Archived Snow Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how much of the "we never close for snow" thing is because Target is based in MN. Aside from school closings and occasionally the airport (briefly) there pretty much isn't an apocalyptic enough level of snow to close much of anything in MN.

They forget that other cities don't deal with snow like MN or get the same type snow like MN.. PNW gets heavy wet snow that always freezes into sheets of ice that don't get plowed or treated very well and we deal with these things called hills! With grades of %30 not being uncommon. You think you can climb that hill when its a sheet of ice go for it.. But the other 10 cars that slid back down tell me you won't make it..

That's exactly what I was thinking--the base in MN would tip the bias towards "what do you mean close for snow? Why would you need to do that?" because it just doesn't happen in MN, whereas it might be very much necessary in other places.

Never been delayed opening, or closed early so hope you or your lod has a 4x4 and is good at driving

If there's a statewide driving ban, Target will close. Otherwise they'll almost certainly be open. If you don't want to go to work, call out. It will count as a call out, but that should be fine assuming you don't have a larger attendance issue.

I’m my 17+ years work for Target in New York, there’s few statewide ban drive on road and Target NEVER close once.

They forget that other cities don't deal with snow like MN or get the same type snow like MN.. PNW gets heavy wet snow that always freezes into sheets of ice that don't get plowed or treated very well and we deal with these things called hills! With grades of %30 not being uncommon. You think you can climb that hill when its a sheet of ice go for it.. But the other 10 cars that slid back down tell me you won't make it..

I had a friend from NJ who said she'd rather drive in a typical NJ winter than a SE VA winter. When it snowed in VA, the ground was still warm so the first bit of snow melted and then the snow coming down above it froze that layer to ice as smooth as glass. Then until the snow melted the days would either get to just barely above freezing or just a little below freezing and the nights would be darn cold so every day even more black ice was being formed under the top bit of snow and sometimes even would get a tad bit of water on top of the black ice. It was a nightmare to drive on, and all those fuckers up north laughing about our inability to drive in snow can go bite themselves.

I had a friend from NJ who said she'd rather drive in a typical NJ winter than a SE VA winter. When it snowed in VA, the ground was still warm so the first bit of snow melted and then the snow coming down above it froze that layer to ice as smooth as glass. Then until the snow melted the days would either get to just barely above freezing or just a little below freezing and the nights would be darn cold so every day even more black ice was being formed under the top bit of snow and sometimes even would get a tad bit of water on top of the black ice. It was a nightmare to drive on, and all those fuckers up north laughing about our inability to drive in snow can go bite themselves.

Pretty much..

I wonder how much of the "we never close for snow" thing is because Target is based in MN. Aside from school closings and occasionally the airport (briefly) there pretty much isn't an apocalyptic enough level of snow to close much of anything in MN.

Target has a *very* Minnesotan bias.

Oh, c'mon, it's only, like 0 right now. It's supposed to snow tomorrow, and it doesn't snow when it's that cold. ;)

Just sittin' in Florida like... What is this "snow"?
22519331_180834262476374_7562576995673045516_n.jpg

Last edited:
My store closed for snow twice in the two years I’ve worked there. Well actually maybe the store didn’t close but I work overnight and was told not to come in for my shift, so maybe the trucks were just canceled or didn’t make it in.

Also any Eire Pennsylvania Targets checking in.?
There's really just one store that would have been affected, so I doubt anyone is going to pipe up and say yeah I work there.

Just sittin' in Florida like... What is this "snow"?
View attachment 4380

When I was a kid some nasty cold front hit the US. My area on the West Coast hit 40 below. A few days later the cold front moved past us and made it to the East Coast and Florida was crying about how the unpicked oranges were freezing. Dudes, it's 10 degrees where I was living and that felt like a heat wave since it was 50 degrees warmer than it had been just a couple days before. You guys in Florida are acting like you don't know how nice you have it.

I went to college in Erie, and just like MN, Erie knows how to deal with snow so I assume it wasn't much of a problem there.

Target doesn't close for snow because then it would have to pay the TMs who were scheduled to work. In almost every instance, snow isn't a natural disaster like flooding or a hurricane, so closing a store because of snow doesn't makes sense in a lot of cases. It's cheaper to get an ETL a room at a hotel than it is to close the entire store. I know when it snows around here, there are multiple TMs who you can always count on showing up. It's actually nice working in a store when no guests are around.

Last edited:
It's actually nice working in a store when no guests are around.

Yup, we missed sales by a lot last year during snowmageden but man our zone was nice and we got a lot of projects done. Set us up for a really successful weekend.

There's really just one store that would have been affected, so I doubt anyone is going to pipe up and say yeah I work there.
Oh, nevermind then. I didn't know that. Figured Erie was big enough.

winter-is-here-design.png

our STL will keep the store open this is farm area everyone has huge trucks plus there own snow plow

I went to college in Erie, and just like MN, Erie knows how to deal with snow so I assume it wasn't much of a problem there.

Target doesn't close for snow because then it would have to pay the TMs who were scheduled to work. In almost every instance, snow isn't a natural disaster like flooding or a hurricane, so closing a store because of snow doesn't makes sense in a lot of cases. It's cheaper to get an ETL a room at a hotel than it is to close the entire store. I know when it snows around here, there are multiple TMs who you can always count on showing up. It's actually nice working in a store when no guests are around.

I love it! A couple weeks ago we had most of the store looking brand AF because there were no guests to mess it up.

Call out if you cannot make it. More than likely, you'll be marked NCNS unless you have a real, legitimate reason to not make it in I.E car battery is dead and you need a new one, your car is caved in with snow(you should be able to dig it out, though), the road is nothing but ice(in that case, you call in saying you will be late)

There was a cart attendant who called out last year for 8" of snow, got fired. Was his third NCNS.

No. This is entirely wrong.

Edit for clarification: NCNS, or a no call no show, requires that the TM not call and not show up, in other words, just not be at work with no heads up, leaving the store high and dry. NCNS is avoidable by showing up or calling and saying you can't make it in. It sounds like that cart attendant either something else going or was wrongfully termed.

You cannot be a NCNS if you call out. It's literally in the name. NO call.

Also, even if Spot asks for a reason, (they're not supposed to but I'm almost always asked anyways) and you have a valid one, my personal experience points out it doesn't matter. I went from 35 to 20 hours working Electronics in December because I called out sick once. Just cross your fingers and hope your LOD isn't a dick like mine was.

You'll probably be safe though tbh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back