Archived Still pretty new, very curious about HRTM position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey TBR! It's been a while. You guys were amazing helping me when I first started out at my store, and I think because of all the info available here, I did really well all through the holiday season. I was always in the top seven RedCard pushers, if not consistently hitting number two in my store at the front lanes.

Since it's slowed down quite a bit and RCs are harder to push these days at my location (I'm talking shooting down from 12 a week on good days to one or two), I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on pursuing an HR position within my store. I'd be happy if just cross-training HR on slow weeks was a possibility.

When I first hired in last September, I'd had a really great title at my last job and an AA in Social & Behavioral Sciences. It's a pretty useless degree if you have no networking skills and no experience in schools or city employment. Most people who major in it and stop before their BA go for things like Addictions Counseling or Career Counseling.

At my other job I was one of two key holders. Aside from regular cashiering duties, I'd handled returns/customer service, signage, and assisting in opening and closing (checking over the manager's numbers).

Having been almost exclusively a front lanes cashier in my time at Spot (with a ton of SSS/Playground-only shifts and some Guest Services cashiering) it's starting to feel like I sort of sold myself short by taking the first opportunity that popped up.

I'm wondering if anyone here has ever managed to get out of the front lanes in under a year. Maybe I have a big head, but considering that my last job held more responsibilities and I have an applicable (at least in HR) degree, I think I'm a bit overqualified for my current position.

Most store usually only have one HRTM which is hard to get because more have good set hours.

With a degree, you should quit and reapply for an etl or intern position

It's certainly possible, but HR might be a bit of a stretch. It depends on how your HR department is doing. If there is an opening for it, feel free to apply! Express interest to your ETL-HR and maybe even your STL. But if there is no open position, it'll be a lot harder. I've never heard of anyone splitting hours between HR and another workcenter, with the exception of one of our HRTM's picking up a Hardlines shift. I expect the reason is because HRTMs have to know so much about the company and its procedures that it's a lot of training to invest in someone who will only be picking up hours when things are slow.

It's certainly possible, but HR might be a bit of a stretch. It depends on how your HR department is doing. If there is an opening for it, feel free to apply! Express interest to your ETL-HR and maybe even your STL. But if there is no open position, it'll be a lot harder. I've never heard of anyone splitting hours between HR and another workcenter, with the exception of one of our HRTM's picking up a Hardlines shift. I expect the reason is because HRTMs have to know so much about the company and its procedures that it's a lot of training to invest in someone who will only be picking up hours when things are slow.
We had one HRTM who split between HR and softlines. She then got termed by my ETL...

Get cross train for other areas. take every chance to learn new stuff, like Starbucks. It is a great networking place for you & guests. It can lead to a mgr job at stand alone Starbucks, if you are awesome enough.

FYI- if you applied for almost any job listing on Craigslist in the human resources section, your starting rate would be $2-$3 more per hour or higher. I would think about doing HR in a small medical office in which HR and admin overlap. Just a FYI.

I think I'm a bit overqualified for my current position.
Many TMs are... You'd probably be surprised at how many of your fellow cashiers also have a degree.

We have plenty of TMs/TLs with a college education, and a few who are even pursuing masters degrees. Hell, we once had a flow TM with a doctorate in electrical engineering.

Many TMs are... You'd probably be surprised at how many of your fellow cashiers also have a degree.

We have plenty of TMs/TLs with a college education, and a few who are even pursuing masters degrees. Hell, we once had a flow TM with a doctorate in electrical engineering.

Not too surprised! One of our Food Ave TMs has a BA in aeronautical engineering. So I don't think I'm special, I just know that I might be more useful in a clerical position. I came in with a degree and prior place as a key holder from my last job; only left because Target was closer and offered a bump in pay due to experience. While holding keys probably doesn't sound like much to others who've worked in retail or have held that responsibility, I know that when I interviewed with TJ Maxx, they actually had me come in for an interview immediately without any prior application or calling in -- just because I'd mentioned it. Working solely as a cashier feels like I'm being underutilized, especially when in my first interview the LOD had mentioned we could figure out some split shifts so I could be everywhere.

So, big ego aside, I did talk to our HRTM. She said she'd see if they had the hours to train me in the office. I'm crossing my fingers for sure but not expecting anything out of it for a while.

Had someone get hired on as a cashier and he became an HRTM in about a month or so. None of us quite know how it happened, but we now have two HRTMs, he's usually there at night while the other is in the morning. I'll ask him if he did anything in specific to get into HR.

FYI- if you applied for almost any job listing on Craigslist in the human resources section, your starting rate would be $2-$3 more per hour or higher. I would think about doing HR in a small medical office in which HR and admin overlap. Just a FYI.

I actually tried this before applied for retail but finding work in my city is rough. As the hours slow down I'll probably look into something along those lines just in case HR keeps hiring external for trainees (we've had two HR trainees in my short time at our location :eek: first one disappeared after the first week, second one I haven't seen in a week and a half.)

Had someone get hired on as a cashier and he became an HRTM in about a month or so. None of us quite know how it happened, but we now have two HRTMs, he's usually there at night while the other is in the morning. I'll ask him if he did anything in specific to get into HR.

Our HRTM told me I wasn't crazy for asking (I was pretty worried about seeming like I thought I was this OMG AMAZING WORKER, but I'm just really eager to learn and not waste my degree.) She mentioned that she'd actually been cashier before HR, so it's possible, just depends on when the opportunity is available / if our ETL-HR is okay with me. She's another story, really professional and super hard to get to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back