Archived Stock, Stock Options, 401K, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question. Do you qualify for 5% matching the moment you start at target? or do you need to wait a set time to take advantage of it?

So a year working part time. That is lame.

I need to go turn off 401k withholdings. Not worth it without matching.

I am a full time college student who really does need every penny. %5 gone is a pinch I can't afford if they are not matching.

I am a full time college student who really does need every penny. %5 gone is a pinch I can't afford if they are not matching.

If you CAN afford to put it away, do it regardless of match. Usually you do it pre-tax, lowering your overall tax liability until you start to withdraw it. Not a bad deal, and it is ALWAYS a good idea to put money away for your future. It can build up faster than you think. I started my current job about 2 1/2 years ago. We use TSP, but it is basically the Federal Govt version of a 401k. At this point I have over 6 grand in it, which I will be fully vested in at the end of this year. That is only at 3% and as I get increases, the amount I put in and they match goes up to. That combined with a military retirement AND Social Security when I hit 67 can have me making potentially more per month then than I do now while fully employed.

The moral: put it away for the future.

Last edited:
Stock and Stock options are only offered to Exempt employees and upper members of management. Regarding the 5% match, that takes place after about 6 months (1000 hrs)

question if you are a part time employee and your insurance and life insurance got taken away will you still have your 401k? or will they take that away next

Yes, you do get your 401k still. Do not do the spot Roth IRA.
Why not? I am trying hard to understand all of this and am contributing 11% and doing adjustments, etc. so that I can retire before I'm 80. I haven't done the Roth, but have been studying it.

Yes, you do get your 401k still. Do not do the spot Roth IRA.
Why not? I am trying hard to understand all of this and am contributing 11% and doing adjustments, etc. so that I can retire before I'm 80. I haven't done the Roth, but have been studying it.
I don't trust spot that much. I am not sure if the spot Roth IRA is covered by federal insurance. I am certain that my Roth is covered by federal insurance at my bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back