Archived Swap Shift Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onizuka

Service Desk TM
I've been working at Target since April and so far I have put two shifts on the swap board. The first one was the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, because my boyfriend had the whole weekend off and wanted to spend time with me. (I was scheduled long shifts Fri, Sat, Sun, and Mon that weekend.) So I put it up and hoped someone would take it. If no one did if wasn't a big deal since it wasn't an emergency or anything. Someone did end up taking it and I had the day off.

A few days ago I put this Saturday up on the swap board because my grandma reminded me of the family reunion we were having this weekend. This reunion is a big deal to her and she really wants all her grandchildren to be there. I told her I was scheduled that day but I would try to get someone to take my shift. She understood and said she hoped I would be able to make it but if I didn't it was okay. If I really, desperately needed the day off I would just talk to HR or a TL or someone and get it worked out.

Yesterday as I was taking my fifteen minute break, one of the HR ladies asked me if I had seen the swap board. I said no and asked if someone had taken my shift. She said no but told me I was taken off the schedule anyway. I was a bit taken aback by this and she told me not to worry about it. Then she asked if there was a reason I was putting Saturday shifts up on the board. This was only my second one, but I was honest and explained the reasons why both shifts were put up.

Finally, here's my question: Is the swap shift board an informal way to request off or something? I was under the impression that time off was not guaranteed and that if no one takes your shift you still have to come in. I thought it was a way to try to get your shift covered to avoid calling out or getting rid of a shift you don't want. Will this look bad on me? I feel kind of guilty that I was taken off the schedule despite no one taking over for me. I'm still under 90 days and I want to keep this job.

You should request time off in ehr. Swap shift is usually last resort. But, you got lucky both times.

Under 90 days? Tread carefully. They can release you just because you burped. They let a flow tm go today. He literally missed one day under his 90 days.

See, the thing is that after 90 days, they have to document, coach, etc. So if there is any doubt you'll be a good worker and reliable, you could be gone.

Under 90 days? Tread carefully. They can release you just because you burped. They let a flow tm go today. He literally missed one day under his 90 days.

See, the thing is that after 90 days, they have to document, coach, etc. So if there is any doubt you'll be a good worker and reliable, you could be gone.

Either your HR was being nice and took you off the schedule, or they were happy to get an excuse to cut some hours.

Always ask for time off ASAP. You might have to do it multiple times to get it approved. If that fails or its last minute, then use the Swap Shift board.
It should be considered formal.

Remember you are responsible for your shift until a swapped shift is approved. Even if a TM says they will take it, and it isn't approved, you are responsible for the shift.

If you're regularly giving up shifts, that might get leadership's attention, esp if you're under 90 days.
It might convey the message that you're not as available as you stated when you first started &, face it, LOTS of people also call out on the weekends if no one takes their shift.
Tread carefully indeed.

You utilized the swap board for your own personal reasons. It's none of their business why you need off, and a violation of Hr policy to even ask you.

I would ask why you were removed without notification, and explain that you were just covering your bases.

At the end of the day, if you're covering your shift they shouldn't care.

You should request time off in ehr. Swap shift is usually last resort. But, you got lucky both times.

I'm not sure if other stores do this, but my store has a sign that says if you want to request a certain day off on ehr you need to do it by a certain date. I assumed it would be auto denied otherwise. I admit I should have remembered to request this Saturday off in advance but it completely slipped my mind.

That's what I'm afraid of. I guess I'm going to avoid requesting off and swapping shifts until my 90 days are up.

Either your HR was being nice and took you off the schedule, or they were happy to get an excuse to cut some hours.

Always ask for time off ASAP. You might have to do it multiple times to get it approved. If that fails or its last minute, then use the Swap Shift board.
It should be considered formal.

Remember you are responsible for your shift until a swapped shift is approved. Even if a TM says they will take it, and it isn't approved, you are responsible for the shift.

Yeah I requested my bday off a month in advance and it got auto denied. After all this I really don't want to ask off so I'll just hope I get the day off that day, or at least a day off that weekend..

The first time I got a shift covered I actually didn't know someone took it and didn't check my schedule online before going to work so I got sent home. I was fully prepared to work this Saturday if no one took the shift. I feel a bit guilty that they took me off without someone covering it..

If you're regularly giving up shifts, that might get leadership's attention, esp if you're under 90 days.
It might convey the message that you're not as available as you stated when you first started &, face it, LOTS of people also call out on the weekends if no one takes their shift.
Tread carefully indeed.

I'll be avoiding the swap shift board for sure. No more of that until after my 90 days. I told myself I wouldn't call out until after 90 days, so I wasn't planning on calling out if this Saturday wasn't covered. Although I understand other people probably do that frequently. I have completely open availability at the moment so hopefully that helps.

You utilized the swap board for your own personal reasons. It's none of their business why you need off, and a violation of Hr policy to even ask you.

I would ask why you were removed without notification, and explain that you were just covering your bases.

At the end of the day, if you're covering your shift they shouldn't care.

This is exactly how I viewed it. I didn't expect to be taken off the schedule like that at all, and fully expected to come in this Saturday if no one took the shift. I thought it was weird that she asked me that question but I think she was mainly asking to see if maybe something was going on with me on Saturdays, like an unexpected change in availability. It just took me off guard.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back