Specialty Sales to take over home and seasonal

Not sure if I posted this in the correct forum

This started as a rumor but now rumors have been confirmed but no additional information. Does anyone have any information on Home and Seasonal becoming a part of Specialty Sales?

In an indirect way it has already been. The vm or vml were to work on the presentation of aisles and displays already the past couple years.

This started as a rumor but now rumors have been confirmed but no additional information. Does anyone have any information on Home and Seasonal becoming a part of Specialty Sales?
Does that mean the GM TLs in charge of Home & Seasonal will be reconfigured and moved to SS? Our Seasonal is with Toys & Bullseye and our Home TL also has kitchen, bath, plastics. Are they both a SSTL once that changes? Or do all TL roles reconfigure in this instance?

It wouldn't make sense to move a GM TL to SS imo. GM makes more money headcount wise (at least at my store). I would think who ever owns Tech and beauty and (in ulv stores) tech, beauty, and style would take over the workload/vmgs for home decor and seasonal. It's overwhelming to think of while Style workload/truck/pricing has been massive adding on those departments too.

At my store, we have three style TLs, one covering tech and one covering Beauty in addition to their style departments. One is going to now be a SSTL and will cover beauty, tech and home with the other two splitting up style. I had not heard anything about Seasonal being added, but it makes sense.

Idk how this works in a store without a SSETL, but maybe your store is adding that position in the near-future?

What all are we talking about with Home here? The old fill group Home included stuff in Dec Home and Kitchen. Currently for sales reporting purposes Home includes Domestics, Dec Home, Kitchen, Stationary, Storage and Utility, and Seasonal/Outdoor Living. My store uses "home" as shorthand for Dec Home + Domestics (Bed & Bath).

So what exactly is included? And, where is this infor coming froming? Is it a District, Group, or Regional thing. Or, is this some new corporate directive?

And, just as speculation how do you even give Seasonal to specialty sales when so many seasonal sets rely on receiving product that normally go in GM?

I haven’t heard of it and we have 2 style etls and 3 Tl. I could see how they would take b-flat and h&h but seasonal is no way . That area sets every seasons and besides vm is there only for odl. Is not like they can color coordinate pencils and pouches during bts, 😂

I haven’t heard of it and we have 2 style etls and 3 Tl. I could see how they would take b-flat and h&h but seasonal is no way . That area sets every seasons and besides vm is there only for odl. Is not like they can color coordinate pencils and pouches during bts, 😂
Are you sure you have 2 style ETLs? Or are they specialty?

And, just as speculation how do you even give Seasonal to specialty sales when so many seasonal sets rely on receiving product that normally go in GM?
I think it could work if seasonal was a vmg. I know it seems far fetched but would make sense since VM is under specialty sales umbrella.

I think it could work if seasonal was a vmg. I know it seems far fetched but would make sense since VM is under specialty sales umbrella.

BTS is bad enough for fulfillment as is. I can't even imagine how bad it would be for them as a VMG. Stores that are stuck with the stupid post-Christmas Fresh Start set (or whatever they hell they call it) would be crazy with almost every single GM DBO having some of their stuff in Seasonal somewhere on a VMG. Good luck trying to keep that organized and decent-looking.

It would be the areas of home with VMGs, so Hearth & Hand along with most of Decorative Home if you have the new layout.

What all are we talking about with Home here? The old fill group Home included stuff in Dec Home and Kitchen. Currently for sales reporting purposes Home includes Domestics, Dec Home, Kitchen, Stationary, Storage and Utility, and Seasonal/Outdoor Living. My store uses "home" as shorthand for Dec Home + Domestics (Bed & Bath).

So what exactly is included? And, where is this infor coming froming? Is it a District, Group, or Regional thing. Or, is this some new corporate directive?

"Home & Seasonal" as HQ/the company uses it includes the same things as the sales reporting. It's one area with all those workcenters in it. (Dec Home, Domestics, Storage/Utility, Stationery, Seasonal/ODL).

And to add more to the mystery, the 2022 TL Job Descriptions have Home & Seasonal under Specialty Sales TL. It doesn't go into what responsibilities or how much they would own (ex. Full ownership vs. just VMG sets).

I remember at one of the remodeled stores in my ar a that the specialty sales ETL directly oversaw Hearth and Hand. Maybe this is just a weird extension of that.

This wouldn't make sense at my store. We have one specialty sales TL who's direct boss is the store director. I will say though, owning Hardlines, home, incremental Space, BP, and fulfillment was a little much for my position (there were only two GM TL and the other did inbound and essentials). Though I loved having home. And loved having hardlines. I wouldn't want to give up either

Theyre moving back to the idea of sales floor ETLs essentially with modernized names. Specialty will own Home and Seasonal as divisions so that means stationary kitchen domestics dec home storage and seasonal. Majority of stores will go down in GMTL headcount and up in specialty headcount by 1. Since really the only thing changing is the etl that oversees these areas, most stores will be business as usual with the TL and TMs just reporting to a different ETL. Essentially the sales floor will now be split 50/50 in terms of sales mix but Gm will still own fufillment and the inbound.

No change with VMGs, total headcount, process or operations really the only difference is ETL leadership

Theyre moving back to the idea of sales floor ETLs essentially with modernized names. Specialty will own Home and Seasonal as divisions so that means stationary kitchen domestics dec home storage and seasonal. Majority of stores will go down in GMTL headcount and up in specialty headcount by 1. Since really the only thing changing is the etl that oversees these areas, most stores will be business as usual with the TL and TMs just reporting to a different ETL. Essentially the sales floor will now be split 50/50 in terms of sales mix but Gm will still own fufillment and the inbound.

No change with VMGs, total headcount, process or operations really the only difference is ETL leadership

Some of us have Inbound and Fulfillment completely separate, with their own ETLs too, so for us, that would leave GM pretty dry.

Some of us have Inbound and Fulfillment completely separate, with their own ETLs too, so for us, that would leave GM pretty dry.
Ehhh not really that’s why it’s based off sales dollar, the split will now be 50/50 in terms of sales ownership. The TLs will be based off the workload but this was more about fairness from the etl compensation. Didn’t make sense for an etl being in charge of 75% of sales volume and make the same.

The big difference is that Home/Seasonal is pretty engrained into the GM/Inbound process. Much more than beauty or style. Most stores have GM Experts jump around departments to complete freight, or OFOs, POGs, etc. Especially since many districts want all freight done by X time in the day.

So it'll be interesting to see how it works as a Specialty workcenter. For example, half of the line (most of P2) is for these areas for most stores. It's a lot of freight for GM/inbound to not be handing directly after the actual unload is done.

Are you sure you have 2 style ETLs? Or are they specialty?
2 speciality etls I guess you can call them .
P1 1 etl 2 Tl, p2 1 etl 3tl ( and 4th for opu no sfs in my store ) inbound 1 etl 2 Tl and 3 off-site Tl , market 1 etl 3 Tl , se etl 1 ,4 Tl . Specially 2 etl 3 tl, hr 1 etl 1 tl, 2 closing leads . 1 ap etl

Last edited:
2 speciality etls I guess you can call them .
P1 1 etl 2 Tl, p2 1 etl 3tl ( and 4th for opu no sfs in my store ) inbound 1 etl 2 Tl and 3 off-site Tl , market 1 etl 3 Tl , se etl 1 ,4 Tl . Specially 2 etl 3 tl, hr 1 etl 1 tl, 2 closing leads . 1 ap etl
Sounds like a gigantic store 😬

Ehhh not really that’s why it’s based off sales dollar, the split will now be 50/50 in terms of sales ownership. The TLs will be based off the workload but this was more about fairness from the etl compensation. Didn’t make sense for an etl being in charge of 75% of sales volume and make the same.

What happens to stores that only have a GM ETL whose SSTLs are direct reports to the SD?

One small nighmarish thing that crossed my mind is that if and when the current Home & Seasonal DBOs get reclassified to specaility sales they're going to have to do all the onboard training. That is going to suck.

Is it just in my area or is this similar to the alignment of Small Format stores? With Tech/Beauty&HBA/Home being under one TL and then Style/SE with another.

Back