Archived Sick/Vacation Hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m preparing to put in my 2 weeks notice with my store because I’m getting sick of low pay and increasing responsibilities that I’m being talked down too when I’m unable to possibly complete them.

My question is that when I do put in my 2 weeks, should I expect to be given pay for all the payed sick hours or vacation pay I’ve accumulated since I’ve started working here?

Arizona seems to be one of those states, thank you for the hint!

My understanding is that sick time is never paid it. Certain states require that accrued vacation time be paid. The specific states are listed in the handbook, and if you search on this site for the multiple other threads on this exact topic, you'll find images of the relevant page.

I have heard of people just dropping a shift then filling in their vacation/sick time. Go back to previous weeks and fill it in.

Also vacation time stops accruing after a certain amount so people please remember to cash in on vacation enough so you don't lose more accruals! 💜💜💜💜💜💜

If possible, use up all of your vacation and sick paid before turn in two weeks notice.

Companies usually don't call vacation pay a "gift" or "gratuity". It's considered part of what you earn working for them, like health and dental coverage, not a "gratuity". A "gratuity" might be giving you a Target giftcard for winning the employee of the month award, or giving you a free Starbucks drink as a thank-you for showing up on a severe-weather day when most coworkers actually can't make it in to work.

Some companies pay out unused vacation but others don't unless the law requires it.

I feel really stupid for not knowing this but I could not figure out how to use my vacation pay for the time off I’m taking.
We have been told that our time off requests will be denied if we ask for paid time off so we always have to ask for unpaid time off.
I’m off half of last week and half of this week.

I feel really stupid for not knowing this but I could not figure out how to use my vacation pay for the time off I’m taking.
We have been told that our time off requests will be denied if we ask for paid time off so we always have to ask for unpaid time off.
I’m off half of last week and half of this week.
Talk to HR. If they confirm that, call the hotline.

When you get back, go to ehr/mytime self service, where you ask for time off. Click the dates for last week, and select vacation hours up to average hours. Submit. Then go to the current week, and do the same thing.

We always have the TMs first ask for the days off and in a separate request ask for the PTO. When selecting to use up to average hours it always loads up Saturday and works its way back into the week, hence asking for separate requests.

To cash out vacation pay log into Workbench>Quick Links>MyTime>MyTime Self Service. From there click on request vacation>use paid time off>select the week you want to use it on and lastly the type and amount of payout you’d like to use.

Edit: Don’t forget to let your TL/ETL/HR know so it will be seen and can be approved!

Thank you! I’m sorry that I wasn’t clear about my question. We absolutely can use our vacation pay, we just have to request unpaid time off or they won’t approve any requests. My confusion stems from not understanding how much vacation pay to use because I’m working part of both weeks. Sometimes it seems like Spot just thrives on making everything complicated.

You would just have to have it submitted by Monday morning if it’s your week to get paid. All PTO has until Noon central time to be approved. I have a few TMs that like to put in their requests either just before their lunch or right before their shift starts, which wouldn’t be so bad if it meant I didn’t have to remember to check up to the last minute to make sure I don’t miss anyone. 🙄

Thank you! I’m sorry that I wasn’t clear about my question. We absolutely can use our vacation pay, we just have to request unpaid time off or they won’t approve any requests. My confusion stems from not understanding how much vacation pay to use because I’m working part of both weeks. Sometimes it seems like Spot just thrives on making everything complicated.

What happens is this: if you request time off with vacation pay it lumps the time off request and pay request into the same loop. This makes it hard for one side or the other to approve your vacation time/pay if the other side isn't on top of things. When that happens the request tends to drop out of the system before it goes through both doors. So what you do this: you go through like you're requesting unpaid time off but when you select that drop down menu on the actual page where you're requesting time off and it asks you "are you going to request vacation pay for this request" you click "yes". Then when you are finished submitting your time off request the pay request will automatically pop up right after. Fill that out and click submit and the two requests go into two separate boxes. That way HR can approve the vacation pay and your leader can approve the time off and they are not forced to wait on each other to hit "approve".

It just shows up in MyTime as Paid Time Off or Personal Holiday (depending on what payout bucket you decide to use). But it does not say it’s a vacation day. Submitting them separately gives the system a chance to acknowledge both; it lets Leadership know you need the day off and let’s HR know you are not looking to still find hours somewhere. I myself have personally done it the way you said, I clicked the box and asked for my PTO. I followed up and made sure it was all approved. And when the schedule was written I only had my PTO.

Some TLs will also just pull the vacation report to make sure they have all necessary shifts covered for their team and a PTO day will not show on the report.

What happens is this: if you request time off with vacation pay it lumps the time off request and pay request into the same loop. This makes it hard for one side or the other to approve your vacation time/pay if the other side isn't on top of things. When that happens the request tends to drop out of the system before it goes through both doors. So what you do this: you go through like you're requesting unpaid time off but when you select that drop down menu on the actual page where you're requesting time off and it asks you "are you going to request vacation pay for this request" you click "yes". Then when you are finished submitting your time off request the pay request will automatically pop up right after. Fill that out and click submit and the two requests go into two separate boxes. That way HR can approve the vacation pay and your leader can approve the time off and they are not forced to wait on each other to hit "approve".
Thank you for that excellent explanation. I was confused about why it needed to be separate submissions as well.

It's a bit humorous that the policy memo shown above describes vacation time as "a gratuity or a gift offered by Target and are not considered wages".

In most companies, vacation and personal holidays off are considered part of the compensation package, along with other benefits like health coverage. Most people would consider a "gratuity" or "gift" to be a surprise bonus check for going above-and-beyond the call of duty, or maybe a voucher for some free merchandise.

You can safely assume that Brian's exec contract includes vacation time as part of the compensation, not as a "gratuity or gift".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back