Archived So my HR TL called me in today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Taking care of that bag of money is more important than having a few guests wait a bit longer. If the LOD didn't respond, ask for a TL. Anyone who can either a) take the $ bag and secure it or b) handle GS for you to physically walk the bag to LOD yourself. Those would've been my choices if faced with this (incredibly odd) scenario.

So, just to be clear, you only have one drawer at GS that has a lock on it and it’s used for the change fund? Seems odd that there is only one locked drawer - my store has three locked drawers at GS. What sort of bag was this money in? I wonder who found it.
My store no longer has any locking drawers at GS. However, we do have a slot that dumps into the cash office, which would have been ideal for this specific situation. We also use that slot for lost-and-found of anything reasonably valuable or containing identifying information.

That’s good! I didn’t think of that. But then again, I havn’t worked guest service in a looong time. I do remember thinking at the time though that it is a bit unfair to take the risk being fired for making a ‘cash’ mistake as a GS/cashier when there is almost NO mistake that a salesfloor person would make that could be serious enough to get fired for. Same as closing LOD routines, many ‘mistakes’ or things forgotten to lock/close/check can get you immediately fired. Risky situations come with those positions that are given responsibility. If I were you, and tended to forget important stuff, I would never cashier/work gs again, transfer to salesfloor or flex and have a job next year, cause if you are given this chance, it’s probably the LAST “mistake” you’ll be allowed to make.

1) That cash would have fit in that register somehow. You can’t convince me otherwise.

2) You should be placed on a final warning, not fired, and your LOD should be put on some sort of corrective as well because you were set up to fail in terms of leadership response.

From what I can dig up, US bills are .0043 inches thick, so 1000 bills (at a max) would be 4.3", in brand-new bills. I'm assuming these weren't new bills nicely packaged, and if it wast mostly singles instead of all singles, we're probably looking at between 4" and 6" or so, total, accounting for crumpled bills and whatnot. Most register drawers are. what, 3" or so? The bills likely wouldn't come close to fitting in the dollar bill slot, or under the cash tray, so where do you put them? Do you start filling the other bill slots? Put them behind the tray? Is there room? I haven't really looked that closely at the drawers, if I'm honest. But if you do that, then you risk trying to shove them in somehow and maybe some bills get lodged behind the drawer or something like that, and meanwhile GS is backing up even more and the drawer is sitting there open and there's all this cash on display...

Yeah, SnowWhite messed up, but I'm on the side that leadership also fucked up, and as leaders they shouldn't have hung a GS person out to dry like that and if they have any integrity at all they'd own their own part in it, too.

The money was still at the desk, right? It didn't get stolen or go missing?

A bundle of $1000 in ones is a fucking 2-brick stack.
If you were close enough to your cash office drop slot, I'd have printed an extra copy of the receipt, stuck it in the bag with the cash & dropped it in the cash drop slot.

Finally, somebody else who has actually handled cash in their life.
It's a massive amount of cash, physically. How could you put it down and move on?

So, just to be clear, you only have one drawer at GS that has a lock on it and it’s used for the change fund? Seems odd that there is only one locked drawer - my store has three locked drawers at GS. What sort of bag was this money in? I wonder who found it.

No there is only 1 locked drawer and that is the change drawer. It was in a plastic bag inside 2 Dunkin Donuts bags. Odd, I know, but that's what it is.

1) That cash would have fit in that register somehow. You can’t convince me otherwise.

2) You should be placed on a final warning, not fired, and your LOD should be put on some sort of corrective as well because you were set up to fail in terms of leadership response.

It wouldn't fit inside the drawer without me taking out the empty change slots which is what I was originally doing. I, for whatever reason, didn't stick the money in the drawer because it wouldn't fit at the time. I can't exactly tell you what went through my head at that time. All I know it wasn't intentional nor did I mean any direct harm by it.

Finally, somebody else who has actually handled cash in their life.
It's a massive amount of cash, physically. How could you put it down and move on?

I agree with you and once again I can't explain to you with why I did what I did but I had no intentions on doing anything with the money. I was truthful with management and everything I told them corroborated with what was on the security tapes.

From what I can dig up, US bills are .0043 inches thick, so 1000 bills (at a max) would be 4.3", in brand-new bills. I'm assuming these weren't new bills nicely packaged, and if it wast mostly singles instead of all singles, we're probably looking at between 4" and 6" or so, total, accounting for crumpled bills and whatnot. Most register drawers are. what, 3" or so? The bills likely wouldn't come close to fitting in the dollar bill slot, or under the cash tray, so where do you put them? Do you start filling the other bill slots? Put them behind the tray? Is there room? I haven't really looked that closely at the drawers, if I'm honest. But if you do that, then you risk trying to shove them in somehow and maybe some bills get lodged behind the drawer or something like that, and meanwhile GS is backing up even more and the drawer is sitting there open and there's all this cash on display...

Yeah, SnowWhite messed up, but I'm on the side that leadership also fucked up, and as leaders they shouldn't have hung a GS person out to dry like that and if they have any integrity at all they'd own their own part in it, too.

The money was still at the desk, right? It didn't get stolen or go missing?

No It didn't go missing, it was exactly where I said left it after retracing my steps with management as well as AP the following day I worked. I remained 100% truthful and my story matched up with what was on camera with everything I told them.

Honestly the only person here whose intentions I call into question are the leadership that didn’t want to respond and basically told the Tm not to check/count the bills, and the guest bringing in a fishy amount of bills on a regular basis. Like... when you do have AP are they sleeping or something? It sounds like an almost certain case of counterfeit bills to me.

It could also be someone whose been bringing in legit 1s for a couple of years and has proven trustworthy in the eyes of the leadership that's been there that long. Not a reason to say trust without verify, but certainly an excuse why someone would say that about a specific guest.

That many inches, my only guess for fitting it would be to take out the plastic piece that holds the bills and change and dump it all into the register with the $1000 on top. I'm sure making that kind of unholy mess of the drawer would also be a CA.

That’s good! I didn’t think of that. But then again, I havn’t worked guest service in a looong time. I do remember thinking at the time though that it is a bit unfair to take the risk being fired for making a ‘cash’ mistake as a GS/cashier when there is almost NO mistake that a salesfloor person would make that could be serious enough to get fired for. Same as closing LOD routines, many ‘mistakes’ or things forgotten to lock/close/check can get you immediately fired. Risky situations come with those positions that are given responsibility. If I were you, and tended to forget important stuff, I would never cashier/work gs again, transfer to salesfloor or flex and have a job next year, cause if you are given this chance, it’s probably the LAST “mistake” you’ll be allowed to make.
Last night, I found the electronics stockroom door WIDE OPEN. No one even talked to about it. Closest thing to a "slap on the wrist" was the disappointed ( i.e. pissed off) voices of me and the SFTL over the walkie when I asked whether someone was working in there and let her know that it was just left open and that I had closed it.

Yeah, SnowWhite messed up...
Me:
images.jpeg
Yeah, I work in A&A...

That being said, I worked for almost 4 years as a cashier at an UHV Walmart, so I'm never leaving $1,000 in 1s just sitting around. I don't care if it's Black Friday or the Second Coming of Christ, you can bet I would have been on that LODs ass until someone could get that to the cash office, even if it meant a line back to the fitting room and setting off the alarm systems.

But that's just me.

Me:
View attachment 6734
Yeah, I work in A&A...

That being said, I worked for almost 4 years as a cashier at an UHV Walmart, so I'm never leaving $1,000 in 1s just sitting around. I don't care if it's Black Friday or the Second Coming of Christ, you can bet I would have been on that LODs ass until someone could get that to the cash office, even if it meant a line back to the fitting room and setting off the alarm systems.

But that's just me.

That's you, me and anyone with an IQ of room temperature or higher.

It took me a very long time to count it. I don't even remember how long it took. I know I shouldn't have and I regret not doing it now. I really didnt know what else to do. Next time I'll just hold on to it. It was just hectic night and it wouldn't fit in the cash drawer nor in the register unless I took out the drawer. I was the only 1 over GS.

Wait, you took the time to count the money....you said that you were very busy and you were concerned about the guests in line. It didn't seem to bother you to count the cash, so after doing that, then you put the money on the shelf?

You're not being clear......you said that you didn't count the money because the LOD said it was OK.
Then this post from above says that ,yes, you did count it.
Which was it?
Counted...or not?

Well....we're here to Saturday. Since you're still talking about what happened I am guessing that they decided not to fire you. If they were going to fire you I'd have thought that they'd have done it by now.

When I worked at Borders as the Office Manager I counted cash every morning.
It was a week before Christmas and I finished out the count with it being $3500 short.
I proceeded to turn out my pockets for the cameras benefit and call the MOD.
When Erin heard what was wrong he did a quick count (I'd already done it 5 times) and then turned out his pockets.

After way too many headaches we figured out the music manager had done a drawer pull the night before and got snagged by a customer at the Information Desk.
He put the lockbag in a cubby in the desk and what always happens when you are at the Information Desk at Christmas happened.
He was locked up with customers for the next hour and forgot the bag.

Shit happens.

He didn't get fired, though I did hide shoplifting tags in his boots so the alarm went off every time he walked out the door.

This is why you shouldn't care about the guest. I don't. That line woulda waited and I would have told them I can do anything until someone secures the money
Fuck the guest. Make them all wait. Half the time they don't know what they even want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back