Archived Signed off for ETL

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf4531

Fulfillment Expert
So, after nearly six years and two stints with Target, I decided a few months ago to give ETL interviews a shot. Since I teach full-time, the timeline I established with my STL was to interview in October, so that I could be on the bench by 4th Quarter and potentially get placed sometime after Christmas. That would allow me to resign my teaching position at the end of the semester and give my school enough notice to replace me.

Not surprisingly for Target, that timeline quickly changed. I actually had my finals with the DTL and HRBP yesterday afternoon, and got a call from my STL a few hours later saying I passed.

I was told there is an ETL-Logistics position open immediately if I want it. It is at a C-volume store about 1.5 hours away, with a 6am process. It's the store my STL and former ETL-AP both promoted from, and it's also the store that houses our District office. I was told the process is green and the current ETL-Log needs an immediate transfer due to family circumstances.

I was given the option of taking this spot, or sticking with my original timeline and just staying on the bench until after 4th Quarter. My other issue is that I literally just moved two weeks ago, so I'm locked into my current lease until January. I could commute for awhile if necessary, but 90 minutes is one hell of a drive.

Thoughts?

It's worth pointing out that if you have to run the unload at any point, it would mean getting there at 5:30am. Our last ETL-LOG was actually usually there to let us in at 6am most days, though I'm not sure if that was required or if he just wanted to.

If you've already started the semester or if it starts really soon, I'd politely decline and tell them it's not fair to the students if the school district has to scramble and place someone unprepared into the classroom.

Congrats!

I don't work at the closest store to my home, but I can't imagine driving 1 1/2 hrs to and from work each day. That would just drain me.
I may or may not work at a store attached to our group/district office. If I did work at one, I would probably say that you can expect to see DTLs, HR/APBPs, or a bunch of other higher ups what seems like every other day. Your store always needs to be visit ready because you never know who could walk through your store for lunch or groceries on their way home.

Congratulations.

Sorry to hear we will be losing another teacher, we need good ones.

Woah- congratulations!!

Having to drive 90 minutes to get there at 6am would make your wake-up time insane, though. We're a 6am store and my ETL-LOG is often there from 5:45am-4:30pm (although I've definitely seen here there until 6 a few times)...adding a 90min drive to that seems like a recipe for disaster/burn out. If you feel comfortable telling them to wait I'd definitely try to wait until something closer opens up (or until you'd be able to relocate)

I would consider sticking to your plan.

I am an hourly employee who drives past two stores to get to my location but even then it's 30 minutes. If your commute would be 3 hours a day (considering ETL-Log regularly work 10+ hours a day) that's what 13-14 hour days? Maybe more for the holidays?

If this was a once in a lifetime ETL position I would maybe jump on it but from what I've gathered ETL-Logisitics have one of the hardest jobs and don't get the most support. If you're as good as I'm sure you are, other opportunities will come.

Target does offer relocating programs.

A 6am logistic process is pretty cherry, especially if it's already green. 6am-4pm is probably one of the best shifts...no closing, every other weekend off, limited LOD shifts, AND the process isn't gone all to shit.

I mean, it might be worth it to break your lease. You don't get a lot of opportunities with Target like this.

As others pointed out, super long work days.

On the flip side, being in a lower volume store you will have the opportunity to be more global from the leadership side as there are usually less leaders in a lower volume store. AND, having district leadership in your store gives you the opportunity to display your talent on a regular basis. If you aspire to move up, this would certainly help you. However, it could be a really long 18 months, esp. with the commute you currently have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback so far. The long work days don't worry me. I've been pulling 7:30am-4:00pm school days followed by 5:00pm-11:00pm closing shifts at Target twice a week for the last three years, in addition to lesson planning and grading on my nights and weekends off.

I'd hate to turn this one down, considering Logistics is an area I've never worked and I know it would be a tough but healthy challenge, while also making me a lot more global.

I'm going to call my STL today and see if there's any flexibility in start time. I was told there is currently no other backfill (either internally or externally), so I'm hoping they may be willing to negotiate the start time by a few weeks. If not, I'll probably politely decline and wait for something else to open up after 4th Quarter.

I would work with DTL and see if you can later hours until january. If not, then wait till January. My store is a C store with a 6am unload 3 days a week so he can come in at 8 if he needs to. He lives 30 minutes away as well. Generally our BR TL or Flow TL opens the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back