State of Emergency.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I have to go to work? New Jersey Governor Chris Christie declared a state of emergency today.In my area, the roads are extremely dangerous during these times. The plower doesn't come until after the storm finishes. They don't salt my neighborhood before hand, so it's like an ice rink. My parents work for the state and they won't let me out of the house tomorrow. Will the store close? If not, how do I go about calling in?

I have that information, but what happens to my job if I have to call in and say I cannot come (paranoid seasonal TM who hasn't received the decision letter yet.)

Called the hotline and store, no closing. The person who answered the phone didn't know what a state of emergency was. Is it okay to just call tomorrow like 2 hours before my shift starts?

Ask for the Lod.
I have used this: 4 hours call the store, 3 hours call the store, 2 hours call the store & 800 number. At least, you can say you did call in on the night before & follow Lod directions. Looks good for you..checking in early..

A couple of years ago, (before I worked for Spot) we had a snowstorm dump nearly two feet of snow on us. They actually put a public ban on driving for a day. As I understand it, Spot was still open (so was the pizza delivery place I worked at). Employers sadly don't care about the laws their employees may have to follow if there is money to be made.

Where in Jersey are you? My understanding of State of Emergency is there are two types. One where it puts all resources at the ready and the other where nobody is permitted on the road. This one just puts resources at the ready. I don't think there is a ban on driving.

That said, whether you go to work or not a personal decision. If you don't think it's safe don't go. Unless a person has an attendance problem it shouldn't be too much of an issue. But yes, always call the store if you're calling out. Also call the hotline with your store number to find out if the store is open. I doubt highly that it would close, but with the snow they're talking about in some areas and the timing, it will def. make travel for those working overnight/early morning dangerous. People leaving at store closing tonight will face issues in some areas too.

I remember when I was teenager we had an ice storm. Basically everything was a sheet of ice. I was working at a supermarket and generally walked to work. We were still open. They said only essential personnel should be on the roads. My boss told me "You are essential personnel." I told him to send somebody to pick me up, he didn't like that idea. I didn't go to work. Nothing ever came of it, of course that was a union store.

One thing people have to remember ( yep I hate it too) Spots HQ is in Minnesota so when it snows they probably laugh at stuff like this so hence why Target never ever closes in snow.

Just because the governor says the state is closed....doesn't mean Target will close. So call your store or the crisis hotline to find out if your store is closed.

Target has a pharmacy and sells groceries therefore you are essential. At least that was the line I was fed. That being said, noone was ever given trouble for calling out. I loved working on snow days. Very few customers till later.

Yes!

Unless your store is closed, you are expected to show up.
Store crisis hotline - weather closures, snow, etc
800-888-0333 - enter your store or dc# for status. also, call your store first!

Well I live far from the east coast, but I hear MA government are advising businesses NOT to expect their workers to come in. Was just on the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back