Archived Starting as TPS soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyAP

Go To Six
I will be starting as a FT TPS soon. I dont have any security experience, but I'm pretty AP minded. Moving from an electronics TM.

Anyone got an tips, comments, recommendations, advice as I dive into this pool of jello?

ULV.

As boring as they may seem at first, stay focused on executing your routines, especially when you're alone. TPS routines are a big focus right now and it'll help you in the long run to stick to them. Also, get PMRs by yourself. If you can do those two things then you'll be a star in no time.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Right now, I'm also looking for some sort of 'target ap lingo acronym decoder ring'. Is that in the megathread?

I don't know what PMR stands for, but I'm pretty adept (according to new supervisor) at _doing_ them. Everything else is going to be a learning curve mystery for me. I'm kinda eager for it. Especially since it means _I'll_never_have_to_zone_again_.

Quick run down while keeping AP stuff as confidential as possible.

Acronym ( Name ) Definition

PMR (Productive Merchandise Recovery) - Retrieval of merchandise from guest service ( basically doing anything that involves merchandise from going out the door) .
KTR ( Known Theft Report ) - Known theft of Merchandise.
EXT ( External ) External Apprehension that is referred for prosecution by AP Team Member / or Law Enforcement. (*Note Cases referred for prosecution that were not apprehended on the scene do not count as externals )
S/S ( Safety and Security ) - A incident that involves safety and security (threats , vandalism , sexual harrasment.)

theres more but thats just a quick rundown of some starter stuff.

PMR (Productive Merchandise Recovery) - Retrieval of merchandise from guest service ( basically doing anything that involves merchandise from going out the door) .
EXT ( External ) External Apprehension that is referred for prosecution by AP Team Member / or Law Enforcement. (*Note Cases referred for prosecution that were not apprehended on the scene do not count as externals )
S/S ( Safety and Security ) - A incident that involves safety and security (threats , vandalism , sexual harrasment.)

Your wording almost made me think that you weren't counting runners caught by police as apprehensions lol

My advice. STAY FOCUSED You'll learn a lot more, and it'll be very helpful down the road. Don't be afraid to ask Questions, and make friends with your fellow TM's in Electronics. They'll be "assets" worth having, as you'll be able to get them to Guest Service guests to death. (especially when your a SuperTarget with the Doors feet away from your electronics section.)

Your wording almost made me think that you weren't counting runners caught by police as apprehensions lol

Sorry. I was trying best to explain it properly.
So basically if you find out someone is passing fraudulent checks and you contact a bank to confirm fraud after the person is gone,* and refer them to law enforcement for prosecution that does not count as external. We do not get credit for these but its doing your job as AP.

Thanks all for your insights. I'm a little bit nervous (start Monday) but feeling a little better.

I'm starting to keep my ears up for various 'omg did you see that lady with the big purse, i found all these tags' sort of things. Thinking about cultivating some sort of ap-guestservice-vibe-walk thing too.

Any typical encounters you've noticed in this area for a newbie to keep aware of?

While I'm asking stupid questions....

is there a sense of 'priority' in the sorts of things you attend to?
Visible deterrence (stand at door, walks through electronics, etc), PMRs, internal vs external, that sort of stuff?

If Maslow were to make a hierarchy of 'get this stuff done' for TPS positions, what would it look like?

Congrats to you! I just learned a few days ago that I'm being promoted to TPS too, I start on the 16th or so.

While I'm asking stupid questions....

is there a sense of 'priority' in the sorts of things you attend to?
Visible deterrence (stand at door, walks through electronics, etc), PMRs, internal vs external, that sort of stuff?

If Maslow were to make a hierarchy of 'get this stuff done' for TPS positions, what would it look like?

Door time for 15-20 minutes at-least every 2 hours. Target wants you to do atleast 6 hours of it (hell no).
Walk electronics once an hour minimum

Internals usually handled by your leader.

My biggest piece of advice is to not get discouraged and ask questions. When I started, my APS and ETL had very little hope in me, but when I eventually got everything down I started to shine. Some people pick it up from the get go and are naturals while some people just take time.

Door time for 15-20 minutes at-least every 2 hours. Target wants you to do atleast 6 hours of it (hell no).
Walk electronics once an hour minimum

Word on the street is that they are lowering this limit and leaving it up to the GAPTLs in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back