Shoe Dept

Has anyone noticed on how the shoe dept has went downhill? Lots of empty shelves, not a lot of variety like in years past. My store was remodeled last yr and I thought for sure they would reduce the shoe floor pad. it was left the same. Anyone else’s shoe dept looks like it‘s going out of business?

Just the opposite in my store. I have always pushed shoes and after modernization own shoes. My problem is too much product. I wish my floor pad was bigger. I lost space after the remodel. I am a $50,000,000 store.

Our shoe dept is tiny. We have men’s shoes in men’s, women’s athletic shoes in AIM. We have the new short tiny fixtures in shoes and they’re crammed full.

Has anyone noticed on how the shoe dept has went downhill? Lots of empty shelves, not a lot of variety like in years past. My store was remodeled last yr and I thought for sure they would reduce the shoe floor pad. it was left the same. Anyone else’s shoe dept looks like it‘s going out of business?

Yes but it matches the rest of the store all the freight is now in piles in the backroom since there are no hours to actually you know stock the store.

Ours is small too. But even so, it never looks fully stocked. The variety has definitely gone down.

Honestly, shoes is the one area where we pretty much suck, from a quality and merchandising standpoint. Our sandals are like straps attached to cardboard. The boots and shoes are stiff and of course there's no leather in sight. And have they ever heard of cushioning? I don't even bother trying on anything anymore. The one pair of athletic shoes I bought since I've worked here i returned.

Ours is small too. But even so, it never looks fully stocked. The variety has definitely gone down.

Honestly, shoes is the one area where we pretty much suck, from a quality and merchandising standpoint. Our sandals are like straps attached to cardboard. The boots and shoes are stiff and of course there's no leather in sight. And have they ever heard of cushioning? I don't even bother trying on anything anymore. The one pair of athletic shoes I bought since I've worked here i returned.
I wonder who is our shoe buyer? He/she doesn’t need to be in that position.

I wonder who is our shoe buyer? He/she doesn’t need to be in that position.
I mean, I get it, we are a discount store, we aren't going to carry designer shoes or even good mid range brands like Aerosoles, Clarks, Born, etc. But that doesn't mean we can't carry decent cheap shoes.

The other major issues are basically hours and manpower. Shoe departments are very labor intensive. They must be constantly maintained to keep them organized and stocked, and that's where Spot is falling short. We have someone scheduled for shoes 20 hours a week, that's it. Weekends, no one. Our shoe TM busts their butt and considering the amount of work needed, they do a damn good job. But IMO we could easily use another 20 hours over there if not more.

I think the buyers target-wide are sucking. Ready to wear is the friggin joke of the internet. Juniors might as well not exist. The sandals are trash.

They do sell a larger variety of sizes on the website. I have wide feet and was pleased to find some there when they did the 50% off shoes. It's hard to complain when you can get a new pair for under $10. I'll never wear them to work though. That would be suicide for my feet.

I mean, I get it, we are a discount store, we aren't going to carry designer shoes or even good mid range brands like Aerosoles, Clarks, Born, etc. But that doesn't mean we can't carry decent cheap shoes.

The other major issues are basically hours and manpower. Shoe departments are very labor intensive. They must be constantly maintained to keep them organized and stocked, and that's where Spot is falling short. We have someone scheduled for shoes 20 hours a week, that's it. Weekends, no one. Our shoe TM busts their butt and considering the amount of work needed, they do a damn good job. But IMO we could easily use another 20 hours over there if not more.
I am always amazed at the shoe dept in Walmart. Neat, stocked and good selection. Work shoes men and women.

I really like some of our Men's Sketchers. Comfortable athletic shoes for work. I got a nice pair of All In Motion snow boots. They serve their purpose. Goodfellow shoes, however, are complete ass. I've returned every pair I've purchased* No padding at all on those soles.

*With the exception of house slippers. Goodfellow makes nice slippers that make walking on my hardwood floors tolerable.

Back