Archived Snow Storm 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't posted in a while, still been reading up, feels good to be back!

Has anybody been impacted by the recent snow storm in the Northeast? We got hit big time here in my state, at least 2+ feet in most areas, but numbers have been reported as high as 3+, with drifts well past the 6 foot mark.

I actually have a question on sick hours. Can they be used on a day where a TM was forced to call out because of the snow? The general consensus around the store is NO, that they can only be used if you actually call out due to sickness. Any insight?

P.S. - Sorry if this a duplicate thread, I did some searching and didn't see anything.

I thought that I heard something about getting paid for shifts you couldn't work because of disaster or incidents that would force a store closing.
Annie or HRKing got your ears on?

I thought that I heard something about getting paid for shifts you couldn't work because of disaster or incidents that would force a store closing.
Annie or HRKing got your ears on?

I believe this is true, yes, the store was forced to close for one day, however it's now open. The road conditions are horrible, and most roads in the immediate area haven't seen a plow truck in days, team members simply cannot get to the store.

If the store is forced to close, I.E. natural disaster or it blows up due to a gas leak, you'd be compensated for your scheduled shifts. If you call out due to a snow storm, and the store remains open "the statute in the state that I think your in" doesn't acknowledge you calling out as a viable reason to get "sick time" compensation. So therefore the store is not required by law to payout sick-time.

You only use sick hours for when you call out sick. You can use your personal holiday or vacation hours though.

Speak to your store HR team to see if your store is eligible for Store Closure Pay. If a store is closed for a certain number of hours/days, sometimes employees impacted might get closure pay, ask your HR to find out. Right, you cannot use Sick Pay for Snow Day Pay (though you can call out and use sick pay if you state that you (or a family member in some states) were ill. However, you can only do that up to your average hours.
Haven't posted in a while, still been reading up, feels good to be back!

Has anybody been impacted by the recent snow storm in the Northeast? We got hit big time here in my state, at least 2+ feet in most areas, but numbers have been reported as high as 3+, with drifts well past the 6 foot mark.

I actually have a question on sick hours. Can they be used on a day where a TM was forced to call out because of the snow? The general consensus around the store is NO, that they can only be used if you actually call out due to sickness. Any insight?

P.S. - Sorry if this a duplicate thread, I did some searching and didn't see anything.

I don't think you can use sick hours. Just about everyone had to call out (plus there was a travel ban) and I'd say most of them used their vacation/personal time to cover their shift

So in order to use sick time, a team member must only call and say "I'm Sick"?

Also, now we're being told that we will NOT be compensated for the lost day because in order to be paid, the store must be closed for 48 hours.

That seems wrong, because we were paid for the day we lost due to the recent hurricane.

no.. I think sick time can be used if you have to stay home to take care of a sick family member, and dr appt. I know we have to ask the hr tm to put it in for us if we want to use it. so i'm pretty sure you're not supposed to but if you have to use it, it could be done.
my store just closed early on saturday so there was no chance of us being compensated. :(

Always call in to the store. Checking in gets you paid during a weather event.

This must not be the case in our state(s). Nobody here in Massachusetts, regardless of calling and checking in or not (and/or calling out or not) is getting paid for time missed because of the storm, even when stores were rendered completely inoperable. My husband and I lost over 30 hours combined! Ridiculous!

NJ does not require stores to pay employees if the store is closed so if we close we are sol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back