I'm Lost! Should I be suspicious because I was released, let go, from Target on December 17th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something else people have said to me is that maybe Target overhired at my location where i worked and thats why i was released early, and some people have told me that if Target says I am more than welcome to reapply, and use them as a reference, then there is nothing to worry about, but since i don't have much job experience, it's very hard for me to get a job when applying somewhere else too, so, what do you any of you have to say about this?

Has Target not been honest with me? What could be the actual cause behind my early released and being unable to get rehired? if they were eager to get rid of me why didn't they just fire me instead? Because it's not just Target, i'm struggling to get hired at other places too.

I was always told that target can end a seasonal tms employment anytime for pretty much any reason during the seasonal period.

If you have gotten two Target interviews since you were let go, then you were definitely terminated on good terms. I worked as HR TM for a year, and when a former Team Member reapplies, you can see that they had Previous Target Employment, when and where they worked, why they were terminated (not super descriptive, but basically the "code" for it), and whether or not you are considered Rehireable. You were almost certainly keyed as a Seasonal termination and rehireable.

And it's true; if you're seasonal, they can let you go for ANY reason they want, so long as it's legal (i.e. not some form of discrimination). You even signed a form when they extended a job offer to you saying that you understood just that. There's not really any incentive for them to lie to you about their reasoning.

As for not making it past other interviews, I can understand, based on your posts in this thread. You say things like "i could care less about giving back to the community, all i care about is getting a job, getting a paycheck" and "i'm comfortable and content with settling for minimum-wage", which don't sound appealing to a potential employer. It doesn't sound like you are really looking to take any pride in your job, which is a turn-off. Perhaps you're just being more honest on these forums than you are during the interviews, which is fine. But if those are the kinds of things you say in an interview, you're going to want to rethink those answers.

At my store it's pretty normal to be let go before Christmas, we are busy for Thanksgiving then it just tapers off afterwards.

My store normally terms seasonals right around Christmas, but this year, they stuck around for a few weeks after.

As for not making it past other interviews, I can understand, based on your posts in this thread. You say things like "i could care less about giving back to the community, all i care about is getting a job, getting a paycheck" and "i'm comfortable and content with settling for minimum-wage", which don't sound appealing to a potential employer. It doesn't sound like you are really looking to take any pride in your job, which is a turn-off. Perhaps you're just being more honest on these forums than you are during the interviews, which is fine. But if those are the kinds of things you say in an interview, you're going to want to rethink those answers.
Gtc to mr w! It's hope the OP is listening. Great answer!
I had suggested volunteering & checking in with their govt for job education programs. You are correct that their interview skills needs improvement.

Last edited:
Remember at your next interview, its not what you know, but a positive, upbeat attitude that will get you your job. Where I live, they offer a class in Job Interview Skills at the local jr college. Since you say you have been to a few interviews, but no offers, taking a class like this could help. In fact, taking any college course would be helpful.

Have you tried volunteering at your local library? With the budget cuts, libraries are hurting. Thats where I sent my daughter when she wasn't working right out of HS. She actually enjoyed it.

Good luck in the job hunt!!

Don't listen to these people. It could just be that they had overstaffing and needed to make immediate reductions. We've turned down great seasonal employees from regular positions, so it doesn't necessarily mean you were a problem employee. While it is odd that you were let go before Christmas, it does happen, especially depending on how early you were hired on.

i still remember the exact dates, when I got hired at Target last Fall, my interview was on October 12th of last year, they gave me the conditional job offer paper on the exact same-day of my interview, so i went to go get drug-tested that day too, and i had to wait 2 weeks for my drug-test results, background-check results to be completed, my orientation was not until October 25th of last year, and my first official date of employment was October 31'st, Halloween of last year.

Yeah, but I still wonder on how i did well, passed the interview process for my Target seasonal job last Fall, but not for the Target interviews i've had this year in February and May

That could just be chalked up to having different interviewers. Different stores and different interviewers will be looking for different traits in people they hire.

Also, after a job interview, when and how should I make follow-up phone-calls to find out the hiring-status? I want to show them I'm assertive, that I really want the job, and at the same time, i don't want them to think i'm a pest, don't want to harass them.

Also, after a job interview, when and how should I make follow-up phone-calls to find out the hiring-status? I want to show them I'm assertive, that I really want the job, and at the same time, i don't want them to think i'm a pest, don't want to harass them.

I would give them time, as they wouldn't want to hire someone who pesters them. They will contact you when they've made their decision.

I would give them time, as they wouldn't want to hire someone who pesters them. They will contact you when they've made their decision.

this topic, argument, debate always varies from person to person, people often say it's highly-recommended that you make follow-up phone calls with them after an interview because it shows them you are assertive, are taking charge, that you really want the job, and others are against it saying that it shows them you are desperate, are harassing them, pestering them, etc. This get's very confusing

If it's just for a random TM position, I would say don't call. The call/send a thank you card seems for more white collar jobs. The ETL was pretty clear that I was not to call and bug them, and they would let me know one way or another. (Of course, I thought he meant I didn't get the job, so what the heck do I know?)

I agree with Retail Girl. It's not really necessary to do a thank you email/note/call to anyone who interviewed you. Chances are if you try to get in touch, they won't be there or will just be bothered by it. They (Target) should let you know either way, just give them time. Other places don't necessarily let you know if you didn't get the job, though.
Best of luck in your job search.

I agree with Retail Girl. It's not really necessary to do a thank you email/note/call to anyone who interviewed you. Chances are if you try to get in touch, they won't be there or will just be bothered by it. They (Target) should let you know either way, just give them time. Other places don't necessarily let you know if you didn't get the job, though.
Best of luck in your job search.

yeah i've now had 11 interviews the past 8 months since January, but no luck getting hired yet, and these are customer-service jobs in retail, fast-food, etc. Overall, the overwhelming vast majority of places, employers, do not notify candidates if they did not get the job, if they got rejected they do not tell them in any way, which i find frustrating

I get not following up on an application if they aren't interested....but if they do an interview, to me they should at least call to let you know what's up.

I get not following up on an application if they aren't interested....but if they do an interview, to me they should at least call to let you know what's up.

or e-mail at least too, thats how i see things, employers not responding after submitting an application is one-thing, not responding back after an interview is another.

You might to want follow up after interview to show commitment to that potential employer. Volunteering is another of getting more experience too.

You might to want follow up after interview to show commitment to that potential employer. Volunteering is another of getting more experience too.

true, but some places do not offer business cards with the e-mail address on it, because i learned a while ago that it helps a lot to follow-up with a Thank You e-mail after the interview, and when i call the Human Resources department, they are almost never available.

If you have gotten two Target interviews since you were let go, then you were definitely terminated on good terms. I worked as HR TM for a year, and when a former Team Member reapplies, you can see that they had Previous Target Employment, when and where they worked, why they were terminated (not super descriptive, but basically the "code" for it), and whether or not you are considered Rehireable. You were almost certainly keyed as a Seasonal termination and rehireable.

And it's true; if you're seasonal, they can let you go for ANY reason they want, so long as it's legal (i.e. not some form of discrimination). You even signed a form when they extended a job offer to you saying that you understood just that. There's not really any incentive for them to lie to you about their reasoning.

Why do employers want people to enjoy volunteering? most people work to get paid, they don't work just to work, and why is being comfortable and content at working a minimum-wage job sound negative? people have to realize how horrible this economy is, has been for the past 4 or 5 years, obviously i never bring those up in interviews, and i never have brought that up in interviews before

By volunteering, gives you experience. It could lead to jobs within the group, you are working for. It is suggested to list it on your resume.

Target likes to present itself as a company who gives back to the community.
They give money to schools, they contribute to the national night out, clean ups, and food drives.
It would help on your resume if you looked like a person that fit into that kind of image.
JMTC

Target likes to present itself as a company who gives back to the community.
They give money to schools, they contribute to the national night out, clean ups, and food drives.
It would help on your resume if you looked like a person that fit into that kind of image.
JMTC

but other employers are like that as well too, pretty much almost all types of employers are like that when it comes to volunteering

Also, are retail employers less picky, less choosy about who they hire during the holidays, when hiring seasonal employees? as in, experience, qualifications, are not as important, do not matter as much when getting hired for a seasonal job, temporary job, are willing to overlook a mediocre interview around the holidays? but meanwhile experience, qualifications, interview performance matters a lot more when getting hired during the normal time of the year for a retail job like Target, when getting hired for a permanent position whether it is full-time or part-time?

I don't care what time of year it is...when I interview a potential candidate (no matter what position), if I don't think you're right for my team, or to even be cross-trained for my work center, then I will not recommend the person when discussing results with the ETL doing the 2nd interview. I have worked every area of the store, and there are certain things I look for in each interview.

Candidate A: laid off from software industry 2 yrs ago; has had a few freelance gigs but nothing permanent; has volunteered at community centers (networking) & served as a mentor at several nearby middle/high schools.
Neatly dressed (business casual), answers short & to-the-point, good eye contact.

Candidate B: laid off from retail job 8 mos ago; lots of interviews but no call-backs; no activities listed since lay-off.
Dressed slacker neat-ish, fidgets in chair, looks around bored, rambling answers that trail off. Has retail experience but doesn't offer additional details about previous tasks.

Who ya gonna pick?

Re: holiday hiring - retailers may be desperate but they're not stupid.

To the original poster, with every ounce of due respect, is there anything about you that someone might perceive as "strange", or something that might really put off someone who didn't know you? The reason I ask is simple. In interviews I've done, and in my store at least, we really don't turn people down for lack of experience, unless they're going for a managerial job. This is retail. For the most part, it's entry level jobs. Figure it this way, everyone. They knew from your application that you had lack of experience before they even had you in for the interviews, so there was something very off-putting about the interviews. If your lack of experience bothered them, they wouldn't have called you. Did the same thing happen with the other jobs you've been applying to?

Make sure you're following the basics of basics with job interviews-- good hygiene, proper dress (no jeans ever!), shake hands, be courteous. Google "job interview etiquette" and you'll find quite a lot of information to help you out.

Also, they might not have like your answers... at all. With that many interviews for Target, by now you know the deal and you know the kind of questions they ask. I can't post the questions, but I can tell you that if you google "Target interview questions" you'll find those too. They're "situational" questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back