Archived Strange survey-?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all-most of you will probably think that I am being unnecessarily worrisome or paranoid after this post, but what the heck-if you don't ask questions, you don't find things out, right? ( Well, at least it makes it more challenging to find things out. )

Around this time or so last month, so, like, three to four weeks ago, I was up at the front end, which is my main workcenter. There were about three other cashiers on the checklanes as well, and it was a fairly ordinary day. Our GSA comes up with this small stack of paper, and says that we are all supposed to complete these paper surveys and hand them back in as soon as we are done.Weird, I thought, since EVERYTHING Spot does these days is (supposed to be) so very tech-savvy. So I look the survey over, and it's comprised of all these sort of "getting-to-know-you, getting-to-know-all-about-you" kinds of questions; "What's your favorite color/book/food/etc.,?", "How do you enjoy spending your free time?", things of that nature. Seems fairly innocuous, right? How much could it possibly REALLY matter whether or not every TL in the building knows whether i prefer Bjork or Beyonce, or if I'd rather read "Who Moved My Cheese" or "1984"? Right?

Well, for starters I was not informed as to WHY we were doing this little questionnaire, just that it was mandatory. To be fair, I didn't ask, because I hardly had a chance to-their delivery was done in a very abrupt, uh, let's call it "no-nonsense" manner; plus it had started getting busy on front end and we were all filling these things out on our lanes between guests.

(Yes, this is going on for a bit-sorry!) My question is: Have any of you out there in the Breakroom had these surveys issued to you? Anybody? There was just something about the whole thing that struck me as being rather..odd? Off? Weird? Why the sudden interest in people's personal tastes? Was there going to be some sort of a photo shoot for the "Who's Who Of The Bullseye" 2013 calendar featuring a short bio?

Maybe it's because it was around the same time the WalMart Ss and that petition about Target being open for Thanksgiving night started gaining traction in the news, but something about it just made me wonder WTH...my formal education may be sub-par, but when my gut feelings go off, I listen up...

(To clarify, the questions were open-ended, as in "What is your favorite food", so forth..)

Hopefully someone can shed a little light..thanks in advance!

Yep...we had to do them twice after the last stack got lost. Anyway, I guess my store pulls these out once a year to give to people and them promptly forget about them. Last time was early in the fall. They said that they just want to know what we like so they can give us more personal recognition as warranted. Meh. Maybe, maybe not. But I don't think giving them my favorite color, food, etc, is going to give up too much.

I have never seen or heard about these questionnaires before. If I was ever given one, I would refuse to fill it out. Target doesn't need to know my personal preferences on anything not having directly to do with work. Maybe you should come zone with me and chat a little if you want to know a little more about me.

Have you or a member of your family ever been affiliated with the communist party? These questions are the same ones that are posted on our 'Great Team Hero' board. When someone [at my store, any way] gets [nominated? elected?] picked they put up a picture and a brief background using the questions OP brought up.

We did something like this this summer. We used it to do a front end team member of the week in our cashier closet. Our main goal was so that we could get to know our team better as well as the team getting to know each other better. We wanted to reduce turnover on our team but it really didn't help...

For those of you at smaller stores our turnover might blow your mind. At the front alone our turnover is now just over 100 TMs for the year while turnover for our store as a whole is just over 300. With 3 GSTLs it is hard for us to get to know our 26 or so person teams on a personal level. This was just one of our attempts...

It's the "favorites" binder - to make recognition more personal.

Unfortunately, it's pretty much forgotten about at my store.

I've never seen the recognition ever based on the favorites.
I've probably filled them out three times and gotten more creative every time.
Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Yep it's so that if you're chosen as a top performer or need to be recognized in some way, the leader can choose something a bit more personal to you - your favorites. No need to worry.

i use those sheets all the time! I'd rather try and give something someone would like vs something they would hate.

I seen them before, they are gag games for the Breakroom for the holiday times. 'Can you name the TM that came in with their clothes inside out?'

I have team members fill them out during their orientation. It's filed in a binder, and pretty much forgotten about. Recognition isn't based on it.

ITS NEVER mandatory to fill these things out - they aren't from Target. Only the Best Team Survey is from Target and even that ISN'T mandatory.

Hello, all!

Hope you all had a nice, or at least tolerable, weekend...tried to post a reply yesterday but my computer had a psychobilly freakout & then promptly took the rest of the night off ( can't say I haven't thought about doing something vaguely similar a time or two... )

Thanks to all for all the feedback and insight. It makes my hypervigilance go on pause for a bit, so that's good lol...

No doubt my survey will be lost and forgotten, and I suppose it's just as well-things could get awkward on many levels if I were awarded for good performance with a ribboned basket containing Barbara Ehrenreich books and cat toys...

Thanks again! have a an "amazing" (?!?) night

Hello, all!

Hope you all had a nice, or at least tolerable, weekend...tried to post a reply yesterday but my computer had a psychobilly freakout & then promptly took the rest of the night off ( can't say I haven't thought about doing something vaguely similar a time or two... )

Thanks to all for all the feedback and insight. It makes my hypervigilance go on pause for a bit, so that's good lol...

No doubt my survey will be lost and forgotten, and I suppose it's just as well-things could get awkward on many levels if I were awarded for good performance with a ribboned basket containing Barbara Ehrenreich books and cat toys...

Thanks again! have a an "amazing" (?!?) night

A fan of 'Nickel and Dimed' and the Reverend Horton Heat?
I'm impressed.
For your computer ...

[video=youtube_share;qn4lJqbv7So]http://youtu.be/qn4lJqbv7So[/video]

I filled that out during orientation in 2009. I saw the binder a few weeks ago (our gstl was overhauling it). Sure felt weird reading all that over again lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back