Target GiftCards: why are access codes so hard to read - and inconsistently placed?

I usually tell people that they can earn rewards using just their phone number but when they go to redeem rewards they will have to either do it through the app or ahead of time loading the rewards and coupons on the computer or if they are the type who always has their phone and would prefer to do everything through the app that is an option too.

I’ve never actually seen any circle deals appear after someone enters their phone number... I’ll press total and back and nothing changes and I end up having to scan their phone

I really wish it was easier to press the button on the card reader screen. I had a guest said no thank you, and I let her know again she just had to tap the ‘No Thanks’ button on the screen.

Soon enough, I hear loud clacking and saw the face of someone ready to rip out the card reader and chuck it in the trash bin. I helped her press the button when she finally gave up. Naw, I get the frustration especially when she had a gaggle of kids flocking around

I really wish it was easier to press the button on the card reader screen. I had a guest said no thank you, and I let her know again she just had to tap the ‘No Thanks’ button on the screen.

Soon enough, I hear loud clacking and saw the face of someone ready to rip out the card reader and chuck it in the trash bin. I helped her press the button when she finally gave up. Naw, I get the frustration especially when she had a gaggle of kids flocking around
It’s easy to press it just takes 2 seconds to clear

It’s easy to press it just takes 2 seconds to clear

The touch screen for the card readers at my store aren’t calibrated well, so it doesn’t register the pen or finger touch well. Few of them are actually okay on the 2nd level, but even cashier ran in some difficulty (so the pressing the inquiry button is really useful info to know now). I ran into some trouble before getting through the screen for the mom

The touch screen for the card readers at my store aren’t calibrated well, so it doesn’t register the pen or finger touch well. Few of them are actually okay on the 2nd level, but even cashier ran in some difficulty (so the pressing the inquiry button is really useful info to know now). I ran into some trouble before getting through the screen for the mom
It takes time to clear for everyone but if it’s not working for other stuff, create a ticket in myhelp, they can send a tech

Completely agree and we should also be able to override.

fun fact, if the you/guest hits no thanks, and later want to enter their phone number, hit k7 phone entry to retrigger the screen
Does this work at SCO? I have guests who hit pay all the time and then ask me where to enter their phone number.

Does this work at SCO? I have guests who hit pay all the time and then ask me where to enter their phone number.

If all they’ve done is hit Pay, and not selected an option after that, the “Enter Mobile Number” button is still on the SCO screen—SCO doesn’t ask for their number on the PIN pad like the regular checkouts do, it’s entirely on the SCO screen. In lieu of that, if they didn’t have any Circle offers saved to redeem and all they’re wanting is the 1% in rewards, community support votes, etc., they can add a missed transaction by scanning the barcode on the receipt with their Target app on their phone.

You don’t have to use the app. That’s the point of the phone number. You can add the deals via target.com/circle and enter your phone number or have target.com/circle pulled up in your web browser.
Entering your phone number only earns your 1 % if using cash/gift card/ non-redcard payment along with points to vote on the charity of your choice. If you want to get 5% off that gallon of milk you have to actually scan the bar code inside the app. Or the guest can print a copy of their bar code from their computer to use. This bar code never changes so they can scan the same one each visit - no need to reprint it.

I’ve never actually seen any circle deals appear after someone enters their phone number... I’ll press total and back and nothing changes and I end up having to scan their phone
Entering your phone number only earns your 1 % if using cash/gift card/ non-redcard payment along with points to vote on the charity of your choice. If you want to get 5% off that gallon of milk you have to actually scan the bar code inside the app. Or the guest can print a copy of their bar code from their computer to use. This bar code never changes so they can scan the same one each visit - no need to reprint it.

The phone number does get people the discounts. I have guests who only enter their number, and it works. Actually, I’ve had my mom use my Circle to get 5% off of Pimientos by putting my phone number in, so there’s also that. Just have to make sure the deals are actually saved to their account before they enter their number.

If all they’ve done is hit Pay, and not selected an option after that, the “Enter Mobile Number” button is still on the SCO screen—SCO doesn’t ask for their number on the PIN pad like the regular checkouts do, it’s entirely on the SCO screen. In lieu of that, if they didn’t have any Circle offers saved to redeem and all they’re wanting is the 1% in rewards, community support votes, etc., they can add a missed transaction by scanning the barcode on the receipt with their Target app on their phone.
All I do is work SCO and there isn’t an option to enter your mobile number on the main screen. It’s on the card reader screen and it automatically goes away (no action required by the guest) when they tap the “pay” button. Unless this is a new update that hasn’t hit my store yet. I’d love a pic showing where this is at so I can help guests.

Had a guest the other day who’s phone had died and forgot to enter her phone number before hitting pay. I explained how she can just scan the barcode on her receipt and she said “I’m not doing that. Just cancel everything so I can rescan it.” 🤦🏻‍♀️ Luckily she only had about 10 things.

All I do is work SCO and there isn’t an option to enter your mobile number on the main screen. It’s on the card reader screen and it automatically goes away (no action required by the guest) when they tap the “pay” button. Unless this is a new update that hasn’t hit my store yet. I’d love a pic showing where this is at so I can help guests.

Had a guest the other day who’s phone had died and forgot to enter her phone number before hitting pay. I explained how she can just scan the barcode on her receipt and she said “I’m not doing that. Just cancel everything so I can rescan it.” 🤦🏻‍♀️ Luckily she only had about 10 things.

That’s weird, because our SCOs at my store have a button on the main checkout screen when they’re scanning their items that says “Enter Mobile Number”—it’s in a darker shade of red with a cute pic of Bullseye and everything. I’m pretty sure of this because I’ve been working SCO a lot recently myself. :)

That’s weird, because our SCOs at my store have a button on the main checkout screen when they’re scanning their items that says “Enter Mobile Number”—it’s in a darker shade of red with a cute pic of Bullseye and everything. I’m pretty sure of this because I’ve been working SCO a lot recently myself. :)
Well, I hope to god it’s there when I get to work tomorrow. I’m tired of repeating myself at SCO.

At SCO it does ask for the phone number on the pin pad. I’ve had to pull it back up by hitting k7 if they missed it. Unless that’s apart of the update that’s coming up. Ours doesn’t update until the 27th.

When you enter store mode k7 should say phone entry and bring it back up, unless that’s apart of the new update, then that sucks.

Termed for using Target circle? That seems incredibly punitive to me. There must've been more infractions than just that....

Wouldn't the phone number also be tied to the TM number? Maybe it's not sharing Circle, maybe it was the inclusion of the TM number.

Many times I would let my daughter have the printed Cartwheel barcode to get the exclusive Starbucks offer during our grocery runs. The printed barcode didn't attach my TM discount even though my phone did, and no one ever said anything about her use of Cartwheel only.

Wouldn't the phone number also be tied to the TM number? Maybe it's not sharing Circle, maybe it was the inclusion of the TM number.

Many times I would let my daughter have the printed Cartwheel barcode to get the exclusive Starbucks offer during our grocery runs. The printed barcode didn't attach my TM discount even though my phone did, and no one ever said anything about her use of Cartwheel only.
Phone number does not apply ™ discount but my guess is she was somehow sharing the discount as well.

It's probably against TOS to share your phone number with friends & family, even if you're not a TM, and since you're a TM and "should know better" then it's termable? Or it was just one issue among many.

It's probably against TOS to share your phone number with friends & family, even if you're not a TM, and since you're a TM and "should know better" then it's termable? Or it was just one issue among many.
There’s no way you get termed for just sharing cartwheel. CA, maybe, but not term. There must have been other stuff

Does Target ever send you text messages if you just have Circle? I don't think I've ever gotten a text message from them except for verifying my phone number. I have Redcard and the app, though.
I can't recall receiving any text messages, other than the verification text, since joining Circle.

It takes time to clear for everyone but if it’s not working for other stuff, create a ticket in myhelp, they can send a tech
Good idea except for one thing: our store doesn't authorize Guest Advocate TMs to "create a ticket in myhelp" so "they can send a tech". I'm not being sarcastic or cynical here, just honest about our store's approach which is to keep very tight control of overhead. It's a very good business practice from a budgetary standpoint - part of why our store is well-regarded in our area - yet at times this leads to extremely long delays for maintenance and repairs of essential equipment.

Back