Archived So many cashier shifts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to vent for a moment. Our store has reduced its sales floor hours and increased their cashier hours. It is really lap-sided which seems strange to me. Why have four/five cashier and sometimes two GSTLs, but zero sales floor TM? Because there are no sales floor hours those TM are basically just getting cashier shifts or only one sales floor shift a week. I understand that cashiers are an important part of the team, but the main reason most people wanted to be sales floor TM is because they don't enjoy cashiering. I honestly don't know how cashiers can do it -- making small talk, asking for redcards, standing in one place, plus guests seem to be ruder to cashiers. But for at least the past two months or so sales floor TM have been getting more and more cashier shifts. I have three weeks of almost just cashier shifts. Also, one of the HR people has been announcing at huddles that if sales floor TM put their cashier shifts in the swap book she is going to hire more cashiers so they won't get any hours (so no sales floor hours and no cashier hours). Someone asked another TL about what HR was saying at huddle and its basically just a threat to stop people from putting shifts in the swap book. But why would they care as long as someone comes in for the shift. Sorry for the long post, but I am not looking forward to my eight and a half hour cashier shifts.

Funny because I did one HL shift and said, "never again". I much prefer the small talk and social interaction (and I'm an extroverted introvert) of cashiering over the monotony of pulls and zoning. To each his own, I guess but still....hours. Don't protest too much, yanno?

Not sure what is going on. Have they lost cashiers? I know we have since TM's have quit, school is out and people are on vacation. The front end does require the assistance of those in SL and HL to do their jobs. Trust me, we hear from guests when they can't find or get help on the sales floor.

We have lost people in general; both cashiers and non-cashiers, but it is basically the normal turnover rate for our store. We seem to have kind of a high turnover rate, but from reading on here is doesn't seem like an abnormally high rate.

We have just made or beat sales everyday for at least the past two and a half weeks, although before that it wasn't as consistent and we weren't making our goal everyday. Although some days we were beating our goal by like $10,000, but it seems to have leveled off now. So there are a fair amount of people shopping which is why I am assuming there is an increase in cashier hours, but it doesn't make sense (at least to me) to increase cashier hours only to get rid of a ton of sales floor hours. But maybe I am missing something and there is a reason for increasing cashiers and only having one sales floor TM or possibly no sales floor TM.

Also I'll most likely be cashiering. No one has been pulled from cashiering yet to do sales floor, but it could happen.

My previous STL used to allocate more hours to the front end in order to reduce back-ups. Her logic was that the sales floor TMs would otherwise be spending a lot of time back-up cashing anyways.

Move to logistics if you hate cashiering so much.

I'm backroom and I've been called to back-up cash a handful of times, even during CAF hours.

They could be putting you on the salesfloor & taking hours from cashiering.

^This actually happens in my store from time to time. If they somehow don't have a lot of hours for other work centers, they use cashier hours. They'll probably just send you to your center as soon as you clock in. There are times when I'm scheduled as cashier for the whole week and I've only ever rang guests up about 3 times.

as AP I get 40 hours a week, and so far my ETL AP and I are on the same page, I help her and she helps me when I request a day off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back