Archived Still seasonal salvage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the breakdown ....

My store fell behind in pushing seasonal. Food, hearth and hand, trim a tree, side caps, etc.

All that fell on the price change team to pull out of location, sort between food and merchandise, and salvage and donate.

There was no planning. The schedule was written 3 weeks ago. But suddenly, it's on the pptl to "come up" a plan to handle it. But don't add hours! How do you plan for 2 months of unpushed product.

So, we pulled the whole pog team today to work it. We pulled 16 PALLETS of product out. Filled up almost the entire trailer.

Total lack of management. All that money wasted.

In total counting the floor salvage, we had 22 pallets stacked 6 feet high.

Now, we are behind on pog and pricing.

I just don't see how it falls on a team they are supposedly getting rid of to do that. If we hadn't done it, who would have?

You. They would have just scheduled you under seasonal and had you do it. That's what'll happen next time I bet.

You. They would have just scheduled you under seasonal and had you do it. That's what'll happen next time I bet.

That's the point. We weren't scheduled to do it. No one was. That's why we are now not going to finish the workload this week for pog or pricing.

Would love to see the $ figures of seasonal salvage for the 4th quarter. I’m sure it’s huge. I wonder how Cornell explains that loss line to shareholders.

There were items that never saw the salesfloor. Things I was searching for in sfs. Tons of hearth and hand. Expensive stuff we just couldn't sell v ed cause it was buried in the backroom.

"But we don't have hours to push it." Well damn, isn't this a store that sells stuff? You can't claim no hours to push product. Instead, we had to use hours to salvage it.

I mean, it doesn't take a degree to fuck up this bad. Sitting in your office cutting hours doesn't push product to the floor.

I guess this is modernization. Waste time sending it to the store. Waste time unloading the truck. Waste time not selling it. Waste time pulling it. Waste time salvaging it. Waste resources because hey, that's modern.

On my goodness... we have the same situation going on!! Had a visit recently and was told it had to be done by Friday ..haha!! No hours for p/c to do it and most of the week we have been pulled to work freight in other departments and we are still expected to get our workload done in time??!! We still have price change batches that haven't been pulled since late November of regular clearance. Why is this happening?? We have asked the LOD/ ETL several times if we can just pull it ourselves but get shot down nearly everytime. Also tried putting more Christmas clearance out on the floor to sell when it went 70% and 90% but was told it was a waste because we will make more on salvage. What is going on...doesn't anybody care anymore??

POG Fills and EXF batches!!! I can't say we weren't clean a week after Christmas but definitely not 16 pallets

POG Fills and EXF batches!!! I can't say we weren't clean a week after Christmas but definitely not 16 pallets

Same here. I purged Seasonal and Mini out of the backroom before Christmas hit, all NCF toys & d-code were pulled and flexed out, I also purged seasonal d-code for all of hardlines, and the TL pulled all d-code for home/domestics. Only area I didn't get to was Amplified Gifting,butaoftlines got that all out right after Christmas. We still ended up with a pallet's worth of salvage come out of the backroom which is what we had last year too. I'd count that as a win since we weren't worse than last year.

I don't feel like we are on our game for price change this year as there's lots in the back to be ticketed most of the time, but clearly we are better off than other stores.

Management wouldn't schedule anyone to push stuff. Air can't do POG fills and exfs. So instead of paying someone to push product to sell at regular price, we paid people to pull it and salvage it and send it back. Guess it's a modern concept I don't understand.

Management wouldn't schedule anyone to push stuff. Air can't do POG fills and exfs. So instead of paying someone to push product to sell at regular price, we paid people to pull it and salvage it and send it back. Guess it's a modern concept I don't understand.

I pushed a lot of our stuff under my scheduled signing hours since there wasn't really any signing I needed to do. If modernization is all about being available to the guest and selling, well guess what? I took the initiative and sold the shit out of several pallets of seasonal stuff at full price.

Apologies for the length!! This hits close to home today!! Hugs to all my p/c and pog friendos!!♡

Wow, that's an awful loss of hours and money. We aren't at that level of salvage but it's not because we are doing great with it. But we are in the same boat as far as barely keeping up and everyone wanting it done yet unwilling to schedule it in a way that allows us to stay on track. But then all of a sudden it's a crisis. 🙄 I'm so glad we have this place to talk about it so we know it's a problem for others.

The spiral started for us right around when the unload process switched to later. Like an avalanche the backroom pulls couldn't get done with the backroom packed, so clearance went salvage by the time it got pulled, then the backroom gets cleared and pulls get done, we ticket it, but nobody pushes it out so it goes salvage on vehicles in the backroom. It's a shame to see so many pallets of products that never got out onto the floor. Was that why we didn't make sales? Who knows but it's a strong possibility.

They are trying to run our store with a skeleton crew and seem oblivious to some of the processes that keep product moving in and out of the store until they are at critical levels. If only they had paid attention at any point before...like when we are telling them things are getting bad, perhaps?

Wow, that's just ridiculous. I remember back in the day, at my old store, there was a time when Christmas seasonal wasn't allowed to be backstocked once pulled. We had to flex it out, which kind of made things look bad, but at least it got out of the backroom. I didn't see that this year, but it didn't seem to be as much product at this store.

Just seems so wasteful.

Sheesh. 16 !! I freaked out today when backroom pulled out 2 pallets ! Why was there so much STILL in the backroom ? I spent the last few days before Christmas walking up and down the backroom aisles pulling out all that I saw and wishing seasonal boxes had a big color square like project G stuff to make it easier to find.
I was very confused how all that NEVER came out . Did we JUST receive it/were the POGS not set/Were the DPCI’s not on the POG/did we not sell even 1 that would have been replenished/were the batches burned/were the boxes unlocated/were the items repeatedly pulled and backstocked ?
So many scenarios of how this could have happened.....hard to formulate a plan to prevent it from happening again.

I pushed a lot of our stuff under my scheduled signing hours since there wasn't really any signing I needed to do. If modernization is all about being available to the guest and selling, well guess what? I took the initiative and sold the shit out of several pallets of seasonal stuff at full price.

I got ZERO signing hours the 3 weeks prior to Christmas. I was all sfs. In fact, the cardboard announcement signs sat in the backroom until I threw them in the baler on the 24th. More wasted money. I spent that entire Monday throwing away unused signing and fixtures that were never set of completed for Christmas, because you know, no hours to complete anything.

I did 50 hours sfs the week before Christmas. Hard to take initiative when I spend 10 plus hours a day packing. It's not like I had time to wander around looking for something to keep me occupied.

Jan 1st tossed a tub full of Nov. SLP signs that never got put up. Today tossed every DEC. SPL sign, another tub full. Why can’t people setting them also put up the signs ???? How does anyone get it to happen ?

I wouldn't be surprised if we're have 40 packets by time we are done sorting trailers next week. With me using every spare minute to pull and stock.

Jan 1st tossed a tub full of Nov. SLP signs that never got put up. Today tossed every DEC. SPL sign, another tub full. Why can’t people setting them also put up the signs ???? How does anyone get it to happen ?

If I see someone setting a salesplan I know I have signing for, I go grab it and hand it to them. No excuses now. I also unbox all the headers and place them on shelves in the fixture room according to block/which TL owns the area. And once every week, I try to audit and put up what goes out.

Tomorrow I am pushing 2 full pallets of clearance toys to the floor- one pallet of play kitchens and another pallet of b.toys playballs. Thankful for having the toy expansion area to drop these into!

That's the point. We weren't scheduled to do it. No one was. That's why we are now not going to finish the workload this week for pog or pricing.
But if you are under pricing you don’t need to be scheduled . That falls on you as a team member or tl for price change to take care of.

But if you are under pricing you don’t need to be scheduled . That falls on you as a team member or tl for price change to take care of.

Oh, so the system knew 3 weeks ago how much was going to be salvage and took that into account when the hours calculated? Is that what you are saying?

Lmao! We have one person on the schedule every day. Sometimes not even for 8 hours. Sometimes she's there only 4 hours. But you're telling me she was supposed to pull all 20 pallets and salvage it by herself?

Sorry, you're flat out wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back