Starting TL Pay - 20 years experience

What is the starting pay for a TL? I am making about $17 an hour and am approaching 20 years at Target. I was hoping for $4 raise at least but could it be less based on region?

Starting pay at my store for TL is $17. That will go up as the starting rate for others gets increased. While I can’t say it will never happen, it’s so not likely that they would give you a $4 raise. Chances are maybe you’d get $1.50-$2 raise starting out. Does depend on area but they also don’t pay extra for having keys anymore either. But then again. If you ask and get $4- kuddos to you

Starting pay at my store for TL is $17. That will go up as the starting rate for others gets increased. While I can’t say it will never happen, it’s so not likely that they would give you a $4 raise. Chances are maybe you’d get $1.50-$2 raise starting out. Does depend on area but they also don’t pay extra for having keys anymore either. But then again. If you ask and get $4- kuddos to you
They'd still do the full $4 raise because it's a pay grade change.

They'd still do the full $4 raise because it's a pay grade change.
Granted it’s been awhile since I got a promotion to TL but it sure wasn’t a $4 jump. Probably because I was already over the min start. Maybe if you make $13 which is the min and get promoted you’d get the $4. But if you are already over it. As I said, kuddos to anyone who gets that but i’d be surprised

Thanks guys. What about health benefits? Do I have to wait until next fiscal year when hours are over 30 a week? Or does promotion qualify as open enrollment?

Thanks guys. What about health benefits? Do I have to wait until next fiscal year when hours are over 30 a week? Or does promotion qualify as open enrollment?
No. Benefits are based on 29.5 weekly average for hourly tl or tm.

Last edited:
You’ve been with target for almost 20 years and just now you become a lead ? My receiver makes 24.39$ and his been there for 17
Has the pay cap for TMs been removed? I thought it was $19, maybe $21 in higher COL areas.

I was a TL previously but in early 2000s. I’ve done other jobs as primary income but it’s time to move up with target again over anything else.

No. Benefits are based on 29.5 weekly average for anyone.
Specifically, for hourly TMs in the stores. From what I researched, ETLs, SDs, and other Corporate staff (like those working in District Offices) are eligible for full benefits packages much sooner than store-based hourly TMs.

Specifically, for hourly TMs in the stores. From what I researched, ETLs, SDs, and other Corporate staff (like those working in District Offices) are eligible for full benefits packages much sooner than store-based hourly TMs.
The op is a tl & is hourly.
Exempt ones are etl, sd, etc which do get benefits faster. You are correct, there.

I believe the structure is an additional $0.50 for each year of experience, capping out at $2 for 4 years and up. That's on paper though. In practice, it largely depends on your leadership, so it could be more or less than that.

My rule of thumb is to only switch a jobs for AT LEAST a 15% pay bump.

Remember everything is negotiable and make sure you get it in writing.

That being said you are at a disadvantage because they know what you make now.

I'm not with Target anymore, but I did get a $2 raise with less than six months experience in my new role (Sales Associate -> Department Lead). I was already the highest paid entry-level associate, but I did have 4 years with Target to use to demonstrate my experience. Ask for more.

I'm not with Target anymore, but I did get a $2 raise with less than six months experience in my new role (Sales Associate -> Department Lead). I was already the highest paid entry-level associate, but I did have 4 years with Target to use to demonstrate my experience. Ask for more.
Are still with them? @soyaxo

Are still with them? @soyaxo
Nope, I loved it there, but they restructured because of the pandemic. I left on good terms. I would have stayed if COVID hadn't hit, but I got out of retail for good to become essential! :) I make almost $20 an hour now. It was the large department store that is well-known and I was there for a little over a year. The boutique with the sketchy upper management is a different company. I promise I'm not job-hopping! Lol the better job was already lined up and so leaving the boutique after leaving the department store was a very reasonable choice.

Last edited:
Back