Archived STL told me today that Ship from Store is going to Compete with Amazon Prime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well ship from store just beat Amazon prime for me today. My online order shipped from a store across the state almost and arrived a day before scheduled, and my Amazon order that was supposed to come today didn't.

Logistics as a whole is overdue for a revamp. I still have problems believing we still unload the trailers the way we do. I am not the first to point out that plenty of retailers have their trucks on pallets for multiple benefits (ability to segregate a trailer, ability to take multiple deliveries in a day etc) but we are still stuck with the old version. You also realize that every store could get rid of their line and tracks and turn that into more storage space in receiving?

To tack onto the other points being made, its true that Target hasn't planned out ahead before it made some big rollouts. Do they not think its a problem that they rolled out pick up in store a long time ago, and every store is still struggling to find where to actually store the merchandise? There is not tons of room at service desk so many stores are using off stage random locations to store the items. How about a bit of an investment in converting photo lab into pick up centers/stockrooms that are actually staffed full-time (and make that position the operator!) so that Fitting Room isn't just swamped?
I totally agree on the old photo lab convert. Our small storage closet isn't enough during this time of year. Have small metal aisles with locations & wacos.

Nope. That at most stores especially SPU/STS like mine the job got dumped on the dayside backroom with no hours, in fact they cut hours when they changed the CAF rounds. So you may have one person who is supposed to pull all the SPU orders, process all the STS incoming(stow into location) and pull all research, POGs, EXFs and guest pulls, that helps with sweep, MIR & audit batches. Don't forget backstock whatever crap comes back from those batches.

Dayside backroom does all that stuff at my store; recently SFS started helping out with STS. MIR stuff is strictly receiving though.

Logistics as a whole is overdue for a revamp. I still have problems believing we still unload the trailers the way we do. I am not the first to point out that plenty of retailers have their trucks on pallets for multiple benefits (ability to segregate a trailer, ability to take multiple deliveries in a day etc) but we are still stuck with the old version. You also realize that every store could get rid of their line and tracks and turn that into more storage space in receiving?

To tack onto the other points being made, its true that Target hasn't planned out ahead before it made some big rollouts. Do they not think its a problem that they rolled out pick up in store a long time ago, and every store is still struggling to find where to actually store the merchandise? There is not tons of room at service desk so many stores are using off stage random locations to store the items. How about a bit of an investment in converting photo lab into pick up centers/stockrooms that are actually staffed full-time (and make that position the operator!) so that Fitting Room isn't just swamped?

They need to invest in a revamp of current stores. Some of us are not all that big and need some extra space. We're running out of room for things.

My store does a lot more business than we have the room for.

There are some very good ideas here on how to make Target better specifically the logistics process. However, you do realize that until the C-suite actually steps foot into a Target and pushes product, rings guests up on a cashier, etc. that these ideas will never take place. It amazes me how much of Target's new ideas come from top-down, by people who have never worked a day in retail, rather than requesting ideas from bottom-up (by people who have spent more days in a store than they would like to admit). You put a C-suiter in a store with a pen and pad to take notes from its workers on how to better the process and then maybe Target could actually start to partially compete with Amazon.

I totally agree on the old photo lab convert. Our small storage closet isn't enough during this time of year. Have small metal aisles with locations & wacos.

They did that ay my store and while there is room for SPU/STS they fucked the people who have to work there. No room to actually move around.

Our service desk area is large, very roomy. Next to it was the lab that is empty that could definitely be repurposed. I'll have to find a photo or take one to show you the wasted space.

Last edited:
Good luck with competing with THE established power in the game while missing RFID scanners, myDevices and PDAs, having to borrow them and TMs from other stores. At the same time, hunting through softlines is a colossal time sink with so little payoff.

Then again, it's said better to have tried and failed than not tried at all. Just try to ignore the lost man hours.

Good luck with competing with THE established power in the game while missing RFID scanners, myDevices and PDAs, having to borrow them and TMs from other stores. At the same time, hunting through softlines is a colossal time sink with so little payoff.
Lol your store suuuccckkks

As someone who works the front end, I have many guests come into the store with merchandise they have received that is damaged. I had a guest who received a broken mirror. The mirror was just placed in a box, no packaging to protect it. I have definitely seen an increase in the amount of damaged goods being returned.

As the bike builder, I would be content with SFS burning to the fucking ground. Bunch of spoiled assholes who misplace my tools, put their trash in my area, and make every bike shift a goddamn nightmare.

We will not be able to compete with Amazon, I guarantee it. I am going to personally start hyping Amazon and Prime to guests upset with our lack of product out of sheer spite.

There are some very good ideas here on how to make Target better specifically the logistics process. However, you do realize that until the C-suite actually steps foot into a Target and pushes product, rings guests up on a cashier, etc. that these ideas will never take place. It amazes me how much of Target's new ideas come from top-down, by people who have never worked a day in retail, rather than requesting ideas from bottom-up (by people who have spent more days in a store than they would like to admit). You put a C-suiter in a store with a pen and pad to take notes from its workers on how to better the process and then maybe Target could actually start to partially compete with Amazon.

I feel that Corporate squanders a valuable resource, it's own team members & their collective knowledge every day. As this board proves Target has plenty of team members who are knowledgeable & passionate about TARGET! It's such a waste to just do everything Top-to-Bottom without ever really seeking input from the store level. I know that if they did seek store level input some of it would be useless but MUCH of it would be useful in streamlining & improving the work we do and the Guest Service we provide.

My store was a test store for the My Devices. If there is EVER an instance where honest feedback would be useful it is in product design. If they did seek input they must have gotten Target positivity and not store level reality feedback. The issues that are STILL complained about most (scanners that stop working & not being able to change the battery) were problems in the test phase as well. Hopefully the *new* devices will be an improvement.

As someone who works the front end, I have many guests come into the store with merchandise they have received that is damaged. I had a guest who received a broken mirror. The mirror was just placed in a box, no packaging to protect it. I have definitely seen an increase in the amount of damaged goods being returned.
I know at my store we unexpectedly burned through all our surplus supplies because of the sheer amount of orders that required securing that we've limited what little we have leftover to breakables and even then the bare minimum. No way in hell Target will ever effectively compete with Amazon here.

The decentralized shipping is a win within those local markets cutting down on the cost of the 2 day shipping. That's if target was a perfect warehouse, anything that is in go-backs or on the floor can be such a crap shoot as to if we can find it, ends up as a waste of payroll when TMs can't find it or make the call to skip the order quick enough, let alone loss of pick time due to guest interactions. Honestly gets worse as you get TMs take up softline TMs time trying to find 1 item on the floor, 2tms for 1 item in a sale is not worth it.

This can work in a smaller scale with more limit item selection from the stockroom only but including products that are on the floor is a mistake.

Our store in the upper midwest is shipping thing like chips and cookies to California and Maine. How does that make any sense?

Our store in the upper midwest is shipping thing like chips and cookies to California and Maine. How does that make any sense?
Are those products regional-only favorites? If so, it might be former residents ordering them since they can't get them in their current area. If they are national brands, then you are right, makes no sense at all.

Are those products regional-only favorites? If so, it might be former residents ordering them since they can't get them in their current area. If they are national brands, then you are right, makes no sense at all.

This

The decentralized shipping is a win within those local markets cutting down on the cost of the 2 day shipping. That's if target was a perfect warehouse, anything that is in go-backs or on the floor can be such a crap shoot as to if we can find it, ends up as a waste of payroll when TMs can't find it or make the call to skip the order quick enough, let alone loss of pick time due to guest interactions. Honestly gets worse as you get TMs take up softline TMs time trying to find 1 item on the floor, 2tms for 1 item in a sale is not worth it.

This can work in a smaller scale with more limit item selection from the stockroom only but including products that are on the floor is a mistake.

Exactly! They're on the right track with Enhanced SFS, but they need to add more inventory to the backroom and keep TMs off the floor. The only problem is that most stores just don't have the space to do that.

They were regular Doritos and Oreos.

Quality control needs to be addressed. If a guest places an online order to be delivered to their home, the item needs to be the correct item and it needs to be delivered in great condition.

Exactly! They're on the right track with Enhanced SFS, but they need to add more inventory to the backroom and keep TMs off the floor. The only problem is that most stores just don't have the space to do that.
add more inventory to the backroom?! My backroom is totally packed out. looks like spot is planning to sell everything from the back if they keep up this process

Everything should be coming from the backroom. Keeps those workers off the floor and keeps the product on the floor for the guests that are actually in the store shopping. Plus if location accuracy is good it should be easier and quicker to find things for orders in the backroom.

Problem is Target's inventory system doesn't allow for this. Items on a salesfloor may or may not be there because it was either bought already, in a reshop cart, a guest cart, was stolen or wasn't properly damaged out by a TM. There's too many variables to try to be like Amazon. Amazon doesn't have to deal with any of this. Their system tells them exactly where the item is and how many they have.

A step for Target would be to only allow items that have backroom locations to be shipped from store. Anything on the floor is a crapshoot whether it's there or not.

Everything should be coming from the backroom. Keeps those workers off the floor and keeps the product on the floor for the guests that are actually in the store shopping. Plus if location accuracy is good it should be easier and quicker to find things for orders in the backroom.

Problem is Target's inventory system doesn't allow for this. Items on a salesfloor may or may not be there because it was either bought already, in a reshop cart, a guest cart, was stolen or wasn't properly damaged out by a TM. There's too many variables to try to be like Amazon. Amazon doesn't have to deal with any of this. Their system tells them exactly where the item is and how many they have.

A step for Target would be to only allow items that have backroom locations to be shipped from store. Anything on the floor is a crapshoot whether it's there or not.

I prefer to think of it as a treasure hunt!

add more inventory to the backroom?! My backroom is totally packed out. looks like spot is planning to sell everything from the back if they keep up this process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back