Archived Suggestions, advice, and general feedback wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, i come to you with hopes of feedback and advice! I have been with the company for going on 6 years now. I have held several team lead positions, including Target Cafe, Starbucks, GSTL, and Presentation. I am hoping to promote to ETL this year however my process recently went to an overnight one. My ETL tells me I need to be more global as part of my development. I understand that this is a very important piece if I am to become an ETL, however I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what I should be doing to be global if I'm working overnight with a team of 3 others and have little to no contact with other team members (except flow, and let's face it, they are a whole different story!) Please give me some feedback on what you think I can do! Thanks in advance!

Logistics is a good thing for you. Did spot offer a srtl job to you?
Did you every apply as an intern? If you have a degree is a big plus.

I was told we are over head cont on SrTLs. We currently have 3 and are slotted for 2. My STL said she does not want to send me out for interviews until there is ETL positions available in our district, currently there is not. I'm not exactly sure I want to pursue Logistics; I'm not a fan of the overnight shifts. I mean, if it comes down to it, I would make it work, but ideally I'd like to enter the daytime world again!

Good point. I suppose I should start learning more about the Logistics process...

Work with your overnight ETL(s) to become more involved in flow or backroom. Maybe run the unload or help the backroom put up the backstock that comes off the trailer. Is everyone sorting transition okay? If not, work to improve it.

Communication between dayside and overnight teams is always a challenge. Look for ways to improve the partnership. When your workload is under control, assess the big picture for your store. What are the opps? Brand? Metrics? Out of stocks? Markdowns? Figure out what ways you and your team can help the store. If the other overnight teams need help, that's an easy way to help ensure dayside isn't pulled from guest-facing responsibilities. If everyone is caught up, you can shop from the back and PTM. Look for ways to help your salesfloor TLs. Does your store have strong routines for purging D-Code? If not, you can help them get it staged so it's ready when they open. Things like this.

Most of all, you need to showcase your ability to prioritize and improve the store. Make sure you send out a recap email of how your team worked, what you accomplished, what extra projects and things you were able to do to help out. Brag. As much as you can. I'm serious. Being overnight is a struggle because you are fighting reduced visibility from the leadership team. They will see right away when you are struggling, but when things are going smoothly it's like you were never there. So you have to be overly vocal about what you did, how you solved a problem for the store, and how you are partnering with peers to help fix it.

Communication between dayside and overnight teams is always a challenge. Look for ways to improve the partnership. When your workload is under control, assess the big picture for your store. What are the opps? Brand? Metrics? Out of stocks? Markdowns? Figure out what ways you and your team can help the store. If the other overnight teams need help, that's an easy way to help ensure dayside isn't pulled from guest-facing responsibilities. If everyone is caught up, you can shop from the back and PTM. Look for ways to help your salesfloor TLs. Does your store have strong routines for purging D-Code? If not, you can help them get it staged so it's ready when they open. Things like this.

Most of all, you need to showcase your ability to prioritize and improve the store. Make sure you send out a recap email of how your team worked, what you accomplished, what extra projects and things you were able to do to help out. Brag. As much as you can. I'm serious. Being overnight is a struggle because you are fighting reduced visibility from the leadership team. They will see right away when you are struggling, but when things are going smoothly it's like you were never there. So you have to be overly vocal about what you did, how you solved a problem for the store, and how you are partnering with peers to help fix it.
This is awesome! Just what I was looking for. Thanks so much for the feedback; some great action items there I can put to use immediately!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back