Archived Target Disciplinary Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

brobley

rubberball busted
I'm not certain I understand it. People have written here about being "coached" - does whoever is coaching you have to use the word "coaching"? Is that a part of your permanent employee record? Does it basically mean what "verbal warning" means in most workplaces?

Also, what's with the signing of documents stating you violated compliance or a rule or whatever?

My very first lunch break a month or so ago, I clocked back in from lunch after 30 minutes instead of 31 minutes. Literally a minute difference, because no one had told me lunches had to be 31 minutes and not 30. Anyway, no big, but they made me sign a paper about it. Is that considered a "coaching"?

Today, my ETL came by and asked me to sign another similar document. I didn't get to read it, but he told me it was about my being signed on to a PDA that wasn't signed out yesterday. I'm a creature of habit. I signed out PDA#18 as I did all week, and signed it back in. Never left my sight, so I didn't just accidentally switch off with someone else (which, of course, does happen, but didn't yesterday). I even remembered what pens I used to sign it in and out. So I didn't sign ETL's (coaching?) document. I wasn't rude or defensive, just told my ETL I had 18 signed out all shift and only used 18. He said he'd have it researched.

I don't want to be a dick about it, but if I signed out wrong, I want to know how. And although I have probably taken a PDA without signing it out once or twice, it wasn't yesterday. I'm sure of it.

Anyway, what's with these violation documents? Do they compile them and use them against you at reviews, as justification for a piss-poor raise? Can you require them to show some proof?

And how many coachings do you get before something more serious?

BTW, I'm sure I got an employee manual at some point; I'm equally sure I misplaced it.

You folks offer a lot more insight than just information though, so you're my preferred source.

I'm not certain I understand it. People have written here about being "coached" - does whoever is coaching you have to use the word "coaching"? Is that a part of your permanent employee record? Does it basically mean what "verbal warning" means in most workplaces?

Also, what's with the signing of documents stating you violated compliance or a rule or whatever?

My very first lunch break a month or so ago, I clocked back in from lunch after 30 minutes instead of 31 minutes. Literally a minute difference, because no one had told me lunches had to be 31 minutes and not 30. Anyway, no big, but they made me sign a paper about it. Is that considered a "coaching"?

Today, my ETL came by and asked me to sign another similar document. I didn't get to read it, but he told me it was about my being signed on to a PDA that wasn't signed out yesterday. I'm a creature of habit. I signed out PDA#18 as I did all week, and signed it back in. Never left my sight, so I didn't just accidentally switch off with someone else (which, of course, does happen, but didn't yesterday). I even remembered what pens I used to sign it in and out. So I didn't sign ETL's (coaching?) document. I wasn't rude or defensive, just told my ETL I had 18 signed out all shift and only used 18. He said he'd have it researched.

I don't want to be a dick about it, but if I signed out wrong, I want to know how. And although I have probably taken a PDA without signing it out once or twice, it wasn't yesterday. I'm sure of it.

Anyway, what's with these violation documents? Do they compile them and use them against you at reviews, as justification for a piss-poor raise? Can you require them to show some proof?

And how many coachings do you get before something more serious?

Basically a coaching is a verbal warning that is documented. You shouldn't have been allowed to clock-in during the 30th minute. The clock would reject the punch. I believe the signature makes it formal coaching. Coachings are usually minor things. But don't stack them up, they can lead to corrective action, final warnings and in severe cases termination.

The time clock should not have let you punch back in before you hit 31 minutes. Unless your store uses a different model of time clock, it should've rejected your punch.

Ok, for the lunch one...did you clock out and in, or do a punch correction? If you clocked out under meal, and then clock back in under meal, there is no way to physically clock in early, unless the time clock is offline (which is rare and it will say offline under the time). If you did a punch correction because you forgot to clock out/in, always make it 31 minutes to be safe.

The PDA one makes no sense. If you signed it out and in, who the hell cares ? There are many times as a TM, I don't have a PDA, so I have to borrow someone's for five seconds to help a guest or figure out where something goes. Invariably, the thing has logged off. Thus, I just sign in and do what I need to do and hand it back.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about the fact that you received a written warning for that than anything else. Either your store has serious issues with that that they are trying to fix (though it seems odd) or they have something out for you.

But something isn't right.

The lunch clock was offline the first time I used it, the first time I had a lunch. I only learned later that if it says offline, you have to remember the time and add 31 minutes before you can clock in. Our store's clock is frequently offline. They tell us it still records our punches, but we have to keep the time. Guess I didn't keep time right, by one minute, because I've always known a lunch break at other jobs as 30 minutes, not 31. But again, a misunderstanding I guess, no big deal. It hasn't happened again, and it didn't come up in my 90 day review, which was overwhelmingly positive.

The PDA thing bothers me more, because it was factually wrong, and it was still written up. ETL first told me he wasn't sure what day it was for, so I had him look on the document for the date. He said it was yesterday, and I vividly remember signing in and out. They have been missing PDAs a lot lately at my store, so I understand they're keeping track. And so I'm keeping track of myself, being extra careful to sign for everything and have witnesses to hand-offs of walkies when I can. They don't keep track of walkies yet, but they will soon because most of them are broken or disappeared, and they don't ever order new ones.

Last edited:
The PDA thing bothers me more, because it was factually wrong, and it was still written up. ETL first told me he wasn't sure what day it was for, so I had him look on the document for the date. He said it was yesterday, and I vividly remember signing in and out. They have been missing PDAs a lot lately at my store, so I understand they're keeping track. And so I'm keeping track of myself, being extra careful to sign for everything and have witnesses to hand-offs of walkies when I can. They don't keep track of walkies yet, but they will soon because most of them are broken or disappeared, and they don't ever order new ones.

Stores should have access to the old sign in/out sheets for PDA. Find that sheet and confirm that you signed it back in.

Consider it challenged. I have the next 3 days off, but I'll ask about it when I go in Wednesday and report back. As always, thanks for the support/insight.

Stores should have access to the old sign in/out sheets for PDA. Find that sheet and confirm that you signed it back in.

I will definitely ask to see this, because I know I signed it.

You guys still have sign in and sign out sheets? We stopped that a long time ago. Apparently when we sign into a PDA we automatically become responsible for it until we sign out. If a PDA is missing then AP just look at the last person to sign out of that PDA then check the cameras to see if they put it back in the equipment room. But if they didn't put it back in the equipment room, good lawd, all hell breaks loose and get prepared to be put on a Corrective Action from the STL herself.

You guys still have sign in and sign out sheets? We stopped that a long time ago. Apparently when we sign into a PDA we automatically become responsible for it until we sign out. If a PDA is missing then AP just look at the last person to sign out of that PDA then check the cameras to see if they put it back in the equipment room. But if they didn't put it back in the equipment room, good lawd, all hell breaks loose and get prepared to be put on a Corrective Action from the STL herself.

Paper is better because the worker still has access to the information. The normal worker has no access to AP's PDA logs, so a worker can't check to see if they signed in or out.

Paper is better because the worker still has access to the information. The normal worker has no access to AP's PDA logs, so a worker can't check to see if they signed in or out.
Any tm can access the report that shows PDA logins. I only ever stumble across it. I can never remember where it's at.

My store recently moved the equipment cabinet back to the fitting room, so now I am the equipment police. As a result of this we regularly have PDAs and LPDAs available because they are signed in and out on a regular basis. When I close I pull up the login report (Workbench/Front End/PDA/Equipment Control?) and do a full count. Typically I have to make a trip to the TL office to grab one or two. I know that at least one TL has been given a verbal for not following the established protocol in our store.

Start looking for another job ASAP. I am dead serious.

What your ETLs are doing (trying to get you to sign documents saying you messed up) is *not* typical. This *only* happens when they have identified you as someone they want to get rid of and now need a solid paper trail to justify it.

Honestly, it sounds like your ETL's are jack asses and you probably have not done anything wrong to justify what they are doing. However, for whatever reason, (probably personality issues), they have decided to get rid of you. Yes, that is exactly what they are doing. No, you can't do anything to stop them at this point. If they are getting you for being 1 minute off at the time clock and trying to invent you messing up with the damn PDA log, then this a pretty much a sure fire sign they are hell bent on getting rid of you.... and shit like being 1 minute off on the time clock is the best they can get you on. (feel good about that - it means you are a good employee and they are just candy asses)

Anyway, the way Target is these days, there is nothing you can do to stop this. Can you slow it down and make it more difficult for them? Yea, but in the end they will get enough documentation to get rid of you.... even if that documentation is "On 2/9/14 TM walked by 5 guests and tried to help them but didn't say anything to guest number 6" "On 2/11/14 TM didn't cover the diamonds on one 4 foot section of his zone in Toys" "On 2/13/14 TM let one call box go to second request"

Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? But that is exactly what they are doing right now.... (I was a TL in the past, and saw "documented" stuff used to get rid of TMs even lamer than the above) every little thing wrong they are documenting.

You need to start working on a new job, and you need to do it soon. If you manage to get one before they term you, just stop showing up. Don't even give them a two weeks because they will term you in disgrace before the two weeks is up.

That's what I want to do, but what if the new job doesn't work out or something better comes along? I'd hate to throw away 4 years of being a good worker.

These may be one offs but I would certainly keep what SoT said firmly in the back of your mind.

It's possible that you got caught in the middle of the crossfire when it came to a series of 'we're going to start enforcing the rules now' write ups I wouldn't be so sure.
It just seems too random and pardon the expression. targeted.

I would fight back, challenge the PDA time one etc.
But from now on watch your back.

If you like your job. Fight to keep your job. Get as much paperwork as you can, so you have evidence. Even though companies like Target have been chipping away worker rights. We still have some rights today. If they want a "meeting" ask for a another TM to be a witness in the meeting. Also ask for a copy of your personal file. In some states, they have laws that let you have access. Also know your rights. SPOT maybe doing something illegal and you may have a case for the National Labour Relations Board.

State Laws on Access to Your Personnel File:
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/employee-rights-book/chapter5-2.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back