Store Director Turnover

How long does a Store Director normally stay at the same store?

I have been at my store since July 2015 and we are on our FOURTH one.

That seems like a lot to me though our store is in a large Metro area.

Looking back on our last SD, omitting specific details to maintain anonymity, I have very high regard for their leadership skills. I recall times when they were under scrutiny and criticism after Best Team Survey, and rather then running away from the problem they made a serious effort to improve their outreach to TMs around the store and become more approachable.

They likely received the promotion because they had become an excellent role model for other Target SDs, not only in sales and financial performance but in leadership effectiveness and interpersonal skills. Our store was highly regarded within our district and continues to be highly regarded under the new SD.

I've worked in a better than average store.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the SD and where they want to eventually end up. We have one SD in the district who has been in the same store for well over 10 years. The SD in my old store was there for five or six years before leaving the company -- and she replaced one who was with us for three years who has risen to group level leadership at this point. My current SD has been in role for about two years (she opened the store).

Depends on the store, district and the SD themselves. Most districts like mine have a higher volume store that they consider a talent hub, in and out. I’m currently at this store and it’s had 12 SDs in the 19 years it’s been open. No ones been here longer than 2 years either their choice or targets. That being said we also have a store director in our district that’s been an SD in their store since it opened 10 years ago. Depends on a lot. 4 in 4 years doesn’t seem that crazy

The first two SDs left Target and retail. The third one lost the majority of team management team including an ETL that walked out the door with no notice.

The third SD was pregnant at the time and took FIVE months (WTF!) off then came back for TWO months and quit "to spend more time with her family".

Our current SD has been with Target for over 20 years and seems okay.

I think 2-3 years is about right. I've been at my store for 15 years. Have had 6 or 7. I can't even remember all their names.

In the last year, my store has had 3 SDs. The first one I had met was there for about 2 years ago. He went to a bigger store. He no longer works for Target. The next SD was with us for about 9 months before being sent to another store. I wonder how long our new one will last.

My last SD was about 4 years at our store before retiring and my current SD has been SD of i think 3 stores in the past 5-6 years before us. Before I was there, it seems like our SDs rotated out or moved up/ on every 2-3 years though.

Back