I'm Lost! Should I call the hotline about my termination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The op is new to our site. My question about your review is, did you get a good review from spot last month. A review covers your performance from the last year by your tl.
I remember they streamlined the review system this year so there were only like 3 different options. Mine was the middle one, like "meets expectations" as opposed to the "exceeds expectations" or "doesn't meet expectations". I don't remember what specific word they used. Basically I was given the meets-expectations option in every category except the one about driving guest loyalty, because I don't get a lot of redcards.
(And yes, I made an account so I could make this thread. I check some other "wrongful termination" threads but I couldn't find anything similar to my situation)

Two years employed and doesn't know what these things are?

Something don't add up.
I know what a corrective action is. I didn't know what CA meant because I've never had a corrective action. I've got "in trouble" ONE TIME the entire time I've been working here well over a year and a half ago. They gave me a warning that time and I was told it would clear off my record in a year. I'm not sure why it's so weird that I don't know what HRBP stands for.

Why do you guys think I'm lying? Do you guys get trolls on this site? What incentive would I get from trolling? I'm literally just asking for advice because I don't think I was fired fairly and I want your opinion on whether it would be worth it to call the hotline or if there's even a reason to. Like this would be a really weird troll in my opinion, I'm confused about why you guys are being so insistent on it.

It sounds like the situation is off to me, so I am curious as to what specifically happened...

First, there are no "termination" papers for you to sign. When you get termed, they just tell you that have you punch out for the day and leave.

Just FYI, it is required to have an employee sign something when being terminated in certain states.

Why do you guys think I'm lying? Do you guys get trolls on this site? What incentive would I get from trolling? I'm literally just asking for advice because I don't think I was fired fairly and I want your opinion on whether it would be worth it to call the hotline or if there's even a reason to. Like this would be a really weird troll in my opinion, I'm confused about why you guys are being so insistent on it.

For what it's worth, I don't think you're trolling or lying. You've shown nothing to actually back up being a troll at least. I get feeling like "something doesn't add up" too though...I think that's because it's a really shady situation. If you are telling us the truth, something Spot did doesn't add up. Either that, or you're really clueless as to what your past actions may have been (no offense!).

One thing to take away from this. Just because someone who has "authority" over you..a person in "business" or whatever, just because they slide a paper over to you and tell you you need to or have to read and sign something...never actually means you HAVE to or you're being forced to. No one can never really force you to do something...unless they physically over power you. Forcing someone to do something and making someone *feel* like they have to do it because they don't feel in control are two very different things. It's something important to learn in life. It took me a while. No one can ever make you do anything. Again, they can guilt trip you, act like it's assumed that you'll do it, threaten you or put fear into you...but they still can't make you do it. Think of it like this: signing ANYTHING is a contract. Never agree to something you feel even REMOTELY uneasy about. Remember this feeling for the future.

quick edit bc I was rushed writing the original: ^ when you refuse to acquiesce to someone making you feel like you have to do something, it's really fucking uncomfortable...it feels so awkward. For sure. The more you stand up for yourself in this way, the more comfortable it'll feel to do. Comfortable meaning natural...because we as a culture have been conditioned to just do what we're told as employees...but that's just not in our best interests sometimes.

You seem bright..and like you care. You'll land on your feet.

Last edited:
I've never been fired before so I didn't realize I could refuse to sign termination papers. Also I live in an at-will state, so I'm not sure refusing would have really been an option,

I am in an at will state as well but that doesn't mean Target as a company can unjustly fire you.

Don't forget how lawsuit averse Target is and use that to your advantage. That's why leaders are trained they have to performance people out over a period of time. The exception is gross misconduct which they are trying to nail you for.

You never should have signed that because you were basically confirming that Spot was correct in firing you and when you go to get unemployment it will be a bitch.

Correct you won't get unemployment in most states if you are fired with cause.

The op should have a hard copy of their review. Look at comments & score, please.

I know this is foolish in retrospect, but I didn't think it was very important to save at the time. I'm pretty sure I threw it away. I'm not making a very good case for myself.

I know a cashier who was fired for theft because the ETLAP wasn't getting enough internals. The cops were brought in and the TM signed admission of guilt papers.

The TM didn't steal anything and Target had zero proof of it, so, the TM found a lawyer and sued. I'm sure you have heard the phrase 'no fee, unless you win.' If your story is compelling enough and the lawyer knows winning is easy money, they will take a case just for that reason.

To make a long story short, the TM lost his scholarship because of his new criminal record. When the case went to court, Target could supply zero proof, the TM won a hefty sum of money, and he got his job back as a cashier. Kids will be kids and instead of putting the money to good use, he bought an expensive exotic car.

If what you say is true, you're case should be an easy win if it ever goes to court. The only difference is, it seems like you have no extraordinary personal loss, such as a revoked scholarship, that would garner a big payday.

I submitted a report through targetintegrityhotline.com because I get nervous during phone calls. I typed up a report and I printed out a backup copy. Thanks to everyone who gave advice. Any additional advice is still welcome.

Funny, this exact situation happened at my store 2 years ago. Almost down to the details.

According to your investigation was the cashier truly at fault?

It was a former AP leader's investigation but I reviewed it. There is a GSA that was here at the time and she was interviewed about it but was never given any disciplinary action because she was not involved. The other 4 cashiers that performed false RedCard applications were terminated, but they would all switch off and sign each other up for the red cards. I don't think any "unknowing" cashiers got fired.

I wouldn't of signed those papers. This is pretty wrong in hindsight, but honestly there's plenty of other jobs out there, it'd be easier to just move on because your fraudulent redcard applications they claim got signed up under you only show up on Target Files, and not on any criminal or legal records. Unless you truly want to fight it, then see what happens. Let us know what Hotline says.

Not going to lie, I've told one of my friends at the early stage of my target career just to enter zeros...

:|

I don't remember if they did, but i remember telling them that. But, going around at my store i always hear about the people who frequently get RC's are all done fraudulently. Not sure how, but it sucks to hear.

Not going to lie, I've told one of my friends at the early stage of my target career just to enter zeros...

:|

I don't remember if they did, but i remember telling them that. But, going around at my store i always hear about the people who frequently get RC's are all done fraudulently. Not sure how, but it sucks to hear.

I've done a credit RC once with my real SSN but knowing I wouldn't get accepted because I have little-to-no credit and just kind of did it to continue this certain Cashier's redcard streak.. she promised to give me a gift, but I didn't want one. Helping her was enough of a gift if it meant a little bit of TL appreciation towards her. Letting me be the one to help her was enough of a gift, even as pointless as it seems because if anyone else offered she would of taken it, and if I wasn't the first to sign up on one under her, then whatever. Same thing, maybe I'm just nice that way. I do things without wanting anything in return, although... her attempting to sign up with one under me might of been appreciated.

I do now oops
Yup, careful with that. A hard pull on your credit report remains listed for 12 months and can reduce your FICO by anywhere from 5 to 50 points or more depending on your current status. Tread carefully, TTGOz. You never know when you might need to get an addt'l line of credit due to unforeseen expenses or that once in a lifetime around-the-world trip opportunity :)

A couple updates:
-I finally got a call from someone at corporate saying they're going to be looking into it.
-A hardlines coworker got called in in a similar way that I was. He quit before they could fire him, but they had his money and termination papers ready, so they were obviously going to fire him. Another person who wasn't involved (not even a cashier! Hardlines!)
-An electronic coworker said they got coached on redcard fraud, and when they asked our HR ETL what they could do to protect themselves so they don't get fired like I did (because you can't see what people are typing when they sign up for redcards), they were just told that they can't protect themselves. They should just report it if anything seems suspicious. NOTHING you can do to protect yourself from getting fired for redcard fraud that you weren't involved in.

This is so sketchy and all of my old coworkers agree. Our management is shady as heck.

Something isn't adding up. While red card application fraud cases aren't exactly rare, they also aren't as common as you're describing. It sounds like a lot of people at your store are being fired for this. Maybe the culture at your store led to this, I'm just not buying it's as rampant as you describe. These cases are pretty hard to prove.

Another thing. I get people to sign admission statements all the time. It's my job to convince people to do it. But if I personally had to advise anyone on these matters, it's best to not sign anything.

Everyone keeps saying something isn't adding up and my story doesn't sound right. That's exactly my point. That's why I came here to ask about it and that's why I reported it to the hotline. Because it doesn't make any sense. Because I didn't do it. That's why they didn't have any proof or evidence for me when I asked for it.

As far as the culture at my store, we've basically always been the lowest scoring redcard store in our district, so every LOD is always on the front end, every day over walkie it's "REDCARDS REDCARDS REDCARDS". It's very high pressure and I'm sure that's why some people started doing it in the first place. Also I definitely never signed an admission of guilt.

Another update: I just found out today that the STL got fired. Probably unrelated to this but honestly a lot of stuff at my store is shady and weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back