Archived So much for Home Reno

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... RIP to the Home Reno that occurred over the holiday season, as Target is backstepping and removing it from all stores. Just got word my store is starting the unmodel next week, and it'll be a six week project. All the decorative Pier 1, furniture showroom esque displays will be removed and everything is being reverted back to aisles.

IMO, completely idiotic, as I think it looks 100x better as is and drives even more sales (at least at my store it did). Apparently the reasoning is because it's not doing well across the boards, but I think higher vol should keep it, but that's just me.

Last edited:
It actually looked great where the furniture was but wasted space in the dishes, etc.
What a waste.

Could have worked, but a bit too early and sloppy to reach its full potential. Home Reno needed to be built around driving Target.com sales while sacrificing the stores sales. I would take a small decrease in Furniture in store if it meant selling far more online!

You're talking about a company that dove into another country with 200 stores but was unprepared in keeping them stocked.
They ended up pulling out, leaving thousands unemployed & a lasting impression in Canada's economy.

Last edited:
Wait, are you telling me that barely a year after that soul sucking renovation we are going to change it back?

It took six weeks and the pog team never really recovered their sanity.

Is it all of the tables and the decor flats? Where do I find the information on this?

Well at least I got paid for the time I spent on it and our store got few more Plano trained TMs. :)

Maybe they should rethink how many stores they unmodel. Maybe keep one central "showroom" store in each market. Create a destination for guests to visit when they want to make those big online purchases.

Well...that's gonna be a problem for all of those VML positions.
VMTL at my store stays busy. We never had the home renovation. She still does remerchandising of trend runs and step-downs in home. Also furniture end vignettes. Sets adjacencies and pogs too.

This is not company wide. Only 70 stores are doing this as this is a test to see what works. Not every store had the same home set up.. In my store the remodel had helped in all depts except for furniture. The purpose of this new remodel is to see what works so that every store eventually will have the same home lay out. And for the stores doing the test of the test doesn't work out after 6 months you redo the remodel and go back to the old set up

That cannot be true. My store is currently recieving the home reinvention and electronics experience remodel. So as been said it is just a pilot. Someone recieved miscommunication as usual for spot.

That sucks, because the model has actually been pretty good at our store. It looks good and gives our store a classier feel, and since our store is fairly new it doesn't feel all that out of place. It is a bit annoying finding things in it, but it looks fairly good and the guests seem to like it.

Well...that's gonna be a problem for all of those VML positions.

Exactly what I was thinking. Man sure glad target went all in on that VML position which ultimately has less impact on the store in general as me a PA but probably gets paid 50%+ more than I do. We never even got the Home Reno in my store so my VML is basically a glorified Softlines TM who gets paid way WAY more than anyone else working over there. I feel like most of their day is just zoning, folding tables, changing manequins and pushing out reshop for softlines. I have nothing against my VML but the position itself at my store is stupid for the paygrade they receive

Last edited:
Exactly what I was thinking. Man sure glad target went all in on that VML position which ultimately has less impact on the store in general as me a PA but probably gets paid 50%+ more than I do. We never even got the Home Reno in my store so my VML is basically a glorified Softlines TM who gets paid way WAY more than anyone else working over there. I feel like most of their day is just zoning, folding tables, changing manequins and pushing out reshop for softlines. I have nothing against my VML but the position itself at my store is stupid for the paygrade they receive
So true, I have nothing against VMLs but if their paygrade is N17, then PAs should be N13 for all the work we do.

Okay so I got an update from one of the TL's in charge of the unremodel-remodel, turns out that not all the table/shelf displays will be going away.

The tables by small appliances, and possibly some in dishware will be going bye bye.
Lightbulbs, home storage and all that will be going back to their original spots in our store.
Kids bedding might also lose tables, but they won't know for sure until they start on Monday.
Furniture is supposed to remain untouched for the most part.

On my store's new housewears adj the two tables in appliances are missing. Also they do not have a pog in the VA book.

Did this happen to anyone else? I did not see a pmt build prodject to extend the gondolas or take away the tables.

My store doesn't have home reno but has a VML position. She still takes care of all mannequins in softlines, all displays and focals in home, and adjacencies in softlines. Our softlines TLs do more of just a general leadership role in that area of the store. VMLs in home reno stores won't have to deal with all the fancy open furniture flats and weird shelving once it's removed, but they'll still have a lot of work to do.

My store doesn't have home reno but has a VML position. She still takes care of all mannequins in softlines, all displays and focals in home, and adjacencies in softlines. Our softlines TLs do more of just a general leadership role in that area of the store. VMLs in home reno stores won't have to deal with all the fancy open furniture flats and weird shelving once it's removed, but they'll still have a lot of work to do.

Same in our store. She also does the seasonal and is a back up cashier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back