Archived Student LOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hired in July and started about two weeks ago as a seasonal cashier. I made it very clear that I'm a student and also put in my app that I have another job In my hometown (that I come back to for summer & winter break.)... So today (4 mo's in advance) I asked my ETL if I could get a LOA in December to see my family. She said maybe and that we'll talk about it, and that I could just drive back & forth. I know that I'm new but I thought the earlier the better. I assumed being that I'm ONLY a cashier that it wouldn't be a huge deal being that she's constantly hiring cashiers. She also said she hasn't seen her family during any holiday (in my defense I'm a cashier probably making half her pay) so I was a little upset she took it personally. Is this normal for target to be not really willing to give LOA's to students? I thought that since they hired students, they'd be flexible?

Well did you ask for a LOA for school or for vacation? There is a difference. You can't really say it's a "student LOA" if it isn't for school. December is also an extremely busy time.

If you live on campus, tell HR that it is too expensive and impractical to stay in town for the holidays or to drive back and forth between work and your hometown every shift. Also remind them that you stated in your application that you have a commitment to your other job during your college breaks. Don't say anything about needing to see your family because that won't get ANY sympathy from anyone who works there (especially the ETLs who will be putting in 60 hour weeks).

If November rolls around and she still is not going to budge, you may just have to put in your two weeks notice and quit, then try to get rehired when you come back (shouldn't be too hard if they are "constantly" hiring cashiers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back