Archived Silly Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flarkeydoodlepoo

Oops!! I thought I was retired!!
;)Hi Everyone!
First let me say I am so glad I stumbled across "The Breakroom!" I have learned more about Target from all of you than I have in training and my first few weeks working there.
So...I am a newbie cashier. I started the last couple of days of the pay period about a month ago. I had a 2 hour orientation on a Wednesday where we completed a document indicating how many hours we were there. I worked 5 hours on my first day which was Friday - 2 hours of which were computer training and the rest was on a checkout lane. I punched in and out on the timeclock on my training day. I assumed I was going to be paid for those 7 hours but did not receive a check. Today I was given my first check which indicated that I had been previously paid for those 7 hours according to the YTD totals. No one seemed to know anything about it and couldn't answer my questions. So, before I go to personnel to inquire, I wanted to ask you guys..."Do we get paid for orientation and training?"
I signed up for direct deposit which will hopefully eliminate the need to physically search for my paycheck. Anyone else have similar issues?

Thanks!:)

Orientation and training is still technically working, so yes you do get paid :)

First check is typically a hard check and if it was cut and somehow not routed properly to your store HR def needs to know. Easy way to find out is to check your paystubs online. If there was one missing then you would have the check number to provide to HR. Welcome to Spot and to The Break Room!

Thank you "Amanda" and "Leo. "West," I checked online but it said my payroll information had not been downloaded yet. I will talk to HR and see what may have happened. It was probably an oversight. Thank you to everyone for your info, suggestions and help. You guys are great and make the newbies feel very welcome here.

Today I was given my first check
When you say you were given your check, do you mean someone went out of their way to find you and hand it to you? Or you went to wherever TMs in your store pick up their checks and asked for yours?

You should go to where everyone picks up checks and let them know you are missing your first check. They might still have it there.

Welcome, Flarkeydoodlepoo! At my store physical checks are kept at TSC or the Fitting Room when the HRTM isn't in. You also have to sign a sheet when you pick-up your physical check.

Hi "SFS"
Hi "Box"
Our checks are kept in a folder in a locked drawer at Guest Services on Saturdays. I went there and asked for my check and signed a sheet stating I received it just like at "Box" s store. I was leaving for the day and looked at my check when I got home. That's when I realized there was a problem. I called the store, they checked the folder for my "real" first check and said it wasn't there. HR will be able to help on Monday when I talk to them. Thanks you guys.

Greetings and salutations.

Welcome to The Break Room.

Hi "SFS"
Hi "Box"
Our checks are kept in a folder in a locked drawer at Guest Services on Saturdays. I went there and asked for my check and signed a sheet stating I received it just like at "Box" s store. I was leaving for the day and looked at my check when I got home. That's when I realized there was a problem. I called the store, they checked the folder for my "real" first check and said it wasn't there. HR will be able to help on Monday when I talk to them. Thanks you guys.
just an fyi-- if you want to refer to someone else, you can tag them by being like twitter and using @. ex: @Flarkeydoodlepoo

It would be illegal if they didn't pay you.

Welcome!
I wonder if it's illegal to not work, when getting paid for a job. I hear this a lot, a company makes a slight mistake and every TM becomes an expert in labor law. When a TM is slacking off, getting paid for a job he/she/it is not doing , that's considered "sticking it to the man" and not illegal. Hypocrites I tell ya!

I wonder if it's illegal to not work, when getting paid for a job. I hear this a lot, a company makes a slight mistake and every TM becomes an expert in labor law. When a TM is slacking off, getting paid for a job he/she/it is not doing , that's considered "sticking it to the man" and not illegal. Hypocrites I tell ya!

I consider an employee slacking off at work is stealing. While they can't be arrested they can lose the job, so it does have repercussions.

I think it goes both ways. As an employee you are trading your time for pay. An employer is trading their pay for your time. I have never had a job where there wasn't something that needed to be done so there is no excuse for anyone to stand around doing nothing. In my opinion, it is much easier to go to work and just WORK than it is to go to work and SLACK OFF. I have watched coworkers expend more energy trying not to work than if they just did their job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back