Archived Staples takes a stand, will close stores on Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time they tried to ask me about going home early, I just gave them a level look until they just stopped.
They eventually stopped asking.

Last year they put my two shifts in such a way that I didn't get much of the holiday pay and the other bonus coins for thanksgiving. And I didn't get any of the overnight differential because my second shift was an evening shift. And I'm assuming the earlier they open the less possibility of me getting a piece of those extra bonus quarters. I think it's a dollar this year for the big shopping weekends.

Here's an idea: Move Cyber Monday to the morning of Thanksgiving, keep stores closed throughout the day, and let everyone enjoy the holiday.

Only a complete and utter moron goes out shopping on a holiday.

Just found out we'll be opening at 7am at some point too, maybe the week of Christmas? Are people even shopping that early?
Amiibo Hunters and resellers!

God I really hope I get moved back to SFS or even thrown on SF, I really don't wanna cashier black friday again.

I just hope that more stores will join in the effort along with Staples, Costco, etc.
If we can turn back the madness that is Brown Thursday, I think everyone's lives would be better.

Uh, they're not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. It's Staples. They aren't as popular as Target, WalMart, Best Buy, The Mall, or The Internet. They're doing it to save on payroll.

Last year we had a rush for about two hours and then the store was dead. It was such a waste. Also, people in our state got the ad from the state over so people were coming in at midnight (the state next over has laws preventing stores from being open on Thanksgiving). I still remember this lady coming in pissed off because she couldn't get a TV she wanted and made the mistake of saying "Well, some of us were at dinner." Its probably the first time I've ever gotten mad at a guest and told her "Well, I didn't get to have Thanksgiving dinner this year, so sorry if I don't have much sympathy for you."

I really just want the store open all day. Black Friday is a useless practice at this point.

I'm convinced Target would look a lot better if they put an ad out starting November 1st announcing their Black Friday opening time. Air it on TV and emphasise that they're sorry for past years and that this year and in future years they sre committed to making sure employees spend time with their families for Thanksgiving and end it with saying UNLIKE SOME OTHER RETAILERS

I always volunteer for people Christmas Eve and Black Friday because I don't have kids and my family are all in other states. I miss closing early on Christmas Eve. I'm starting to feel like Bob Cratchet. Maybe I need to get some ghosts together to annoy the CEO

I always volunteer for people Christmas Eve and Black Friday because I don't have kids and my family are all in other states. I miss closing early on Christmas Eve. I'm starting to feel like Bob Cratchet. Maybe I need to get some ghosts together to annoy the CEO

You're assuming he has feelings. When it comes to business, it's every person for themselves. And he's in it for himself. I guarantee he'll be in some vacation spot, spending time with his family (all of whom he's flown there first class) and not caring a whit about you.

No judgement here. Just telling it like it is.

I'm there for myself too. If I can squeeze one more cent out of Target, than all the better.

I guess that seems shallow. I wonder if Greg Steinhafl cares?

Thing is, they're SO afraid of not getting the big sales before folks are done with their shopping.
If they'd only realize that there are ALWAYS folks who miss the door-busters & they could catch them on Friday, they could save so much in PAYROLL ALONE (rolling it back to even 6am would save 12 hours - a sizable chunk) & people will always find a way to spend if the deal is good enough.
Added advantage: Whatever Wally does on Thanksgiving, spot could adjust before opening Friday.
The added PR of allowing TMs to spend Thanksgiving with their families (dysfunctional or otherwise) could attract a FEW better applicants.

You're assuming he has feelings. When it comes to business, it's every person for themselves. And he's in it for himself. I guarantee he'll be in some vacation spot, spending time with his family (all of whom he's flown there first class) and not caring a whit about you.

No judgement here. Just telling it like it is.

I'm there for myself too. If I can squeeze one more cent out of Target, than all the better.

I guess that seems shallow. I wonder if Greg Steinhafl cares?

Oh I know he really doesn't care. I mean, he needs to get that third yacht somehow

Thing is, they're SO afraid of not getting the big sales before folks are done with their shopping.
If they'd only realize that there are ALWAYS folks who miss the door-busters & they could catch them on Friday, they could save so much in PAYROLL ALONE (rolling it back to even 6am would save 12 hours - a sizable chunk) & people will always find a way to spend if the deal is good enough.
Added advantage: Whatever Wally does on Thanksgiving, spot could adjust before opening Friday.
The added PR of allowing TMs to spend Thanksgiving with their families (dysfunctional or otherwise) could attract a FEW better applicants.

Problem is, Target knows people spend the majority of their money at the store they go to first. So that'll never happen.

Why can't Target take advantage of all the people in the country who don't want to go out on Thanksgiving? If they made it known that they were not opening until 8am on Friday, millions of people would skip shopping on Thanksgiving altogether. They could have a normal holiday AND get their doorbusters the next day. We would still have huge lines waiting at the door. Maybe bigger ones because of all the people willing to wait until Friday.

Who cares about that guy? He's not our CEO lol.

My point being ... He made horrible business decisions (or at least was at the helm as horrible decisions were being made) and left taking a severance package worth millions.

And my point was ... Does anyone think he loses a bit of sleep over it? Or while he swims through his money Scrooge McDuck style? Hell no!

So I'll squeeze every cent out of Target. Take every break, while others work through theirs. Get every bit I can, i.e.Fitbit. Take every matching 401k cent.

Re: spending time with family -
Remember that not everybody has a Norman Rockwell-type Thanksgiving.
So many families today are dysfunctional & holidays tend to amplify that so it's not surprising that people don't want to spend time together when they have a day off.
A lot of my family lives in the area & we try to get together for the holidays but it's not a do-or-die kinda thing.
My nieces & nephews will bring a few holiday orphans over & it's cool.
One kid said his mom always told him to NEVER come empty-handed so he brought a 12-pack of local brew.
Such manners ;)

I volunteer to work straight through. Last year I had 4 hours off total between Thanksgiving and Black Friday. My leadership has already confirmed it'll basically be the same shifts again. And then Christmas Eve it's pretty much certain I'll be pulling a double.

Let my coworkers with kids or tight families be at home.

Why can't Target take advantage of all the people in the country who don't want to go out on Thanksgiving? If they made it known that they were not opening until 8am on Friday, millions of people would skip shopping on Thanksgiving altogether. They could have a normal holiday AND get their doorbusters the next day. We would still have huge lines waiting at the door. Maybe bigger ones because of all the people willing to wait until Friday.
There's no guarantee that would work because if people only go to Target, they are screwed if we are out of the deal they wanted to get. If they go to Walmart at 6pm and don't get their deal, they could try Best Buy or K-Mart or any store that is also open early and has a similar deal.

There's no guarantee that would work because if people only go to Target, they are screwed if we are out of the deal they wanted to get. If they go to Walmart at 6pm and don't get their deal, they could try Best Buy or K-Mart or any store that is also open early and has a similar deal.

THIS! People need to stop blaming stores for being open on Thanksgiving. It's not the stores job to make a subjective, moral stand. It's job is to provide goods and services where there is a demand, to make profit. If people stop shopping, stores will stop being open. Plain and simple. That's why Staples is closed, because no one is fucking going to Staples for the hottest deals on printers that already cheap.

THIS! People need to stop blaming stores for being open on Thanksgiving. It's not the stores job to make a subjective, moral stand. It's job is to provide goods and services where there is a demand, to make profit. If people stop shopping, stores will stop being open. Plain and simple. That's why Staples is closed, because no one is fucking going to Staples for the hottest deals on printers that already cheap.

Forreal. Who thinks "Staples" when deciding where to go on Black Friday.

Last year's line was way shorter than my first time, but I assume it's because there are more options as far as early opens. Not less people shopping as a whole. If people miss their deal at one store and there's a similar deal elsewhere, chances are they missed it there, too, unless that store opens many hours later. They'll be in competition with the people who lined up at that second store.

I'm not opposed to this thanksgiving thing, but they certainly need to take a look at the staffing choices. You don't need 138 of us to toss these towels into this shipper, bruh. Once it dies down after the first hour, it's boring. Come through with some excitement if I gotta work and stay awake after my big ass meal (which I'll probably eat in the afternoon this year because I assume we'll open at 4pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back