Archived Snow day? What does it take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
we got about 4 inches of snow over night on top of a bunch of snow we already had. Freezing rain happened for a few hours also. All the school are closed today. Target truck didn't come last night so flow was off today. What does it take for target to call flow and tell them not to come in tomorrow?

Probably the truck not being able to get there again. If the tuck is there and your flow team decides to skip, your leadership will almost definitely do everything within their power to scramble up a a hodgepodge team to push the truck.

assuming you can get to work safely I actually love days where the weather is terrible. Fewer TMs, fewer guests, and more time to get caught up!

This weekend we had bad winter weather. I was able to make it in Saturday and Sunday . Although, I did tell them I was leaving early on Saturday ( it was still snowing/sleeting and they somewhat acted like they didn't like it ). My Stl and I were talking ( on Sunday) and she said that about 85 % percent of people scheduled for Saturday called out . Our sales were very very very very low ...there hardly any guest traffic. So, I said why didn't we close early. The stl informed that as long as she had a couple tms or herself and another etl there was no need to close. Then why not send the tms home that did get there or call tms and say hey don't worry about coming in. Stay home and be safe. I say all that to say this. Spot for the most part doesn't care about your well being. YOU have to llook out for yourself. If you don't feel safe driving in the weather or the aftermath. Then call them tell them you cant make it . IF they give you any grief or if you hear them making comments about people that do call out...then call the hotline .

Once the buses shut down in my area, Target will very likely shut down.

We were shut down two days in a row last year. It was AMAZING

Reactions: Him
This weekend we had bad winter weather. I was able to make it in Saturday and Sunday . Although, I did tell them I was leaving early on Saturday ( it was still snowing/sleeting and they somewhat acted like they didn't like it ). My Stl and I were talking ( on Sunday) and she said that about 85 % percent of people scheduled for Saturday called out . Our sales were very very very very low ...there hardly any guest traffic. So, I said why didn't we close early. The stl informed that as long as she had a couple tms or herself and another etl there was no need to close. Then why not send the tms home that did get there or call tms and say hey don't worry about coming in. Stay home and be safe. I say all that to say this. Spot for the most part doesn't care about your well being. YOU have to llook out for yourself. If you don't feel safe driving in the weather or the aftermath. Then call them tell them you cant make it . IF they give you any grief or if you hear them making comments about people that do call out...then call the hotline .

Exactly. Each person needs to worry about themselves. They need to worry about their safety as well as the safety of their automobile.

Do not risk your safety or the safety of your automobile for any job.

If you can't make it to work, don't try. If you don't feel comfortable driving to work, don't try.

If you are at work and the weather starts getting bad, go home early. Don't wait until the roads are so bad you can't make it home.

Target is not going to pay your medical bills or your insurance deductible because you tried to get to work on a snow day or stayed at work too long on a snow day.

If Target wants to stay open, that is on them. Let the store manager work by themselves if they want to keep the store open in bad weather.

I actually like working my other job on snow days. It's very slow and most of the employees call off, so they typically let me stay as late as I want and end up closing the store early. Plus, anything over 8 hours is paid at the OT rate.

we got about 4 inches of snow over night on top of a bunch of snow we already had. Freezing rain happened for a few hours also. All the school are closed today. Target truck didn't come last night so flow was off today. What does it take for target to call flow and tell them not to come in tomorrow?

A fucking miracle!

I worked for a company that never closed as long as one manager with an SUV could come in we were opened. We had s tornado and that was the only time the store closed. Only because the building had structure damage. I would assume Target runs the same way as long as people can make it in, they are opened.

If our store cancels a truck (haven't had one not show up yet) they usually only tell half the team not to come in and the rest get to work on other stuff like autos or getting a head start on their other workcenters.

Target really doesn't like to close stores, it takes some serious disaster weather and/or the area government going "you're not opening because nobody should be outside today."

I had to pick up the gstl, Starbucks & pharmacist on my way in, on big snowstorm. They lived near me. We had the store covered:) Starbucks had gotten stuck & I dogged them out.

Once the buses shut down in my area, Target will very likely shut down.

We were shut down two days in a row last year. It was AMAZING
I think public transportation determines whether a store stays open or not. Sucks because some drive into work and Spot seems to give 2 shits about those!! (Bad Spot) :mad:

Lol please, Saturday we got a foot of snow, roads were awful, so many accidents on the road, my town was urging people to stay home... and we still had to go in overnight. There were 14 call outs that night. I was by myself doing signing so obviously didn't finish lol

Before joining Target I lived in Alexandria, VA and worked in Maryland. We had 24 inches of snow in about 20 hours, yet I still was required to work even though plenty of people lived nearby who could have filled in.

Life sucks, and not just at Target.

I think public transportation determines whether a store stays open or not. Sucks because some drive into work and Spot seems to give 2 shits about those!! (Bad Spot) :mad:
Our store is on a light rail line and even though it shut down because the tracks were iced over the store stayed opened, and even though there was close to 2in of ice on the road the ETL-LOG said that wasn't a good enough reason for a call out! Pay me your salary and I might consider coming in!!

DC here. We don't close for snow. We've had days where all but 14 TMs called out due to being snowed-in/horrific driving conditions/etc. Daily operations continued (albeit at a VERY diminished capacity). To put into perspective, our DC is usually staffed around 80-100 TMs.

We get lots of snow. Have never closed because of it. On a snow day, the people who can come in, do. As long as you have a handful of people, you can run a store during a snow event.

We didn't have a snow day but the heat shut off in February and the indoor temperature dropped to 40 by the afternoon. Only then did the LOD decide that if in two hours FROM THAT POINT the heat wasn't back up and running would they close. *rolls eyes* they were all working in their winter coats. :eek::(

My STL lived 20 miles from the store. Her thoughts were that if she could make it in, anyone could. So our store never closed. Those who could make it in did. Those who couldn't, didn't. No big deal.

Do whatever makes you feel safe. I have worked for Target for 15 years and the store closed early 1 day for a hurricane and closed to customers for multiple feet of snow. Outside of that a store will never punish you for calling out because of snow as a team member. ETL's on the other hand its expected you make it in if the store is open. Plan ahead get a hotel near the store, sleep in the store etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back