Archived Starbucks Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

spotsfly

Times three
Hey everyone,

I am a somewhat new SBTL and I am really struggling with my Starbucks order. It seems that I miss or under order an item every week, and the stores around me don't often have product to spare when I ask to borrow some.

My latest issue is that because I haven't been TL long enough to know what to really expect for the summer. Every week I order more Lemonade than the week prior, and every week we seem to run out before the next order comes in. The old TLs would take Lemonade from the SF, but I know we shouldn't be doing that. I have called three stores to ask if they have any to spare, and they are all short on it, too, but I want to do better than just saying, "Oh, everyone is out of it."

Are there any experienced SBTLs that have any insight on how to order more effectively and what to expect at certain times of the year?

I'm also my store's FATL, so I am only scheduled in Starbucks part time. I receive one order per week and have to place it 5 days before it arrives.

Thank you. :)

-Spotsfly

Know thy clientele.
During the summer, double up on any components for summer drinks. This includes lemonade, teas, refresher juices/dried fruit, frap syrups/base/additives, iced cups/lids, straws, etc. You'll have to get creative when storing the extra but it will be well worth it.
Our TLs have us stock the shelves the day before our order is due so there's room for incoming stock & we can FIFO. Keeping the shelves full helps when you're printing out the next order. It also shows the quantity you ordered last so you can adjust based on sales.
The heat wave here has caused a surge in teas, fraps, iced lattes & iced coffee. We've been setting up extra pitchers for teas alone, averaging 3 pitchers of each type.

I remember going through this when I started. I drive others a bit nuts with my large orders now (I always have an extra box of cups, lids each week), but I always want to be the store others can borrow from if they need it. I am not a super high volume store, but I can come back from a weekend off and half the lemonade is gone. Which is understandable given the push in the current promotion being the shaken teas. It will take some time to manage it all.
I recommend looking up your sales (you can have it broken down with some general information under sales reports in workbench) and see what drinks are selling best for your store and keep an eye on the weather. If there's a heat wave coming in, you want to have a more than average supply to help with possible sales.
It helps my team to be involved with a white board near our ice machine. They can write down things that are close to expiring, running low, etc. I am getting ready to help manage Food Ave/Target Cafe while we transition to a new team leader and I am pretty nervous about missing one of the possible orders and letting the team down.
Hang in there, you've got this.

Over order! :)

I would over order FA/Photo/GE supplies and would take an overstock rather than an out-of-stock. I would then have neighboring stores calling me and asking for my extra.

Thank you, everyone!

It is difficult to store items due to a lack of space (we are an older store and don't have the room that newer ones do), but I am going to find a way. My team thought stocking up would be a good idea, too, since they are finding it to be pretty unpredictably busy. Our sales are through the roof, which is good! :)

I recommend looking up your sales (you can have it broken down with some general information under sales reports in workbench) and see what drinks are selling best for your store and keep an eye on the weather. If there's a heat wave coming in, you want to have a more than average supply to help with possible sales.
It helps my team to be involved with a white board near our ice machine. They can write down things that are close to expiring, running low, etc. I am getting ready to help manage Food Ave/Target Cafe while we transition to a new team leader and I am pretty nervous about missing one of the possible orders and letting the team down.
Hang in there, you've got this.

The sales idea is a great tip. I do monitor our sales, and teas are comping in the triple digits lately. :eek:

I am actually very competent when it comes to the cafe order. It's a lot easier than the SBUX one, so have no fear. :) The hardest part is the SAP portion of the order. It is easy to forget the cups, lids, etc that are ordered through SAP since Starbucks has them on the regular order guide and cafe doesn't. Out of sight, out of mind...I write myself sticky notes. :) Chemicals are also important to monitor for SAP, as are popcorn bags, hot dog wrappers, etc. The team in cafe probably prepares about the same amount of dough on weeknights and weekends, so you can make a pretty solid calculation from that and add a box or two for safety. I actually tell my team how much dough to prep according to our inventory and guest demand (I post a list weekly with the prep volume schedule). The sales are easy to divide, too, with the sales report since they aren't as generalized as Starbucks. I don't know about your store, but ours has to call ICEE for syrup bibs to be delivered. Check in on that if you don't already know. I found out the hard way. ;)

But yeah, if you have the Starbucks order down, you'll rock the cafe order. :) I am sure the team will support you, too. Good luck, and thanks again for all the insight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back