Archived Should I report this???

Should I call the hotline and report my STL?

• Yes

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJoe

"Can you go to 3, please?" *Turns off walkie*
Today a guest came to me while I was grabbing reshops and said there was a spill in HBA. I checked it out and it was a shampoo spill so I did exactly as I was trained and called for assistance with a special handling spill. The STL was LOD and asked why I wasn't cleaning it up. I told him that I am not trained to handle special handling spills (as we are all supposedly told during orientation). He questioned me on it and I said again that I had not taken the training test for it. He then says "You are now trained to handle this" and tells me to do it. To avoid a scene and speed up the process I just did it because I know the process, I just have not officially taken the training.

Later on I asked the HR TM to check my training meter just to make sure that I was correct and I didn't take the test (or it was entered to say that I had). I didn't.

It's not like I was doing dangerous work, but let's say that I (or a guest) got hurt while I was cleaning.. I could get termed because I wasn't properly trained on Spot's way to do it and I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Now, I can't even go to my STL to talk to him about this issue. I think I need to call the hotline. Repercussions aside, I just don't care anymore.

Last edited:
Report the stl. He maybe the boss, but he still has to follow Target's policy. Stl can't force you to do somthing that is unethical, illegal, or goes against policy.

It's totally reportable, but I wouldn't go to that extreme unless your STL is a jerk in other respects. I'd just to to ETL Hr and let them know what happened and ask if you can take handling haz mat training for the future...

It's totally reportable, but I wouldn't go to that extreme unless your STL is a jerk in other respects. I'd just to to ETL Hr and let them know what happened and ask if you can take handling haz mat training for the future...

The STL IS a jerk in other respects. Also, our ETL-HR has been in our store for 2 weeks and is shadowing with the STL. Yeah, sure.

Report him. Only Cart Attendants/Guest Service Attendants/AP and Store Leaders are supposed to be hazardous materials trained. Oh and Photo Team Members I think?

Don't think for one second that if your store leadership disliked you, that they wouldn't use this as a reason to coach you.

Reporting the STL is going to do nothing.

Think about it this way, Target pays a ton, in payroll and salary to train an ETL/STL. Do you really think they'll get fired or put on probation for asking you to clean up detergent? They're extremely valuable/expensive to the company and unless they're doing something terribly wrong (sexual harassment or doing something that can get them into legal trouble) Target has no reason to fire them over something so trivial.

My ETL-HR once made me clean up urine. A kid in toys had an accident, I wasn't trained on the proper procedure, and she was the most senior manager in the store and the LOD. I called her and she said "Why can't you do it?" and I said "Because I'm not trained" and she says "I'm sure you can figure out." She came over, watched me clean it up and then said "There you go, good boy." I've never been so humiliated in my life!

I would just say I'm not trained to clean up hazardous materials and that bodily fluids count as so. The other year they had us push a huge training campaign at the store educating TMs on what spills they can clean up and which they can't.

In case anyone is wondering if you do the

ST0020 Handling haz materials
ST0030 Haz materials overview

Quizzes on the computer, these certify you for ALL spills (Ok unless its like nuclear waste or something LOL).

I would call integrity but remain anonymous. They might still think its you, but better than them knowing for sure. Nothing might come of it, but your STL might get a slap on the wrist and the store might have to re-educate the leaders/TMs on spill procedure.

Reporting the STL is going to do nothing.
Think about it this way, Target pays a ton, in payroll and salary to train an ETL/STL. Do you really think they'll get fired or put on probation for asking you to clean up detergent? They're extremely valuable/expensive to the company and unless they're doing something terribly wrong (sexual harassment or doing something that can get them into legal trouble) Target has no reason to fire them over something so trivial.
Actually it is a legal concern for Target. If a LOD forced an untrained TM to clean up bodily fluids and they contracted HIV, they could sue Target for big $$$$

Or in the case of chemicals, poisoning/injury.

I'm pretty sure the STL wouldn't get fired but it is still serious.

Last edited by a moderator:
There were no other ETLs, TLs, ap, cart attendants listening via walkie to volunteer to be the one to clean it? I wouldn't have cleaned it. Idk if I'd report it, but I'm a bit of a cynic.

I once cut myself rather badly on a broken railing in HBA and bled all over the place.
The PTL freaked out when a couple of the plano team tried to help me clean it up.
He didn't even want me to clean it up even though it was my blood since I wasn't trained for it.
That seemed a bit extreme but since I was feeling kinda woozy I didn't argue with him.
Was cool watching a couple of ETLs clean up when we'd been telling them those railings needed to be replaced for the longest time.
Not sure if having one punched into my hand was worth it though.

My ETL-HR once made me clean up urine. A kid in toys had an accident, I wasn't trained on the proper procedure, and she was the most senior manager in the store and the LOD. I called her and she said "Why can't you do it?" and I said "Because I'm not trained" and she says "I'm sure you can figure out." She came over, watched me clean it up and then said "There you go, good boy." I've never been so humiliated in my life!

While I wouldn't report the STL in the original post, I would have no regrets about reporting this. If I'm not mistaken, aren't the ETLs/STLs the ONLY people who can clean up bodily fluids?

While I wouldn't report the STL in the original post, I would have no regrets about reporting this. If I'm not mistaken, aren't the ETLs/STLs the ONLY people who can clean up bodily fluids?

Cart attendants, Team leads, AP, and GSA, and guest service TM if they're certified (most of ours are)

I'm going to be honest, the OP kind of sounds like a person in a first-world problems meme. It's shampoo, get over it.

As for the second one, bodily fluids and the way the ETL talked to you is serious. That could be considered both an unsafe work environment and sexual harassment.

Rules are rules. If you could tell me that some deranged TL or ETL wouldn't use this as a way to coach someone, then I might be inclined to agree with you.

Go to your ETL-HR instead. Reporting your STL to the Hotline is only going to end up with the issue back on their desk and they will mark it as resolved and move on. They're not going to do anything about it, and they'll know it was you who called the hotline.

Cart attendants, Team leads, AP, and GSA, and guest service TM if they're certified (most of ours are)
and receiving

if the stl tells you to do something.... then you should probably just do it.. lol.. just remember all of the details incase something crazy were to happen... i clean up chemical spills all the time and im not properly trained.....

otherwise i would have told him.. "im not trained to do this... YOU clean it up" and then walked away..... then i would have got a print out of my training asap to back me incase he wanted to try and be slick later on...

as far as reporting goes... i wouldnt waste your time unless this kind of stuff happens all the time... it always helps when there is more then one person reporting it.. otherwise i dont think they will REALLY look into it..

I'm going to be honest, the OP kind of sounds like a person in a first-world problems meme.

Policies are written for a reason. It is one thing if I choose to not follow policy, but in that case I am aware of the consequences. If I am TOLD to go against a policy that is so clearly written that it is posted (or is supposed to be posted) inside of every spill station, that is a different can of worms.

You do realize that it's only a rule to protect Target from litigation, right? If you really were that upset you should have eaten some of the shampoo and gotten seriously ill. Then you could have sued Target for a lot of money because the 0020 and 0030 trainings specifically tell you not to ingest harmful chemicals. How would you have known that otherwise? I bet your STL would have gotten fired in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back