Supply chain problems.

Maybe we should stop discounting stuff and keep everything full price til we raise wages eniough to attract people

Yes i agree with you. But Costs for pet food ingredients have climbed 8% to 20% since the pandemic began, according to U.S. industry group the Pet Food Institute, outpacing a 5.4% jump in consumer prices in the 12 months through June.

Too bad I don’t work at a Target DC cuz I’d be taking all your cash bribes to cancel trailers
I know its a joke but just for education.
The DC doesn't make the shots on when trailers are sent. Our dispatch is in contact with your district leadership and makes that call.
Also just because a trailer is canceled doesn't mean it goes away. It just means it continues getting more full. So canceling a trailer never means less workload store side since we cannot ever stop loading.
It just delays and pushes it back to the next day.
When a trailer is "cancelled" that means it is either just sitting in the yard waiting to go to the store (meanwhile more are being filled to accompany it) or that the time dependent force close is being canceled.
I would say its probably better to run doubles every day than to have a single one day and a triple the next!

The DC doesn't make the shots on when trailers are sent. Our dispatch is in contact with your district leadership and makes that call.
Also just because a trailer is canceled doesn't mean it goes away. It just means it continues getting more full. So canceling a trailer never means less workload store side since we cannot ever stop loading.
When a trailer is "cancelled" that means it is either just sitting in the yard waiting to go to the store (meanwhile more are being filled to accompany it) or that the time dependent force close is being canceled.
I would say its probably better to run doubles every day than to have a single one day and a triple the next!
I do wish people at my store would believe me when I say this. You can cancel the trailer but the freight lives on and will come with friends.

on a side note because of two canceled trailers we have a slight chance of getting a triple in the next week or so.

If there's that much unwanted freight then wouldn't the better idea be to slow the purchasing, re-evaluate what the purchasers are purchasing, impose heavy penalties on purchasers that keep wasting company money, and otherwise slow what comes in and then stash away what is already there in a warehouse or 5 or 100, then take from the storage places only as needed to fill gaps from the slower influx of goods?

Other things in short supply - tp & kleenex are running lower than usual just lately, baby food shelves were empty for weeks but have some stock now, protein bars and shakes are short but canisters of powder are okay. The Mom & Baby DBO said that diapers were really low for a while, but are back again. And kitty litter was an issue for a while, but it's better now. Same for canned cat food.

Other things in short supply - tp & kleenex are running lower than usual just lately, baby food shelves were empty for weeks but have some stock now, protein bars and shakes are short but canisters of powder are okay. The Mom & Baby DBO said that diapers were really low for a while, but are back again. And kitty litter was an issue for a while, but it's better now. Same for canned cat food.

I'll add Contigo water bottles. Most were marked up during last week's price change and my shelves are empty so I assume scarity is a problem.

A few of my vendors are definitely having supply issues, especially Frito-Lay. It's not unusual for them to not get more than half their order on any given day...

If there's that much unwanted freight then wouldn't the better idea be to slow the purchasing, re-evaluate what the purchasers are purchasing, impose heavy penalties on purchasers that keep wasting company money, and otherwise slow what comes in and then stash away what is already there in a warehouse or 5 or 100, then take from the storage places only as needed to fill gaps from the slower influx of goods?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but absolutely none of what we ship/load in "unwanted". In fact my DC is only shipping ~80% of what it should be because the needs of the stores have outgrown our physical capability to send cartons even running 24/7.
Trailers are not canceled due to the store not "wanting" the product. Trailers are canceled depending on if it has reached a certain threshold of cartons loaded, issues with drivers, and depending on how many trailers are already in the yard waiting to be sent.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but absolutely none of what we ship/load in "unwanted". In fact my DC is only shipping ~80% of what it should be because the needs of the stores have outgrown our physical capability to send cartons even running 24/7.
Trailers are not canceled due to the store not "wanting" the product. Trailers are canceled depending on if it has reached a certain threshold of cartons loaded, issues with drivers, and depending on how many trailers are already in the yard waiting to be sent.
Yeah cuz i totally wanted the 20 pallets of poland springs the other day.

Yeah cuz i totally wanted the 20 pallets of poland springs the other day.
If we send it, your store ordered it! Complain to your SD or Regional director instead!
Also considering how empty many of the water bottle shelves are in stores in my area I wouldn't complain.

If we send it, your store ordered it! Complain to your SD or Regional director instead!
Also considering how empty many of the water bottle shelves are in stores in my area I wouldn't complain.
Im not really complaining. I know its supply chain issues id prefer to be able to a steady stream of items rather then 20 all at once. Stores are busier then ever but in many cases severely understaffed. I was merely stating it is "unwanted" but not necessarily "not needed". We are also getting lots of early stock for deal days. Basically just more freight then weve ever seen and not enough people or space to keep it organized.
Lastly its not just on our dsd or sd. Your leadership is shopping it around and seeing who will take it. All our dsd and sd see is more sales.

A few of my vendors are definitely having supply issues, especially Frito-Lay. It's not unusual for them to not get more than half their order on any given day...

My vendors are in the same boat. Pepperidge Farm only got one box of his fall flavors at the beginning of the season and might not get some of his Christmas stuff for a few weeks still. Frito gets about half of what he orders, Red Bull told me that a bunch of his product is stuck in shipping containers somewhere. Coke has been going through dry spells of certain Monster flavors for over a year.

I do wish people at my store would believe me when I say this. You can cancel the trailer but the freight lives on and will come with friends.

on a side note because of two canceled trailers we have a slight chance of getting a triple in the next week or so.
Well it is common sense tho you cancel a trailer doesn’t mean that freight is no longer coming to you it just means that I’ll let you get “ over this hiccup “ today and tomorrow we will be right back at it.
I would rather have the OD change the trailer door schedule than canceling trucks.

Well it is common sense tho you cancel a trailer doesn’t mean that freight is no longer coming to you it just means that I’ll let you get “ over this hiccup “ today and tomorrow we will be right back at it.
I would rather have the OD change the trailer door schedule than canceling trucks.
We only have one available dock for trailers

Back