Archived Target drops Paula Deen

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a sales standpoint it is not big deal. Or at least not in most markets. From a PR standpoint, I think Target had to make the change. This does not mean I agree or disagree with the decision, but if everyone else is jumping ship, Target cannot afford the bad press. Sales are really bad anyway, so Target needs to stay looking good in the public eye.

isn't she worth around $10 million? She's in her sixties; she may run outta time before money, so i see a minimal impact for her personally, other than public embarrassment.

a lot of folks at our store say she should be held to a higher standard due to being a public figure. I say we are all role models for everyone around us, people in glass houses, blah blah. i'm sure we've all said or thought horrible things about other minorities/genders/religions/kardashians/etc., whether it be in a joking, satirical, or purely hateful manner. I can't count how many racial slurs I hear in music, online, or in daily conversations; i think people need to get over it and use that new found time for volunteering and actually impacting the world. i feel it would put their actions into better perspective. (my very unpopular opinion in my store lol).

It doesn't matter if it was truly awful or not, she has to pay the consequences or our society will be accused of condoning light racism. It's the price to pay, it has to be expected.

We don't have much Paula Deen stuff, but it'll be nice to get her mug out of the store.

Yeh, the fallout from the contribution to the anti-gay candidate was just dying down...

Honestly, I didn't know we carried any Paula Deen stuff. I knew about Giada, but I've never seen any of the PD stuff. Apparently we have "limited stock" of some of it (thanks, target.com) The reviews for her cookware are all mediocre... at best.

Yeh, the fallout from the contribution to the anti-gay candidate was just dying down...

That's been pretty dead around here for a while. The gay couple on the wedding registry ad (or brochure?) about a year ago fixed that, I think. I used that ad during my interview as a reason I wanted to work for Target lol. I was in love with Target back then.

It was located right next to Gilda stuff in kitchen.

I've never seen it in its actual place. I've only seen the Giada stuff when at the register or when I find stuff abandoned on baby gondola shelves... or in display cribs.

Read the deposition, end of page 9 to beginning of page 10 for a laugh: http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/06/entertainment/deen-deposition/

"Q: Where did you live prior to that?
A: 622 East 60th street.
Q: For how long?
A: Oh, my gosh. Probably five or six years.
Q: And who lived there with you?
A: When the house was first bought, it was my first husband and our children.
Q: Okay, and what was your first husbands name?
A: Jimmy.
Q: And his last name?
A: Deen.
Q: No relation to the sausage?
A: No

This media frenzy about Paula Deen is so stupid.

I don't agree with this but my father in law uses the N-word as a description of someone of any race he deems lazy. And his best friend is African American.

Why couldn't he just call them.. lazy!?
I see "having a black friend" is still the default "evidence" that someone isn't racist in 2013.

Not only did Paula Deen use the N-word, but she said she wanted all black servers to represent house slaves. She was romanticizing slavery! There's nothing about slavery that is cute or deserving of romanticizing.

this media frenzy about paula deen is so stupid.

I don't agree with this but my father in law uses the n-word as a description of someone of any race he deems lazy. And his best friend is african american.

qft.

I'll give my 2c on this... so everyone's dropping her endorsement deals and all that BS because she admitted to using a racial slur *years* ago? ok let me say this.... how many of those on here can honestly say they have *NOT EVER* used a racial slur at SOME point in their lives? If you say you have not, ever, used a racial slur once in your life, you're a bloody LIAR. everyone has. /thread.

edit: i now find out that it was used close to 30 years ago. thats a good number of years more than i've been alive..

Last edited:
I'll give my 2c on this... so everyone's dropping her endorsement deals and all that BS because she admitted to using a racial slur *years* ago? ok let me say this.... how many of those on here can honestly say they have *NOT EVER* used a racial slur at SOME point in their lives? If you say you have not, ever, used a racial slur once in your life, you're a bloody LIAR. everyone has. /thread.

/me raises hand.
Guess it depends on how you were raised.
If you were sent out in the cold to shovel a mountain of frozen horse sh!t for using a rather unpleasant slang term for Alaska natives, you tend to learn mighty quick to avoid that kind of language for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
no one cares. For someone who uses a pound of butter in every recipe, does she seem like the paragon of good decisions? oh, and don't forget her creation, the Sambo burger, which she had to rename...

If you use the word to mean lazy or whatever, it doesn't make a damn difference because I'd still cuss you out for it and so would many other black people. Idgaf what "black friend" gave you "permission." If your one black friend allows it, that DOESN'T mean I have to be unoffended. Your friend is allowed to be offended by whatever it is he's offended by

Also, if Paula hadn't been a shady liar before (diabetes scandal) and if her apology had an ounce of sincerity (if you've seen any of the 3 apology videos, you know what I mean) she wouldn't be in this ish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do we call people "white" or "black?"
Think about it.....I'm "white" but I sure do not match a white piece of paper. People who are "black" aren't as dark as the night sky. It seems pretty stupid to me that we must use these words to describe someone.

And why do people assume that a "black" person is of African heritage?
Why are "nude" stockings/nylons always shown on a "white" woman?

When I was a kid, it was OK to call "black" people "colored." One day someone asked me....if those people are "colored" then what does that make you? I have struggled with trying to find the best word to describe a person's skin color ever since that time. The best words I find that I am comfortable using is "browned skin" and "cream skin."

Too bad we don't have better terms to use when talking about someone's skin color.

/me raises hand.
Guess it depends on how you were raised.
If you were sent out in the cold to shovel a mountain of frozen horse sh!t for using a rather unpleasant slang term for Alaska natives, you tend to learn mighty quick to avoid that kind of language for the rest of your life.

Me neither. I was raised to never, ever say those words. And my mom cussed a lot, so if there were words she felt that strongly about, I wasn't about to use them :p I also grew up in a very white, redneck town, where people were frequently racist. I deal with my own subconscious racism from growing up in that environment, but I never use epithets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back