Archived So, my first real day at Target (after orientation)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, my thoughts here are about my particular store. I am not criticizing the entire Target company, and yes, I know that these things can happen in almost any retail environment. It's nothing I haven't experienced before. Just sharing my thoughts.

For those who don't know, I was hired last week as a seasonal Sales Floor Team Member.

The good:
- I did have to learn the cash register at first. It is probably the easiest, most straight-foward register I've dealt with.
- On the sales floor, I really liked the opportunity to do some tasks by myself. For example, re-folding a section of pants yesterday.

The bad:
- Way too much complaining, whining, and moaning and groaning from other team members. There were carts and pallets of stuff that had to be put away or re-shopped, shelves/endcaps that had to be changed, and sections that had to be straightened/zoned/front-faced. So much time was spent standing around and groaning about having to do the work, it was ridiculous. Why don't we just, you know, actually start doing it so that it can be done with? The person who trained me was appalled that we had two carts (no bigger than regular shopping carts) of stuff that had to be re-shopped. I was taking items out and going around the store, putting them away faster than her.**By the way, the team members who acted like this were of all age groups and experience levels. It was not just newer team members or younger people.**
- Training for the sales floor tasks was not clear. Again, there was so much eye-rolling, mumbling, and complaining that no one would give me a straight answer when I tried to ask what we were doing, what we usually do on what day, etc.

So, overall, I like the floor work itself - when I can actually get a definite answer as to what I should do or whether it's okay for me to start working on ___.

I wish I could give you some hope, but that seems pretty typical of some team members. I'm not saying all across the board, but I know at my store there's a lot or griping and complaining (usually about each other, or why they have to do something when it's so and so's job to do it, etc.). The best thing you can do is just work hard and do what needs to get done. Not sure if you're wanting to stay with Target for a while but that's the best way to do it.

The best thing you can do is just work hard and do what needs to get done. Not sure if you're wanting to stay with Target for a while but that's the best way to do it.

I was hoping to stay for at least a few months after the seasonal period (assuming they keep me). Now I'm thinking of putting out applications after December and seeing if I get any calls.

dont give up! learn other workcenters, it could lead to other things. all stores have complainers, because they "might' have to work get a pay check.
but, there are good tm's like retail girl & other members, who take it all in stride. i am sorry your trainer is bad. if i was your trainer, i give you proper training without complaints.

i would show how to be fast, fun & friendly.

My only real complaint about the sales floor was the lack of training and the overload of work for the small salesfloor team each day. Softlines I was just thrown into it. No training on how neat the tables are supposed to be, brand folding, and certainly no guy is going to know a whole lot on how to decipher intimates.

Then all my floor training consisted of here is how you read planogram numbers when you scan them with Item search to do reshop.with Hardlines with only 2 TMs + Electronics TM. You really can't get a whole lot accomplished. We basically had one person for A B C, another for C D F, and Electronics had Eletronics/MMB/Toys/Seasonal. Try doing a perfect zone in just over 4-5 hours before closing. On top of that cover breaks for FA and electronics, and back up the lanes which was every 20-30 minutes.

Last edited:
It's possible that you've got a store that has a major case of burnout.
The grumbling, whining, and *****ing tends to come out of a feeling that there is no hope, no support from the top and no sense of team.
The only people who can really beat this is a good bunch of ETLs or one really badass STL.

First of all, my thoughts here are about my particular store. I am not criticizing the entire Target company, and yes, I know that these things can happen in almost any retail environment. It's nothing I haven't experienced before. Just sharing my thoughts.

For those who don't know, I was hired last week as a seasonal Sales Floor Team Member.

The good:
- I did have to learn the cash register at first. It is probably the easiest, most straight-foward register I've dealt with.
- On the sales floor, I really liked the opportunity to do some tasks by myself. For example, re-folding a section of pants yesterday.

The bad:
- Way too much complaining, whining, and moaning and groaning from other team members. There were carts and pallets of stuff that had to be put away or re-shopped, shelves/endcaps that had to be changed, and sections that had to be straightened/zoned/front-faced. So much time was spent standing around and groaning about having to do the work, it was ridiculous. Why don't we just, you know, actually start doing it so that it can be done with? The person who trained me was appalled that we had two carts (no bigger than regular shopping carts) of stuff that had to be re-shopped. I was taking items out and going around the store, putting them away faster than her.**By the way, the team members who acted like this were of all age groups and experience levels. It was not just newer team members or younger people.**
- Training for the sales floor tasks was not clear. Again, there was so much eye-rolling, mumbling, and complaining that no one would give me a straight answer when I tried to ask what we were doing, what we usually do on what day, etc.

So, overall, I like the floor work itself - when I can actually get a definite answer as to what I should do or whether it's okay for me to start working on ___.

Maybe you shouldn't gossip and complain about other team members and be an actual beacon of purity and respect. If you have questions, ask them.

dont give up! learn other workcenters, it could lead to other things. all stores have complainers, because they "might' have to work get a pay check.
but, there are good tm's like retail girl & other members, who take it all in stride. i am sorry your trainer is bad. if i was your trainer, i give you proper training without complaints.

i would show how to be fast, fun & friendly.

^This...
Don't let the complainers get you down. Just do a good job and the right people will see that!

I try to save my complaints for here,but sometimes I do leak at the store,but only to my friends.

Watch your back!

Anyways, you'll soon realize the pessimistic attitude is because of the repetitive/cyclical nature of retail and how hours are cut and productivity is expected to increase as a result.

Maybe you shouldn't gossip and complain about other team members and be an actual beacon of purity and respect. If you have questions, ask them.

Umm, did you actually read what I wrote? If you did, you would see that I was the one doing work. I specifically mentioned that I spent more time putting items away than the actual trainer. I was not intending to gossip or complain. I was sharing my thoughts HERE, HERE ONLY, in the EXACT same way that everyone else on this board does. I made none of these comments to the actual people I worked with. Why have this board if every bit of venting/experience-sharing is going to be "gossip"?

And excuse me if I think that, no matter how long you have worked somewhere, someone IS writing you a paycheck and you have to EARN it.

hey i'm pretty sure you work at my store! On your first day, did you wear a pair of spotlessly clean shoes that were way out of your price range and were you followed around by a camera crew? Because if you are who I think you are orchid, I really hate all of the complaining too. Half the people could get quadruple the amount of work done in about a third of the hours currently being used. I was raised by ferral dogs and taught myself k thru 12 education with second hand books and chalk that I bought with the money I earned picking strawberries. I am working my way through college right now but am over 500,000 in debt. I want to be a regional team leader and market a product I designed called boots and barkley bootstraps. They are a trendy shoe accessorie that you use to lift yourself into the up and up when you are faced with difficult scenarios.

Don't give in to the pessimism. It sounds like you're on your way to being one of the "TMs that gets things done". Keep doing what you're doing, avoid the politics/pettiness & eventually TLs will be fighting to get you on their team.
And, no, it's not gossip.
Keep your chin up.

And excuse me if I think that, no matter how long you have worked somewhere, someone IS writing you a paycheck and you have to EARN it.

Some new tm's who I had trained, some got the understanding & some didn't get it. I would take you in a heart beat.

The good:

The bad:

Agreed. I don't understand, that in an anti-union company, they don't fire people who DESERVE to be fired? There are people who are not team players and absolutely detest helping us when we ask for it; do appalling zones; and are all around just miserable people and yet they keep her? I've asked: "Why is she still here if she's so terrible?" No one can give me an answer. My trainer once said: "After your probation, it's almost impossible to get fired unless you steal or commit sexual assault." I'm starting to think he's right, because if I had the option to hire/fire people, I'd clear out A LOT of the team members. I get that your life can be stressful and miserable, but don't take it out on your team members: it's not our fault. We're just there to do our job. PERIOD! If our store would clean up some of the people (Upper and lower); Target would be an awesome place to work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back