Archived Swapping Shifts during 90 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so here's my dilemma. I've been working at Target as a Hardlines member for 4 or 5 weeks now, and it's been awesome and I'm really lovingly it, but I just got scheduled for a shift that I can't be at because of a commitment at school. I called the HR-ETL and she said I could either call out or find someone to swap shifts with, and I told her I would try and find someone to swap with. The problem is that because I'm so new I don't really know anyone, and we don't have a swap board in my store you just have to find someone that agrees to swap with you, but I don't have any friends their yet so I wouldn't even know who to ask. The other problem is that I'm a minor, so I can't work past 10:00pm or it's against the law, so I was going to just ask someone I saw on the floor when I work today, but their shifts will probably last until after 10.

So I guess my question is, should I ask around and hope for a miracle, or should I just call out and hope it doesn't affect my job since I'm still in my 90 day period? And how would I even go about asking if I could swap shifts with somebody?

Ask your TL if anyone is looking for hours, they should be able to tell you. If not, ask the GSTL if any cashiers are looking for hours. They might be able to give them a Hardlines shift if they're not scheduled to be working that day. And if they are, they might do half their shift cashiering then half Hardlines... and most of that second half being a check lane back up.

If not, I'd change your availability ASAP to accommodate your school commitments/schedule. If you did 3+ weeks ago and got scheduled outside of availability, then you can call in and say "I was scheduled outside of my availability and I can't work today because of other commitments."

But if not, I'd just ask your TL and the store's GSTL on site or just call in, they should be able to get someone to come in maybe. School is important and so is your job, you kind of have to juggle both those things and it sucks lol.

Ask around. Ask your TL if anyone is looking for hours.

This is best practice. I know some districts hate swap shift boards. Stupid, it is better than call outs.

Also ask your HR TM if they would look at the grid for thst day and help you figure out who is not working that day. They might even call some people for you.

Ask your HRTM. As HRZone mentioned, they might call people to see if they can take the shift. Ask other people who work on the sales floor. Even if they aren't a minor they can take your shift and might just want more hours and won't need you to take a shift for them. Sometimes at my store we put pot it notes on the schedule for that week asking someone to take that shift. If your store lets you do that, people who you don't normally work with would be able to see it as well. Worst case, you have to call out. One call out shouldn't hurt you too much as long as it doesn't become a habit.

Swapping a shift doesn't mean you have to take someone else's shift too.

Just ask other TMs in your workcenter if they want to pick up your shift.

i switched shifts with a minor before, my shift was until 10 so they switched it to make her be off at 9:45. that was a cashier shift though and there was another closer so not sure how that would work. it kinda depends on your leaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back