Archived Silly Coupon Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm normally sales floor. Yesterday I spent a good amount of time being back-up cashier (Which normally I don't).
Little rusty.

Coupons- Do you scan them after your done scanning everything? Or scan them before scanning the product?! I wasnt really sure, just scanned it after scanning all fifty cat foods and hoped it showed up. LOL!

Thanks!

P.S. I've asked this before - can someone refresh me on how to do quanity amounts? You scan one item then press the Quanity Button?

Coupons: Always scan the items before you scan the coupons. The system will only accept the coupon if it knows that the guest has the item it's for. I usually do all the coupons at the end so I know all items have been scanned.

Quantity Key: Only use K2 for quantity if you are absolutely positive that every one has the same DPCI. Otherwise, scan everything. For some reason, when guests buy the 12-packs of pop (NOT soda!!!) cans, they don't seem to understand that we need to scan each flavor separately. If they question it, tell them it's for the sake of keeping the inventory accurate or something along those lines. (Plus, you don't want the Instocks team to get mad at you!)

I've always scanned the coupons at the very end; however, now that I think about it, if you can manage it, it might be better to take a look at the coupons first and scan the relevant coupon immediately after the product. The reason being that there will be times that the system will dispute that the item was scanned. Sometimes, it's right, and sometimes it's wrong. It's a pain and delay to have to try to search through the bags to find said items. Or you might "Accept Anyway" all the time, but I feel like doing that is a bit careless and lazy.

When I used to cashier, I was told to do anything to keep our scores up... I would hit K1 like crazy.. And I'm not so proud of it

When I used to cashier, I was told to do anything to keep our scores up... I would hit K1 like crazy.. And I'm not so proud of it

I'll bet your predecessors weren't so proud of it either...

My thoughts are this. I hate coupons. Usually, when the guest comes up, they'll hand me the coupons as I ringing them up. I take the coupons, put them aside and completely forget to add them in. When they hand me the coupons, I politely tell them to hold on to them until I get done ringing everything up. That way, if they forget, its on them. 9/10 times when ringing up the coupons, they always add in correctly. When they don't, its usually for a small item and saves them $.20 off a bar of soap. Maybe not great, but who cares. Its $.20. If its over a dollar, then I'll investigate a bit. Its not like they tried to fraud you out of $.20 and you watch them rubbing their hands together murmuring "Suckers" as they walk out the door.

Oy. After my GSA, who thinks I'm an idiot, got on me for putting in the correct price of a free item for a coupon instead of just taking it for what it scanned (as long as the free price the register gives isn't more than a couple dollars over the actual price), I figure it doesn't matter too much if they have the actual product or not as long as it's just a couple of dollars worth of coupons. No difference, right? *rolls eyes*

I'm not proud of it, but what else am I supposed to do, you know?

Last edited:
Oy. After my GSA, who thinks I'm an idiot, got on me for putting in the correct price of a free item for a coupon instead of just taking it for what it scanned (as long as the free price the register gives isn't more than a couple dollars over the actual price), I figure it doesn't matter too much if they have the actual product or not as long as it's just a couple of dollars worth of coupons. No difference, right? *rolls eyes*

Was it one of those BOGO coupons that automatically scans for the max value rather than the price of the item? If so, one of my GSAs told me to void out the coupon and do a manual Manufacturer's Coupon for the correct amount (and write the amount on the coupon so Target is reimbursed properly).

Those used to either scan as the correct amount or ask you for the price, but now they ask you to pick the correct item and it doesn't even take the price from that item, just the max on the coupon.

Was it one of those BOGO coupons that automatically scans for the max value rather than the price of the item? If so, one of my GSAs told me to void out the coupon and do a manual Manufacturer's Coupon for the correct amount (and write the amount on the coupon so Target is reimbursed properly).

Those used to either scan as the correct amount or ask you for the price, but now they ask you to pick the correct item and it doesn't even take the price from that item, just the max on the coupon.

Yep. She "caught" me looking for the right price on the register so I could take it off manually, and told me not to do that unless there's a serious (read $2 or more) price discrepancy and give the guest the maximum price.

Yep. She "caught" me looking for the right price on the register so I could take it off manually, and told me not to do that unless there's a serious (read $2 or more) price discrepancy and give the guest the maximum price.

My GSTL would certainly let her have it for telling you to do that (she's a stickler for accuracy, unlike our new ETL-GE). Then again, a manual coupon isn't tied to the item like the actual coupon is. The only way to ensure complete accuracy would be if the POS would let you K1-adjust the value of the coupon like it does with item prices so that the coupon would be tied to the item AND have the correct value (K1 for Price Change disappears when a coupon is highlighted).

'Tis quite the dilemma we have here.

I think that was her concern: that the coupon wouldn't be tied to the item (but then she said that screws up the Target coupons...huh?). But I didn't get why that mattered since it was doing an "item not found" for me anyway. I've found on the BOGOs one of two things happen: you get the list, and it can't pull the price from it anyway, or the item isn't as high as the maximum price, so it goes straight to "item not found" even though you're staring at the items.

Item not found *should* always pop up when you scan a BOGO or coupon that requires manual checker intervention.

Years ago, Spot's Register would just select a random item from the list (of the same manufacturer) and select it as the "free item"... I discovered this while using a coupon for Glad sandwich bags, and it took off my $9 Garbage Bags... Now, you have to manually enter the prices of everything, to prevent this from happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back