Archived Stupid things people have been fired for at your store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
heh. Your passport has an rfid tag. Keep your RFID passport data secure - http://www.practicalhacks.com/2011/05/02/keep-your-rfid-passport-data-secure/

So by all means use your passport.

Oh, the days of you controlling your info are over if you want interact with society. your want control, be a prepper and disconnect.
Wow, no need to be rude. I just wish they would give me the option. Most cashiers grab and scan without explaining or any awareness of what they are doing. Carding someone DOES NOT REQUIRE SCANNING AN ID, you need to verify the date of birth. I wish cashiers were trained to give people a choice and to explain if asked what information is given to the company in that barcode

Most cashiers grab and scan

I don't know any cashier who has ever grabbed an ID from someone. Usually Ids are in a slit in your wallet so that doesn't even make sense.

Carding someone DOES NOT REQUIRE SCANNING AN ID,

Some stores require you to scan them and the penalties in some states for not correctly carding someone are criminal.

. I wish cashiers were trained to give people a choice

Thats fair but I think you should acknowledge that most cashier's could care less about your date of birth and license number. I would be more concerned about a cashier handling my credit card than my ID.

Oh yeah, way too easy. One of the first thing I tell seasonals when I’m training them - “always hold the cash up and out above the keyboard before the drawer opens. You don’t wanna keep it low and make it look like you’re putting it in your pocket because there are cameras and they ARE watching to make sure you’re not taking any.” I try to squash the thought before it occurs lol

You know what's weird my etl ap doesn't even tell people not to steal during orientation. I think he wants to rack up the internals.

After orientation he ask me. "So who do you think is shady?"

Ugh. I mean, do your job, and it's not their job to warn people, but still. Just seems like a human kindness to give people one last warning and drive home how much stealing on your record can mess you up for a long time.

Oh yeah, way too easy. One of the first thing I tell seasonals when I’m training them - “always hold the cash up and out above the keyboard before the drawer opens. You don’t wanna keep it low and make it look like you’re putting it in your pocket because there are cameras and they ARE watching to make sure you’re not taking any.” I try to squash the thought before it occurs lol
I found out that the cameras over the registers are good enough to see the denominations on the bills. Since then I fan the money out and hold my hand out with all the coins showing, both going into the register and back out to the guest. That way they can clearly see that I'm not stealing, and if I accidentally short someone there's no question that I screwed up and the guest really should have more money back.

Yeah my store definitely requires us to scan it. They've even updated our systems so that if regular Cashier TMs try to type the birthdate in, it wants a GSA to do an override.
Same. When I first started working for Spot (almost 10 years ago) we could type the birthdate in, but then they pushed an update that requires a supervisor override for that. So now I just scan the ID and if people ask me why, I tell them its because the computer doesn't take my word for it.

Ours used to demand a supervisor override for a typed-in date, but then about 3 months ago that part vanished. I still scan whenever possible (note, SCO has not allowed me to scan, and I haven't tried again recently). I've never had a guest question why I scan rather than type it in.

Amusingly, I had one guest ask to see MY ID to prove that I was old enough to process the transaction. And yes, I immediately reached into my pocket for my wallet. When he saw me do that with no hesitation, though, he demurred. My guess is that he was law enforcement, we do know that many local towns run undercover stings to see if we're checking guest IDs. If I had shown any resistance, he might have pushed the issue.

I don't know any cashier who has ever grabbed an ID from someone. Usually Ids are in a slit in your wallet so that doesn't even make sense.

Some stores require you to scan them and the penalties in some states for not correctly carding someone are criminal.

Thats fair but I think you should acknowledge that most cashier's could care less about your date of birth and license number. I would be more concerned about a cashier handling my credit card than my ID.
It’s not the cashier I’m concerned about.
It’s the store

This isn't a stupid thing but a flow TM was fired for threatening another TM while unloading the truck; she'd been angry and used inappropriate language before, but this was over the top. The store was open and I could hear her through closed backroom doors. And then there was another flow TM who had serious anger management issues - so glad he's no longer there. Really was a little scary when he was around. And he still occasionally shops at the same store.

I always tell my trainees that everything in the store is monitored, recorded, and tracked. $60 worth of useless crap is not worth your job. You might get away with it once or twice but eventually you will get caught and terminated.

Right now it's a really big deal because I guess some leaders were caught texting team members off the clock (giving assignments and setting expectations) and they might get fired for that.

Right now it's a really big deal because I guess some leaders were caught texting team members off the clock (giving assignments and setting expectations) and they might get fired for that.

If you do this it's fine but you have to be willing to swallow the 15 minute punch correction and explain that to team members. Our store has gotten good about leaving a binder with information for the closers in electronics, apparel, fitting room, Starbucks, cafe etc

Is getting terminated for taking keys home actually a thing at any other stores? I've heard of people at other stores getting autobanned for it but scatterbrained me has done it 3 times in 2 years and I still have yet to be written up even once. All that happened in my case was 1) find them in my pocket while doing laundry on my day off 2) quickly floor it back up to the store 3) find the STL and say "Oops I took these home with me on accident yesterday, my bad" and he just laughs at me and says "Dumbass! Thanks for bringing them back, see you tomorrow"

I'm guessing it varies by store, how hardcore the STL is and how much they like you...

Wow, no need to be rude. I just wish they would give me the option. Most cashiers grab and scan without explaining or any awareness of what they are doing. Carding someone DOES NOT REQUIRE SCANNING AN ID, you need to verify the date of birth. I wish cashiers were trained to give people a choice and to explain if asked what information is given to the company in that barcode
Sorry was tired. Not intended to be rude.

Is getting terminated for taking keys home actually a thing at any other stores? I've heard of people at other stores getting autobanned for it but scatterbrained me has done it 3 times in 2 years and I still have yet to be written up even once. All that happened in my case was 1) find them in my pocket while doing laundry on my day off 2) quickly floor it back up to the store 3) find the STL and say "Oops I took these home with me on accident yesterday, my bad" and he just laughs at me and says "Dumbass! Thanks for bringing them back, see you tomorrow"

I'm guessing it varies by store, how hardcore the STL is and how much they like you...

My store is very lax when it comes to that. The store on the other side of town has been known to term team members when they leave with the electronics keys. I've also heard they've had to change the electronics locks twice in the last 5 years. I'm guessing it has something to do with that.

My store is very lax when it comes to that. The store on the other side of town has been known to term team members when they leave with the electronics keys. I've also heard they've had to change the electronics locks twice in the last 5 years. I'm guessing it has something to do with that.

Oh hell yes, at my store they'd be caremad as fuck if I'd taken home electronics keys but thankfully it was just the Crown key

What's even funnier is that they won't be caught because there are no cameras in the coolers

We have had someone stealing hot pockets for the last 2 years and can't figure out who. There are no cameras in the break room and even if there was you can't prove they just didn't bring it in from outside in their pocket

no cameras on the coolers doors? as someone who was a former thief as a kid for 5 years now working in retail...I'd just look at who enters and exits the fridge at certain times and keep track of those dpcis that keep disappearing...find the regular time of that by checking market tm schedules and then walk in the breakroom and bust them. bwhahahaha not that hard actually unless Im missing something because ive never worked AP

Oh hell yes, at my store they'd be caremad as fuck if I'd taken home electronics keys but thankfully it was just the Crown key
*orders crown keys off amazon* yeah fuck it I dont need a set im good..til they wonder how the fuck you on the wave and the only 4 sets are used by sfs and the other two backroom at the moment. haha awkward moment for my fellow backroom tm who brought them over from his last store

(edit: they didnt get fired though surprisingly...just wow)

no cameras on the coolers doors? as someone who was a former thief as a kid for 5 years now working in retail...I'd just look at who enters and exits the fridge at certain times and keep track of those dpcis that keep disappearing...find the regular time of that by checking market tm schedules and then walk in the breakroom and bust them. bwhahahaha not that hard actually unless Im missing something because ive never worked AP

While I don't work in either the back room or market, I'm assuming that people have legitimate reasons for being there throughout the day. Someone who's been doing this for two years and hasn't been caught yet is likely combining carrying the box in with legitimate reasons, and is probably not eating them in the break room but taking them home instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back