Archived Store interns

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobycord

Know a little bit of info about a lot of stuff
I keep in contact with the interns that were in my orientation class and a lot of them said that they are having problems interacting and working with TMs at the stores they're at. If you have interns at your store how are they getting along with the team and what are you seeing that they can improve on to adjust?

Interns? You mean they work for free? No shit?

In general, the interns in our district have been pretty disappointing but the one at my store is doing pretty well for not having much retail experience. They shouldn't have a problem getting an offer. But they don't have much interaction with the team members nor is that really the point of the internship. They're learning the basics of all workcenters and how to lead across the board as an LOD. The overwhelming majority is spent with their ETL trainer.

We have an intern, whom is paid, that is doing a good job. I showed him a little of the AP side trying to keep merch protected and counts. I have seen him jump on the registers when the GSTL asked for someone to come up so atleast he has drive. So for me I would say he is doing a good job.

we have a new intern who I haven't met yet except in passing. she seems sweet though. she's mainly interning in logistics so I never see her.

our last intern was on a power trip and micromanaged the hell out of everything. she's now our new ETL-HR and her attitude really hasn't changed that much. plus she's really bad at scheduling. then again, she spent most of her intern time with our ETL-GE who is also just SO fun to work with... they've both been mellowing out a bit though so who knows, maybe in a few months she'll be one of my favorite ETLs. I'm also a little biased because they took away our old ETL-HR who was the best ever :(

Met an intern and found out we are majoring in the same thing at the same university and are both graduating the same year. LOL...:rolleyes: She's great though. I like her. She's really helpful in Softlines. Another intern is spending some time with our ETL-AP and then some time with our ETL-SF. I haven't talked to her much but she seems really motivated. I like the first intern the most, though.

Our eit this year is a bit lacking in the iq department and sounds like a fluffy headed fool. Doesn't help that her trainer is two year agos eit who acts like a 6 yr old.

Last year's had already left the company after getting placed as etl-log in the store nearest us. They hated him for asking them to actually work. And they wouldn't transfer him after only six months...

Ours is lazy AF. She doesn't want to learn anything, is literally the slowest moving person I've ever seen work at spot and never helps with code, reshop, or even answers the walkie when someone is looking for her. I don't know why she's wasting everyone's time-she clearly doesn't want to be here and comes across as very entitled. This is my 4th year at spot and she's the worst I've ever seen.

Ours is lazy AF. She doesn't want to learn anything, is literally the slowest moving person I've ever seen work at spot and never helps with code, reshop, or even answers the walkie when someone is looking for her. I don't know why she's wasting everyone's time-she clearly doesn't want to be here and comes across as very entitled. This is my 4th year at spot and she's the worst I've ever seen.
I went on a weekend trip and went to another target outside my district and had a run in with an intern there. He was in a volunteer tshirt and was just standing in the middle of hardlines texting someone. I wanted to know if they had something in stock and thought he might just be a regular TM (not saying this still would have been okay) I started talking to him and when I told him I was an ETL intern from another store he said he was an intern at that one and I almost started laughing (I honestly thought he was joking at first) and asked him how he could get away with not only wearing a tshirt but also having wrinkled khakis (didnt necessarily say it in that way) and standing around texting. I told him about our routines and it looked like everything I was saying was completely foreign to him......I'm sorry for any store that has an intern that is treating this more like a summer job than a career and that their decisions actually can and will impact others, but I will say not every intern is picked from the same tree.

One of our interns was so obnoxious. He would start criticizing my team until I told him to back off and educate himself on our department before he tried to give them "direction". Never saw him step foot by Starbucks again.
It was hit on but not drilled into us as much as some interns I've talked to in other districts but they want us to know we're the third highest ranking in the building and that unless it's our mentor or the STL telling us to do something we're not obligated to do it. you say this to the wrong person, who's never had any kind of power or title, and feels like they may have something to prove or wants a quick power trip then you're pretty much throwing gas on a small fire.

We have had some interns who come in and will walk up to us ( tms ) and carry a conversation. Hi, how are you ? How long have you worked here ...etc etc. We also have had some who literally don't say anything to us lowly tms...they would only speak to the tls and above. So, my advice to an intern would be to get to know everyone...part of learning to be a good leader is learning how to interact with your team.

I went on a weekend trip and went to another target outside my district and had a run in with an intern there. He was in a volunteer tshirt and was just standing in the middle of hardlines texting someone. I wanted to know if they had something in stock and thought he might just be a regular TM (not saying this still would have been okay) I started talking to him and when I told him I was an ETL intern from another store he said he was an intern at that one and I almost started laughing (I honestly thought he was joking at first) and asked him how he could get away with not only wearing a tshirt but also having wrinkled khakis (didnt necessarily say it in that way) and standing around texting. I told him about our routines and it looked like everything I was saying was completely foreign to him......I'm sorry for any store that has an intern that is treating this more like a summer job than a career and that their decisions actually can and will impact others, but I will say not every intern is picked from the same tree.
Last 4th quarter we had an intern that worked with out etl/log. IF the stl wasn't there they would sit up front all day...texting etc. The etl log would throw out lil nuggets of wisdom sometimes and the intern would have this expression like she was thinking...cant we just go back to texting .

We have had good and not so good interns over the years. The best ones treat it like a job and a learning experience. This summer, we are taking a vacation from having interns, and I'm ok with that.

It was hit on but not drilled into us as much as some interns I've talked to in other districts but they want us to know we're the third highest ranking in the building and that unless it's our mentor or the STL telling us to do something we're not obligated to do it. you say this to the wrong person, who's never had any kind of power or title, and feels like they may have something to prove or wants a quick power trip then you're pretty much throwing gas on a small fire.
They shouldn't even tell them that. They should have them be an actual intern and learn work centers. No intern will ever override what I have my team do especially when they know nothing about my area. Some are cool but the ones that go on a fake power trip need to take several seats and let the ones with experience lead. I'm sure you're a great intern I just haven't had any good ones lately.

The difference? About two week gap from intern to eit unless you leave the program...

If you're hired for an ETL position you're technically an EIT until you finish business college and officially placed in a store, and usually ETLs already have a degree. Interns are usually still in school, although I guess some districts could call an extended intern an EIT. I haven't heard of that though.

We had a few good ones this year. We have one now that is too timid to even hand me backstock. If you're going to be like that, then you're going to have an awfully hard time earning my respect.

I had recently talked to interns who are now ETLs and they actually had this problem. Speaking from experience, it is difficult to gain the respect of others who have been doing this longer than you. As an intern, you are a student, like many TMs working there now. The best way to do it is learn from the TMs there already. I've seen interns fall flat on their face because they don't zone, pull, push, respond to back up. Do what they do and then learn to lead. Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back