Should I be worried about my shot at a TL role?

Today before our Inbound crew got started on the unload, our GMTL who usually runs the trucks gathered us up in a huddle and told us that he was leaving the company and that his last day was next week on Tuesday. As an aspiring GM team member who's currently in the pipeline for leadership development, this news excited me as it meant that a GMTL role was opening up and this was my shot.

During this huddle, I was honestly expecting the departing GMTL to announce me as the next team member in development who would most likely be taking up his spot, but that didn't happen. He just clarified that he didn't know who exactly was taking up his spot and that it could be either someone currently at the store that we've worked with or someone new to the company.

I was also expecting one of my other leaders to pull me aside and talk with me more about the role opening up and my chances, but that never happened. I was at least hoping for some type of conversation regarding the interview process and being placed on the bench, but it never came. The best thing to happen today was just getting my "Trainer" name badge, but that's it.

I'm legitimately worried that they're going to pass me up for some reason. I would think that the other TL's would want to get with me ASAP and start prepping me if they were serious about me taking up this role, but that hasn't happened. I was hoping that the departing GMTL would make some type of statement about me being his most likely successor, but that didn't happen either. Am I right to be worried? Does this sound concerning to anyone else?

When the spot is posted you need to apply. Team leads have no power when it comes to their replacements. Sure, management might ask their opinions but they have absolutely no say in who gets picked. 9 times out of 10 job postings and interviews are just for show because they typically already have an idea of who they want in that role. Unless no one is on the bench and they look outside of their store. Also, while it does happen it’s rare to promote someone to leadership of the team they were on. Friendships develop and it can muddy waters when it’s time to hold people accountable and do coachings.

Also, while it does happen it’s rare to promote someone to leadership of the team they were on. Friendships develop and it can muddy waters when it’s time to hold people accountable and do coachings.
My store must be an outlier in that case. Every TL we have is a former TM of their respective department that they lead.

When the spot is posted you need to apply. Team leads have no power when it comes to their replacements. Sure, management might ask their opinions but they have absolutely no say in who gets picked. 9 times out of 10 job postings and interviews are just for show because they typically already have an idea of who they want in that role. Unless no one is on the bench and they look outside of their store. Also, while it does happen it’s rare to promote someone to leadership of the team they were on. Friendships develop and it can muddy waters when it’s time to hold people accountable and do coachings.
Must be a case of ASANTS because at my store is not rare for a team member to become lead of department they are currently in.

They would never put it out there even if they know you want it and were even probable to get it with confirming it with you first. Apply for it when its posted. Talk with your ETL and let him know your interest.

They're not serious about you taking the role until they post the position and see who's applied. You might be a shoe-in, you might be up against some serious competition from other stores, there's no way to know if you don't already know. I promoted 3 years ago and there were 8+ applicants for the position, including externals. Three of us got interviews. You also have to consider that there may be another TL in another role in your store or another that wants to move into the position, and maybe a different role in this store or another will open up instead.

Talk to your ETL, update your resume, and apply for the role if/when it posts.

They may already have someone in training or in mind for the job. Typically at my store they already have someone in line. If the TLs last day is Tuesday I assume they gave their 2 weeks notice and the leadership team had time to figure it out.

At my store, if they even posted the job it was typically just a formality. If this was at my store I'd tell you that someone already has the job and you need to keep working hard to get yourself noticed for the next opening.

This is exactly how it is at my store.

An internal TM is never promoted within their same department. When a job becomes available/is announced at huddle everyone has the chance to apply online. It's up to YOU as the curious party (whether you're in development/"on the bench" or not) to let your ETL, the SD, and HR know that you're interested in it and will be applying. Before your interview they'll usually give you papers with the questions they'll be asking.

You're likely not the only person in development within that store, so make sure you approach your leaders about your interest ASAP. Like targetuser said above, they likely already know who they want in the role. It may be you, so get with them ASAP so they don't take your silence as disinterest.

To directly answer your question: no, you shouldn't be worried that they didn't formally announce you as the successor directly after your TL announced their departure. I don't even think it's legal (or maybe it's just bad form?) to just give someone a job without posting it and giving everyone (internal and external) the chance to apply. I believe it can be seen as discrimination if it's not publicly posted first.

They're not serious about you taking the role until they post the position and see who's applied. You might be a shoe-in, you might be up against some serious competition from other stores, there's no way to know if you don't already know. I promoted 3 years ago and there were 8+ applicants for the position, including externals. Three of us got interviews. You also have to consider that there may be another TL in another role in your store or another that wants to move into the position, and maybe a different role in this store or another will open up instead.

Talk to your ETL, update your resume, and apply for the role if/when it posts.
Well the problem is that it hasn’t even been posted. I keep checking Workday and the hiring site and nothing. How exactly am I suppose to apply if they don’t post it? Would my ETL let me know?

Well the problem is that it hasn’t even been posted. I keep checking Workday and the hiring site and nothing. How exactly am I suppose to apply if they don’t post it? Would my ETL let me know?
If you want it don’t wait around for it to come to you. Ask them. Ask your ETL. Heck, if your relationships good with them ask the HR or SD. Just express your interest. Worst case, you don’t get it but maybe you get feedback on what to improve on and they now know you are interested in a leader position. Best case- you do get it. Good luck

You need to tell your Etl that you are interested next time you see them so they know you’re in the running.
But they already know I’m in the running…

I talked with my GMETL about wanting a lead role a few months ago. They have me in the pipeline and I’ve been in development for nearly three months. What more do I have to do to let them know that I’m interested? They already know.

But they already know I’m in the running…

I talked with my GMETL about wanting a lead role a few months ago. They have me in the pipeline and I’ve been in development for nearly three months. What more do I have to do to let them know that I’m interested? They already know.
Go up and ask if you are in consideration for the job. Dont assume anything

conveniently leaving out the part of your story where a month or two back you yelled at your ETL and threw a device on the ground

pro-tip: when you’re going to cross-post your shit from reddit at least change up the post a bit so that it’s not recognizably the exact same person. this has been Posting 101 with sunnydays

conveniently leaving out the part of your story where a month or two back you yelled at your ETL and threw a device on the ground

pro-tip: when you’re going to cross-post your shit from reddit at least change up the post a bit so that it’s not recognizably the exact same person. this has been Posting 101 with sunnydays
If this is the case, you are not getting promoted. You are lucky to still have a job honestly.

It takes a few days to get up there. IDK the full run of time, but HR posts it. It might even need to be done up, sent to district HR, then they filter it through. Who knows? I know that my store has announced positions, said they'll be online to apply later that night or the next day, then it takes a week for us to actually see it.

Regardless if they already know you want the role, still approach them and let them know you'll be applying as soon as you see it hit the site and is there anything you can do to prepare for a possible interview.

Today before our Inbound crew got started on the unload, our GMTL who usually runs the trucks gathered us up in a huddle and told us that he was leaving the company and that his last day was next week on Tuesday. As an aspiring GM team member who's currently in the pipeline for leadership development, this news excited me as it meant that a GMTL role was opening up and this was my shot.

During this huddle, I was honestly expecting the departing GMTL to announce me as the next team member in development who would most likely be taking up his spot, but that didn't happen. He just clarified that he didn't know who exactly was taking up his spot and that it could be either someone currently at the store that we've worked with or someone new to the company.

I was also expecting one of my other leaders to pull me aside and talk with me more about the role opening up and my chances, but that never happened. I was at least hoping for some type of conversation regarding the interview process and being placed on the bench, but it never came. The best thing to happen today was just getting my "Trainer" name badge, but that's it.

I'm legitimately worried that they're going to pass me up for some reason. I would think that the other TL's would want to get with me ASAP and start prepping me if they were serious about me taking up this role, but that hasn't happened. I was hoping that the departing GMTL would make some type of statement about me being his most likely successor, but that didn't happen either. Am I right to be worried? Does this sound concerning to anyone else?
Are you thinking other TLs are going to throw you a like “TL shower”? Your post screams a hard working naïve TM , not a leader.
You have no idea how these things work. You’re expecting the TL to announce that you were a TM in development? That makes no sense. Like others said apply for the job and interview for it.

Last edited:

For crying out loud. The etl and tl have NO control over this. To get promoted you MUST talk to the SD. If they blow you off and delegate you to the tl or etl, they do not find you leadership material. If you’re not already in the bench, the spot isn’t yours.
and keep In mind, there could already be someone on the bench waiting for their spot. They could be in a different store.
The tl can’t make a statement that you’re his successor. The tl has NOTHING to do with the process. You are interviewed by the sd, hr, and then depending on how involved the dsd is, you have to pass an interview with them.

Last edited:
If your aren't on the bench or shown interest then you will get left in the dust. Talk to your ETL to say I'm interested.
They already know I’m interested. I talk with my ETL back in September about opportunities and I’ve been in development ever since. Is that seriously not good enough?

People can be on the bench for a good year. Do you have a mentor? Have they given you any special projects?
My GM ETL and one of my GMTL's have more or less been serving as mentors to me and I've been given a plethora of projects. I'm the new seasonal DBO and I've been put in charge of all things seasonal, including the backroom purge and condensing. They've also had me running all over the store doing various things in different departments, like building furnitute displays, setting POGS by myself, pushing transition pallets, backroom audits, and a whole bunch of other things.

Back