Archived Talent Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcellow

No and that’s final
So I've heard that, because of our overnight team signing up for one-on-ones for TL development, Talent Day moved up from March to January and have told us to keep an eye out for it. Has anyone been a part of Talent Day before and what is it exactly?

OK, so WTF is talent day?

Never had talent shows growing up?
giphy.gif

OK, so WTF is talent day?
talent day is when a bunch of TLs, ETLs and STLs bombard on your store for showing off their Talents in aisle through out the store.
My store hosted it the 1st Tuesday of every month for about 3 months in a row.

So you will have to super zone and make your store look great for all the other local Target team members coming to your store.

talent day is when a bunch of TLs, ETLs and STLs bombard on your store for showing off their Talents in aisle through out the store.
So you will have to super zone and make your store look great for all the other local Target team members coming to your store.

From what I have been involved in, It is a day to show up and be nothing, but positive. Always a smile outside, no matter what you see. Always, point out your negative observations in a positive manner, but never contrast your positive with the aforementioned negative. Make sure to point at least 8 times, with a positive expression, and only at most , 4 in a neutral expression.

Here is the Target Initiation Video of what to expect at Talent day.

From another thread:
I found this: "talent development days are a monthly opportunity for a number of ETLs (Executive Team Leaders) to join the DTL and hosting STLs in a day of developmental activities geared at teaching, training and developing each leader through activities such as:

–Store visits to neighboring Target stores to assess wins, opportunities and fresh perspectives.

–Roundtable discussions surrounding leadership tools and new company/store initiatives.

–Mock interviews."

And this from a poster here: "
This was a common thing in my area for TLs who were interested in moving up. There was a monthly (sometimes only quarterly) meeting where TLs/Sr.TLs and ETLs/STLs from around the district would get together and do sort of mini-mock interviews, discuss leadership strategies, etc., all aimed at helping people get ready for the next step in their Target careers, just as you've described. They would also use the Talent Days to establish mentor/mentee relationships between TLs/Sr.s and ETLs/STLs from other stores, and then have followup emails/meetings, blah blah etc.

I don't recall ever seeing one for TMs, but it makes sense. I'm sure the specific content won't be quite the same (since your current role is much different from a TL/Sr.TL's), but the basic idea will be: discussing how to make yourselves better at what you do, how to find and take on extra responsibilities, how to prepare for the responsibilities of your desired next step (and the interview for it), etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they even do the mentorship thing. I'd imagine your Day will be TMs meeting primarily with TLs though, as opposed to primarily execs. It just makes more sense.

(Disclaimer: I never actually attended one of these meetings, as I never had a desire to become an exec. But plenty of my peers went to (and subsequently complained about) them through the years.)"
Thanks
indigo25

You’re confusing talent day for monthly brand walks (unless your store just calls it that).

Talent day is store side leadership and the district discussing TM to TL, TL to ETL, and broader promotional opportunities. They’re usually done tri-annually or semiannually.

Obligatory brag: my STL is throwing my name in for a specific ETL position. I’ve been kissing ass since November and I’m pretty over it.

Have them exhibit said talent date checking salad dressing and condiments.

Target actually does leadership development? Seriously, I've been thinking for a very long time that it's more an on-going demonstration of the Peter Principle. Not all the leaders at my store are bad, some are even good some of the time, but solid leadership shown consistently seems to be in short supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back