Archived Stores that don't hire minors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flabbergasted

Ex-GSA
Our store is perpetually understaffed, in part because the ETL-HR refuses to hire minor TMs. We recently lost our store's only two minor TMs, so there are officially no more minors at my store. When I inquired as to why, I was told our leadership just doesn't want to deal with minors. Why is this even allowed? When a store is understaffed to the extent that ours is, we should really be seeking as wide a range of candidates as possible. If there are capable minors, between 16 and 17 with valid work permits who would like to help us out, then they should be interviewed. We are never going to resolve this understaffing issue with this nitpicking ETL in charge.

In my store, we hire very few minors. Generally cart attendant, food ave and starbucks are the places they will end up since those positions don't require working until the store closes. Any other positions are generally not filled with minors unless they are related to someone else in the store. Our main problem is that they can't close on regular nights...so as we go into the holiday season when we are open even later, their limited availability puts an even larger strain on the schedule.

If their availability matches the need, how is NOT hiring a minor not age discrimination?

Note: Emphasis on "if their availability matches the need."

In my store, we hire very few minors. Generally cart attendant, food ave and starbucks are the places they will end up since those positions don't require working until the store closes. Any other positions are generally not filled with minors unless they are related to someone else in the store. Our main problem is that they can't close on regular nights...so as we go into the holiday season when we are open even later, their limited availability puts an even larger strain on the schedule.

We have quite a few minors right now, but we've gone through periods of time where we don't hire minors because their availability often doesn't match what we need. (Cashiers are often okay as minors, but salesfloor is challenging, especially with guest driven scheduling and the need for mid-day coverage).

The thing is, it isn't about their availability at my store. ETL-HR refuses to hire them anymore. She only wants to "deal" with adults.

We had 4 minors in SB & FA.
Once they hit 18, they left for greener pastures.
Smart kids.

If their availability matches the need, how is NOT hiring a minor not age discrimination?

Note: Emphasis on "if their availability matches the need."

Yeah...and when we generally need people who can close, that means they are out of the running.

We didn't hire minors until recently at my store. We'll only hire them for the front end positions.

I started as a minor but I get it.

Minors cant use the wave or trash compactor. I cant tell u the # of times ETLs had to come back and throw away trash because the kiddies couldnt. One of my ETLs used to joke he was an 80,000 cardboard trash man.

Minors have stricter break rules.

Minors are more likely to call out "sick" because they dont want to work or want to go to a party. I have called out twice in my Target career and one of them happened to be when I was in high school and wanted to go to a party instead.

I got a lot of calls from minors who called out to do homework as well.

I started as a minor but I get it.

Minors cant use the wave or trash compactor. I cant tell u the # of times ETLs had to come back and throw away trash because the kiddies couldnt. One of my ETLs used to joke he was an 80,000 cardboard trash man.

Minors have stricter break rules.

Minors are more likely to call out "sick" because they dont want to work or want to go to a party. I have called out twice in my Target career and one of them happened to be when I was in high school and wanted to go to a party instead.

I got a lot of calls from minors who called out to do homework as well.
not only that, but we can't do things if a minor is working. so most stores choose not to hire minors.

We have way too many minors in my store. As far as seasonal workers go, at least 50% of them are minors. We have minors at food ave, starbucks, cashier, sales floor, heck they are even doing the ship from store duties. They all work really short shifts and have less hours, thats probably why they hire so many

Well they'll be getting a call down the road when corporate realizes that they don't have at least 2 minors on the payroll. My store got busted for that, and that was how I originally was hired, and after turning 18 they quickly replaced us. Though, it could depend on store volume as well.

We have a few. There were a bit more over summer. Our adults call out more often than the high schoolers. They're only scheduled a few short shifts per week.

Until recently, I'd never seen anyone under 17 working at the store, but we have a 16 year old in SL now. In the beginning, I think she was afraid to admit when she didn't know something. She probably smiled and nodded to all the trainers who have difficult accents. She's doing good now even though some of the old biddies still whisper about her. They send her away to do busy work so they haven't seen the growth firsthand.

But I don't personally have a problem with them hiring minors. All the ones that have gone through softlines have been great once they got over the learning curve.

It's funny, I ran a restaurant where a good portion of my employees were high school kids and yes, it can be a major pain in the butt.
However if you know how to manage them, they will run through fire for you.
There is a reason they draft teenagers for the military.
Loyalty and strength of character can be developed if you want to put in the effort as a boss and you can get a great employee.

I know at my store they can't refuse to hire them but if say they apply for a sales floor position and since we are open later and minors can't stay past 10 pm they just say we aren't currently taking sales floor positions but if you would like to apply for a cashier position you can do so ( they normally turn it down)

all the minors at my store work in the food area such as produce,meat,dairy and the food area at my store closes down at 9 (all the food people clean and leave by 10 so yeah that's fine for minors to work to. In fact I work till 9:45 on Friday (I'm a minor) so yeah some areas are esay to fill them others.

I don't even think Minors are allowed on the Logistics team lol.

Nope. Working in any dayside logistics workcenter would require them to be able to use the powered equipment, which they can't do because they're under 18. And overnight/early mornings are out of the question.

My store is 80% minors. There's like 2 adults in the entire food areas(other then the overnight production)
Sales floor maybe 1 out of the 7 people closing is an adult, a couple older cashiers. and obviously TL's.
Everyone else is a minor, it's annoying and most of them are very unreliable.

I don't think we have any minors. On the flip side, we have the 55+ age bracket covered! including the 65+.

That is a problem in our area for the minors and 18-19 year olds.... The retired people get the jobs over them.

everyone else more or less covered this but the restrictions placed on minors are extremely prohibiting to the business. depending on state laws restrictions may keep minors from executing simple vital job functions in starbucks and food ave in addition to logistics positions. if a minor goes to school on a given day they cannot work any longer than 4 hours that day, this can include something as meager as a one hour driver's education course on a saturday. documentation of breaks may also need to be provided upon request down to the 15 minute breaks that must ensure that at no period was the minor working for more than 2 hours. if they cashier at the front lanes they can't ring up an alcohol sale, and of course they can't work past 10pm on a school night.

it's not really about the individuals, as much as the laws that disallow them from being as efficient as someone over 18.

giphy.gif

Probably don't hire them because of their propensity for getting the black lung

Our store will not hire minors because we are collectively biased that all minors are horrible workers, not even the cart attendant is a minor its 18 + only

everyone else more or less covered this but the restrictions placed on minors are extremely prohibiting to the business. depending on state laws restrictions may keep minors from executing simple vital job functions in starbucks and food ave in addition to logistics positions. if a minor goes to school on a given day they cannot work any longer than 4 hours that day, this can include something as meager as a one hour driver's education course on a saturday. documentation of breaks may also need to be provided upon request down to the 15 minute breaks that must ensure that at no period was the minor working for more than 2 hours. if they cashier at the front lanes they can't ring up an alcohol sale, and of course they can't work past 10pm on a school night.

it's not really about the individuals, as much as the laws that disallow them from being as efficient as someone over 18.
Worse for those under 18 is that it can't be just anyone who scans their alcohol. From 18 to 21 anyone of age who is free can give me a hand with that. But if they are under 18, there has to be someone with supervisor numbers to punch in their number and PIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back