!

shift differential can vary depending on city, state, region, talk to your HR to confirm which hours of the day and what percentage of your shift must be worked when to know how much and when you will get shift differential.
I am fairly new and noticed the shift differential on my pay stub, without even realizing I was earning it. What time does that kick in and how long into the shift does it last? I have start times of 4am, 5 and 5:30 am and 6 am, with punch in at 5:55 for the 6 am shift. Thank you for your help!

Maplebasket (TM since Sept 2011)

Hopefully it will come back to the stores that no longer offer it
I believe most still offer it, though I think some of them just incorporated part of the shift differential rate right into the regular hour rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back