Archived So my HR TL called me in today

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a leader, leaving money unsecured is a final, so I would assume it will be for you too. This means that if you do it again, you will get fired. If he comes in again, tell him you need a supervisor to take that much cash, and tell LOD you need Supervisor Numbers. They will come for that. Make him wait for the LOD or GSTL to come.

For a leader, leaving money unsecured is a final, so I would assume it will be for you too. This means that if you do it again, you will get fired. If he comes in again, tell him you need a supervisor to take that much cash, and tell LOD you need Supervisor Numbers. They will come for that. Make him wait for the LOD or GSTL to come.

Well I haven't signed anything yet but i'm assuming a write up will be coming soon which I understand and take responsibility for. To be up for being fired I think is a stretch. Either way, I just have to wait and see.

I also told my LOD the situation and he never came to the front. So there's that. And the GSA that night isn't trained in Cash Office so she couldn't go in there either. Plus she was on her 30.

Dude, all things considered, a termination shouldn't be their first option. Target knows that guests paying large quantities in small sums (i.e. pennies) could happen at any moment. They should have a procedure for such a thing; if they don't, that's not your fault. Irresponsibly forgetting about such a huge amount is your fault, but that you didn't have another recourse is theirs.

I work Guest Services, too. Most often I'm alone. Your story is helping me, though, because I'm going to ask what that procedure would be at our store next time I go in to work. Honestly, I don't know what I would have done in your situation. Except, maybe, call AP when the LOD wasn't responding.

Dude, all things considered, a termination shouldn't be their first option. Target knows that guests paying large quantities in small sums (i.e. pennies) could happen at any moment. They should have a procedure for such a thing; if they don't, that's not your fault. Irresponsibly forgetting about such a huge amount is your fault, but that you didn't have another recourse is theirs.

I work Guest Services, too. Most often I'm alone. Your story is helping me, though, because I'm going to ask what that procedure would be at our store next time I go in to work. Honestly, I don't know what I would have done in your situation. Except, maybe, call AP when the LOD wasn't responding.

Agreed. I take responsibility for what I did in leaving the money where it was. I believe a write up should also happen for me leaving it out and not putting it in a secure drawer. I just don't think it warrants a termination. AP wasn't working so that wasn't even an option.

All in singles...seems a bit awkward I think. Probably would call AP to examine the bills. Overwhelming a cashier with a large amount of individual bills is a suspicious sign of counterfeit.

In the case like this where a cashier receives a number of bills that exceed the storage capacity of the till, you always call the GSTL/GSA or ETL immediately. They can always place it in the safe/cash drawer and notate it came from your register. If the ETL was slow to respond, you keep calling them and tell them its an immediate need at GS. You are responsible for the money in the till.

If you are not certain of procedure, always ask questions.

Last edited:
In my other line of work, it's common for us to delay reaching a decision until we've covered all our bases.

Just stay cool, keep doing what you do, and just learn from the mistake.

IF I were silly enough to work at GS and IF I got paid enough to handle money (I don’t) and this happened to me I would have walked the money over to the AP office and banged on the door and said here take this. If nobody was in there I would literally stuff it under the door and let them deal with it later.

But this is EXACTLY why I don’t want to handle money at Target. I am extremely prone to forgetting things and I absolutely would leave a thick wad of cash somewhere and forget about it, and then I’d be toast. And like I always say, I’m here to get this bread, not this toast.

Sometimes you don't get a second chance on things....even if you've got a completely clean HR folder.
The amount of money is what the biggest problem is. The fact that you forgot is and the amount is more than likely enough to get you terminated.
With that amount of money, no matter how busy you were the expectation would be that you kept calling until you got someone to get the money.
There had to be more than one person in the store that could have come for the money.
You probably should have continued to call on the walkie...and press the "additional assistance" button on one of the registers at GS. You never should have put the money down.

If the HR has to talk to someone else about what to do....that doesn't sound good.

I wish you luck, but I'm afraid that you will probably be terminated.

You did call for assistance from LOD. Frankly, if you are in trouble, same for LOD who ignored guest service/gsa.
The problem here is that there must have been more than one LOD in the store who could have gotten the money. LOD may get a CA, and TM might be gone.

I'm a GSTM. If this had happened to me, I do not care how long the line is, no one is getting helped until LOD/GSA/GSTL/AP comes. I know easier said than done but with that much money you can't be playing around. I would've just kept repeating "GSTL or LOD, can you come to Guest Service for Guest Assistance as soon as possible" until someone got so annoyed they just came up. Also on BF weekend I assume ETL GE would've been there... they or GSTL should've been helping you if it was that busy.

Now if I was HR... because the $ was recovered, I wouldn't fire you, but definitely final and probably move you away from GS.

The problem here is that there must have been more than one LOD in the store who could have gotten the money. LOD may get a CA, and TM might be gone.

I made a general LOD call over walkie and no one responded until after the 4th or 5th time. At this time, I take responsibility for not remembering it but it was never intentional. If they want to move me from Guest Service, that's their call. I notified my ETL of the amount and they never came, GSA was gone on their 30, and no one came to help me on backup at Guest Service.

Sometimes you don't get a second chance on things....even if you've got a completely clean HR folder.
The amount of money is what the biggest problem is. The fact that you forgot is and the amount is more than likely enough to get you terminated.
With that amount of money, no matter how busy you were the expectation would be that you kept calling until you got someone to get the money.
There had to be more than one person in the store that could have come for the money.
You probably should have continued to call on the walkie...and press the "additional assistance" button on one of the registers at GS. You never should have put the money down.

If the HR has to talk to someone else about what to do....that doesn't sound good.

I wish you luck, but I'm afraid that you will probably be terminated.

Thanks and yep I regret that, putting the money down. I have already begun the process of looking for another job just in case. As of right now though, they still have me working guest service. As i'm working this area tonight.

Call for a skim, lots of cash call for a skim, they come and take the excess and put in the cash office. Any ETL can do it, and if you get one on the radio, go to three explain to you have a large amount of cash need it pulled from your drawer. They will.. But if you can't cram it all in your register, you stop dead and keep calling.

It's a big learning experience, but with money you just can't forget. And it takes some experience to get that backbone to stop dead if you need to, to know its that time to stop dead. You would not be this upset or worried if you didn't care. I hope the best for you.

Call for a skim, lots of cash call for a skim, they come and take the excess and put in the cash office. Any ETL can do it, and if you get one on the radio, go to three explain to you have a large amount of cash need it pulled from your drawer. They will.. But if you can't cram it all in your register, you stop dead and keep calling.

It's a big learning experience, but with money you just can't forget. And it takes some experience to get that backbone to stop dead if you need to, to know its that time to stop dead. You would not be this upset or worried if you didn't care. I hope the best for you.

I know and I take responsibility for putting the bag down. I notified my ETL and they told me to just take the guest's word for the amount and put it through. I took from what I know to be the necessary precautions until I put the bag down which I know is my fault and my mistake.

I know and I take responsibility for putting the bag down. I notified my ETL and they told me to just take the guest's word for the amount and put it through. I took from what I know to be the necessary precautions until I put the bag down which I know is my fault and my mistake.

It's ok, we all learn from mistakes. Breathe. I am in no way putting you down. It's a learned thing to know its that important, it's ok. I have done some dumb stuff in my day we all have. Ok? :)

Do you have AP? If I couldn't get an LOD I would call AP to take charge of it until it could be counted properly. Or at least ask them what I should do about it to cover my ass until the GSTL or LOD showed up.

Yeah, it was a serious mistake, but your leadership telling you to take a guy's word for it for $1000 cash is pretty damn ridiculous. Nice guy or not, coming in on BLACK FRIDAY to pay your CC bill with $1000 worth of singles should set off klaxon alarms in the head of anyone taking that money. That's some seriously sketchy shit, right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back