Archived Stores that don't hire minors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone complains that minors are hard workers that is wrong! First off I am a minor and I work my ass off during my shift. U.S. minors also (at least me) work all weekend which makes the older people not have to work. Not all minors are bad workers you just gotta find the right people.

Everyone complains that minors are hard workers that is wrong! First off I am a minor and I work my ass off during my shift. U.S. minors also (at least me) work all weekend which makes the older people not have to work. Not all minors are bad workers you just gotta find the right people.

Agreed.
I always found people who complained about minors being bad employees meant there was bad management much like teachers who complain about how horrid the kids are usually have bad classroom management skills.

Agreed.
I always found people who complained about minors being bad employees meant there was bad management much like teachers who complain about how horrid the kids are usually have bad classroom management skills.
I'd be apt to agree with the teacher part, but dang, this year a friend that has been teaching for over 15 years seems to have gotten the short straw. I feel bad for her - it has her job hunting outside of teaching and she used to love teaching k.

A couple of weeks ago she had to call a parent who thinks the admin make things up about her son. She heard him in the background and gasped, and is now mortified her "special flower" is as bad as they were saying.

But otherwise, yes, we've never had issues with minors in places with good management. My store would probably be fine with them since they do well with break schedules and such. We just don't have any.

we have so many minors working in our store that i spend 99% of my shifts out front doing overrides.
its worse in my state. you have to be 21 to sell booze. the gstls are pretty much just liqour salesmen and babysitters.

Same here, but we only have to do a supervisor override if they are under 18. If they are 18 to 20, any cashier or person close to the front lanes can help out.

We had quite a few minor cashiers at my old store. Spent a lot of time up front doing alcohol overrides.

One yr our store hired several minors that were kids of several TLs. Bad idea.
One kid changed their avail because of school activities. It was within 90 days but TL mama got HR to approve it.
Two kids were dating each other but, when they broke up, it created awkwardness between the 2 TL parents.
One kid was frequently calling out & the dad was covering for him until the kid's TL went to HR. Kid was coached so he walked out one night. Dad didn't even try to get his job back when the kid came to his senses.
Another kid got into it with her TL, arguing with her as to why they had to do things a certain way (didn't grasp the concept of best practices). She was written up for insubordination several times & eventually termed. Parent stayed out of that one.

This. There will always be the one kid that doesn't feel like doing anything, but we're usually pretty lucky with minors at my store.

18 to sell here, but I often fake it when I'm up front, I go over to their lane and suspend the order, log them out, log myself in, un-suspend, finish the order, and then log back out, to essentially not have to call over someone with sup #'s.

18 to sell here, but I often fake it when I'm up front, I go over to their lane and suspend the order, log them out, log myself in, un-suspend, finish the order, and then log back out, to essentially not have to call over someone with sup #'s.

That is just smart.

That is just smart.

Until you try to recall a transaction and the register can't find it and you have to rering everything up. That's a special kind of hell to explain to a guest.

I'd just pull them aside to guest service to ring them up, so as to not tie up the cashiers lane, and then give them copious amount of apology coupons, and hope they're not the angry grumpy guest :s

I'd just pull them aside to guest service to ring them up, so as to not tie up the cashiers lane, and then give them copious amount of apology coupons, and hope they're not the angry grumpy guest :s
We seem to only sell alcohol to grumpy guests.

The world ends and the mouth starts in when you ask for ID or their birthdate. They apparently need more happy hour!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back