Target GiftCards: why are access codes so hard to read - and inconsistently placed?

For some time, as our guests are well aware - this isn't an internal corporate secret, it's something guests can readily observe when they are at checkout - we've had to obtain the Giftcard access codes as part of redemption. Usually this involves peeling or scratching something to find the access code, and to do so without overscratching or obliterating the tiny print. The access codes are often tiny to miniscule, sometimes 4 pt font but at other times a faint 2 pt or even 1 pt. Some giftcards are more difficult to peel off than others. Why does this have to be such a bloody hassle? Why can't there be some consistency here, it becomes a colossal waste of time when the codes aren't legible to a person with corrected but imperfect vision.

Truth. Twice last week I had to have someone (once a guest, once a TM) read the numbers for me. At home I use my camera and zoom in on the numbers to read them and add them to my wallet 😂 But the last one I got (received as a gift for Christmas lol) scratches off beautifully (there would be no peeling of this one..) and the numbers were nice and big and clear! Now if they could get the barcodes for the access numbers to be easily scanned, consistently, would be the cherry on top.

I keep a penny outside my drawer to scratch off the grey, but I really miss the ones you can just peel. For the super small ones, I might use my phone to take a pic of the access code so I can zoom in. I do this to get the dcpi on clothing too.

Yup I price inquiry, back, total super quick when I’m done scanning. Sometimes I don’t have time to “go ahead and press no thanks” “oh if you want to enter your phone number you have to press enter mobile number” “please just press no thanks on the screen” “it’s a rewards program...” like omg I just need to get these guests in and out so I can get the line down

I know the access code was as dumb as putting the Tarshit circle to appear after every transaction starts. I hate .....having to tell people answer the question almost every sing time. Why do they have make it so hard ...."
Like you, it annoys me that we gotta remind the guest that they gotta type in their number or say "no thanks". It's particularly bad when a particular guest has a couple of price challenges, or unusually difficult price-match requests (i.e. items are not an exact match for Target's version), or their coupons bring up the red "this coupon is against our store policy" screen, or they have crying or bratty children --- and now we gotta deal with Circle before the sale can be totaled and paid.

That makes sense— it activates the card reader. Good tip, I’ll try
Yup I price inquiry, back, total super quick when I’m done scanning. Sometimes I don’t have time to “go ahead and press no thanks” “oh if you want to enter your phone number you have to press enter mobile number” “please just press no thanks on the screen” “it’s a rewards program...” like omg I just need to get these guests in and out so I can get the line down

we should be asking every guest every time

All you do is say "while you are waiting for me to finish, make a selection on the card reader about Target circle."

All you do is say "while you are waiting for me to finish, make a selection on the card reader about Target circle."
Guests don’t listen they’re too dumb to figure it out so that’s why I do the price inquiry thing to get rid of it

I use the inquiry method when I've: "please touch the screen and enter your mobile number or I can scan the barcode on your target app to participate with Target's loyalty program Circle or you can touch no thanks if you are not participating today." If that leads to confusion or blank stares especially in the elderly and those that don't seem to speak English I use the inquiry method. Anyone who is even remotely interested will ask me- "what does that mean or what is circle "if they want a longer explanation. If guests know they have to make a selection before we can total, and are regulars they will just make a choice without me saying anything. That's what I am trying to train them to do. I don't want confusion as to sometimes that applies and sometimes not. If a guest does not do anything after my schpeel (but I believe they understood me), I remind them that it won't let me move on until they make a selection and will make the system beep a few times if necessary. Yes it is a waste of time and hope that once Target is sure everyone who wants to know about circle has had a chance will remove the mandatory aspect as they have done at SCO.

Last edited:
From a guest perspective, I'd be pretty ticked off as the second person in line waiting for the pitch, explanation, repeating if something was phrased confusing, until finally the transaction is done and it's my turn.

When designing an idea that is to be "sold" the next person in line should be taken into account. Trying to hook one person shouldn't be time consuming enough that the next two aggravated people say no just to spite you if they would normally have been interested.

Explaining a red card is one thing. Teaching Circle offers is too much. The phone number is bad because it just invites conflict ("why do you want my number?") There's a reason rewards cards are common, that tangible card is more inviting than an electronic only sign up. And asking as part of getting the card gives the customer a sense of control, which is a lot better than the machine locking up with a demand.

any one of my team members pressing no thanks (or doing that cute little price inquiry trick) without actually asking the guest is getting a documented coaching. circle is so easy to talk to guests about so there's really no excuse for not doing it.

Back