Archived Shocked by how much food we throw away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh one time someone at the service desk made an entire pack of Gatorade a toss just because ONE bottle was leaking. I don't know if there's a way to requisition the other bottles or at least donate them but surely there's another option besides putting it in the toss cart?

My store may not be good for much else, but when something like this happens we always just give it to the guy who's in charge of our donations. He'll process out what can't be sold/used and donate the rest. But this only works if people (BR, flow, and sales floor) actually knew the procedures. Oh well.

Ugh one time someone at the service desk made an entire pack of Gatorade a toss just because ONE bottle was leaking. I don't know if there's a way to requisition the other bottles or at least donate them but surely there's another option besides putting it in the toss cart?
Yeah, give it to the receiver or the PA and they'll add it to the donations. Make sure the toss sticker is clearly visible so they don't scan it out again.

Soooo I asked about the $1 off coupons mentioned here earlier, and I was told we don't do them because we don't have them :rolleyes:. I asked if we can order them or something and the answer no

These are the produce coupons we use

image.jpg

Without the barcode for the usual reasons as to not get in trouble.

Related question regarding accounting for tossing things...

What's the difference (in terms of metrics, etc) between 1) salvage, 2) CRC, 3) destroy, 4) donate, 5) QMOS (and does it matter which button to select for QMOS, like outdated/expired/sample)? I just saw some report and it said my store is terrible. I think it was regarding overriding things to destroy. Also we're terrible at some type of markdowns.

The metric you are looking for is B-Markdowns. Essentially, we would rather sell something (for even a fraction of the cost) as a B-Markdown over throwing it away. When it comes to food, its a fine balance but now that they are over ordering, they want to counter it by using coupons or TPC to sell the expiring stuff.

The report you are referring to is just whether or not the store is taking defective items that could be salvage or CRC and instead destroying them. We again would rather get some money than none, and a third party company will at least pay us something for that shirt, the compactor won't.

These are the produce coupons we use

image.jpg

Without the barcode for the usual reasons as to not get in trouble.

Yeah I'm definitely gonna ask my ETL about these? Sorry if it's a dumb question but why would you get in trouble if they had barcodes?

as a customer,, I purchased four packages of Kraft brick size cheddar cheese.. and when I was putting it away at home,, I noticed it had an exp date of july 2015!!! how did this happen??

Someone could try and copy them into fake coupons to do coupon fraud. Not that we on the board here would but people search out coupons and it might come up on a search.
Oh yeah now I def feel dumb lol thanks

as a customer,, I purchased four packages of Kraft brick size cheddar cheese.. and when I was putting it away at home,, I noticed it had an exp date of july 2015!!! how did this happen??
Yeah it's understandable why people would be upset. I'm just trying to make a difference in the dept here at my store and I think I can. My ETL is great. I spoke with her today about the coupons and she's already trying to do something about it. So thanks for the tips guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back