Archived Target Express

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of months ago a thread was posted about a new concept store called Target Express near the University of Minnesota campus in Minneapolis.

Never heard of this, here is a link to a Star Tribune article on the store: http://www.startribune.com/business/240803311.html

Today I actually got a chance to speak to the STL and one of the ETL's from the Target Express store, and here is some info I found out. I don't think its anything of super surprising, but it will have a small general merchandise area focused on cosmetics, toiletries, a grocery section, and it will have a pharmacy. Keep in mind that the floor plan is 20,000 sqft which is 1/5 of the normal Target store size. The STL referred to it being the only grocery store near the campus, so my guess is it will be heavy on grocery compared to everything else. The also STL told me their main competitor is the CVS Pharmacy about three blocks away, and said by comparison their prices were higher to much higher than the prices of the items stocked in the Target express store. Their open date is still July 27th as cited by the article, and will be poaching help from the surrounding stores, so hopefully I can give you a sneak peak about what it actually looks like.

After typing this, it seems like I didn't get any more info than we had before, but I guess I was just glad to hear about an innovation that makes sense.

Wonder how conversion will go over there.

Wonder how conversion will go over there.

Actually the store I work at which is also relatively close to the campus, there's three so hopefully that doesn't narrow me down too much, does pretty good with conversion during BTS. Mainly because a lot of the college kids (especially freshmen) need groceries but don't have money to pay for it, or want to save 5 percent off whatever they'd usually buy at Target with the debit. So my guess is that it won't be too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back