Archived Target Girls Clothing Sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
It seems that there has been a bit of a back lash to the massive difference in way boys and girls clothing are cut.
Stephanie Geise brought blogged about how toddler girls and boys shorts were made with sometimes half as much cloth for the same size.
It looks like there is a building response.

I have been in touch with the Target Corporate Headquarters and I am so excited to report that they have read all of the comments that moms are leaving in response to that post! I am beyond thrilled to announce that I am going to start working with Target towards change, starting in my own house. They have asked me to provide them with some specific feedback about children's clothes and I am going to start working towards a behind the scenes partnership with them to get more of what moms and girls want into their stores. Thank you Target for hearing our voices and taking our concerns very seriously![\quote]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steph...t-their-girls-clothing-problem_b_5923274.html

A girl doesn't have the same built than a boy , but the clothes sold at target are often too grown up for girls, too slutty !

And who is designing the clothes? It is for the most part ugly ! Fake leather pants /jacket / red plaid / unicorn legging????

The cheetah fur vest...I want them to gohi clearance so my dog can use it as a chew toy...

Sounds like she's being placated to me. "working with target towards change starting in my own house" and "working towards a behind the scenes partnership" sound an awful lot like she's being allowed to do whatever busywork she wants and Target will "take it under consideration"

A girl doesn't have the same built than a boy , but the clothes sold at target are often too grown up for girls, too slutty !

And who is designing the clothes? It is for the most part ugly ! Fake leather pants /jacket / red plaid / unicorn legging????

I LOVE that line! It's like punky grungy. I like the faux fur vest too. Ugly is subjective, though, and the tacky unicorn and galaxy cat stuff as well as other gaudy stuff seems to be well received by the little girls who shop my store.

My biggest problem with the girls department is all the pinks and purples. I don't have children, but I don't think the little shorts would fly for my hypothetical children, personally. And the clothes for women and girls are thinner than those for men and boys. Go feel the women's thermal, then feel the men's one. One feels cheaper... And not warm at all. Spoiler alert, that one is the women's one. The women's khakis are thinner too (I own MSC pairs for both genders). Same goes for baby for some stuff because a lot of the girls outfits have leggings and the boys ones have jeans and sweat pants.

I've also worn clothes from the kids depts lol.

Sounds like she's being placated to me. "working with target towards change starting in my own house" and "working towards a behind the scenes partnership" sound an awful lot like she's being allowed to do whatever busywork she wants and Target will "take it under consideration"

This. I suspect she will get the same thing working with corporate that we get from our leaders and corporate...lots of talk and promises but no meaningful action or change.

@sher Women's clothing is almost always cheaper than Men's. This is not only at Target

As far as the appropriateness of Junior's clothing, that's just what a lot of younger girls want to wear. Heck when I was in Middle School in the early 2000s, half the girls in 7th/8th grade were dressing like skanks, and it just got worse in High School. I don't see how this news of "outrageous" clothing being worn by the youth is anything new, pretty sure our Grandparent's were having coronaries about what our parent's wore as youth.

I know it's not only at target. It's everywhere. The pricing isn't more favorable for women all the time, though. The clothes just feels chintzy for no reason. I buy from every dept and prefer men's stuff for work.

I don't really think the clothes are skanky. They're a little older than like all the bow shit that was in girls departments of the past, but I wouldn't call it skanky. The shorts are too short for my comfort though. I didn't feel comfortable in them until recently, so I might just have issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 12 year old girl and I still chose what she wears( with her input of course, but I have the final say in it)
I still find most of the clothes , this past 2 years , on the ugly side!
It is also cheaply made , especially th exhilaration brand!

When I open repacks off the truck in the am, there is a lot of crap for girls clothing, IMO! If I had a girl, whether she liked it or not, most of those clothes would be worn in the house only. Not for public use!

It's not just at Target...it's everywhere. Why does Target always get singled out as the "bad guy"? Between this, the "open carry" issue, and all the data breaches being compared to ours, it's no wonder our business is in the toilet....

Honestly, I agree with the blogger. Why do little girl's and junior's shorts have to be so short? I noticed that the past couple of summers.

When the little girls shorts and the women's shorts have the same inseam something is wrong.. And both need some more fabric.. I couldn't believe the women's shorts this year.. I bought guys cargo's to wear and modified them(took in the legs a bit)..

And Target gets singled out because the clientele has more time to burn with this kind of stuff than say a Walt-mart customer.. Yes I am generalizing. My other thought is that Walt-Mart doesn't have to care has never cared so why would you bother?

She says in the article why she focused on target initially (it's her favorite. She shops there often), then she went to Kohl's and found worse.

I will say, though, she mostly ignored the Bermuda shorts. She started her comparison with short shorts then it looks like she switched over to the Bermuda circo. I know we don't have many Bermudas but she still should've compared them. For science.

Love it or hate it, the buyers generally choose what sells.
If skimpy booty shorts are in, that's what girls will clamor to get, whether their mamas know it or not.
It would take a concentrated & prolonged campaign of refusing to purchase such attire, sending students home for violating school dress & making them change out of unacceptable outfits. Parents are too easily worn down & prefer to choose their battles.
The more it's verboten, tho, the more the girls want it.

I think there are other methods of parenting that are better than policing what your kids wear (within reason). Talking to your kids and being involved in their lives goes so much further.

I feel like telling young women that they can't wear something just gives credence to the "slut culture" that everyone always declares a double-standard.

She says in the article why she focused on target initially (it's her favorite. She shops there often), then she went to Kohl's and found worse.

I will say, though, she mostly ignored the Bermuda shorts. She started her comparison with short shorts then it looks like she switched over to the Bermuda circo. I know we don't have many Bermudas but she still should've compared them. For science.

If her store had them. I see our sister stores have some different stuff than my store does.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but GENERALLY boys are bigger than girls and also typically wear their clothes looser than girls. Maybe that's why an XS in boys isn't the same size as in girls.
To me, that is mostly understandable. On the other hand, why would toddler girls' most basic clothing be any different in size and cut than toddler boys'? Why should a toddler girls' simple tee shirt be half a size smaller than the toddler boys'?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but GENERALLY boys are bigger than girls and also typically wear their clothes looser than girls. Maybe that's why an XS in boys isn't the same size as in girls.
To me, that is mostly understandable. On the other hand, why would toddler girls' most basic clothing be any different in size and cut than toddler boys'? Why should a toddler girls' simple tee shirt be half a size smaller than the toddler boys'?
Partly because boys are bigger and partly because boys wear baggier clothing? That's all I got.

These are clothes for the same size kids which means they are all in how they are cut.
How tight do you want your two year olds shorts?
I really don't think a toddler needs daisy dukes.

Speaking of tiny clothes in the girls dept, one of the mannequins in the girls dept in my store is wearing the tiniest dress lol. I think it's the wrong size or the mannequin is abnormally tall, but I did a double take when I saw it and assumed someone forgot to put the pants on.

Even with the "boys typically wear baggier clothes" thing, where are the options for those who aren't typical? Even if there are less of those things.

Side note: whenever anything in the women's clothing options aren't tight they're called "boyfriend." Skinny boyfriend jeans (still not sure if they're implying jeans of a skinny boyfriend or skinny jeans of boyfriend.. And I own two pairs), boyfriend sweatpants/cardigans/shirts. It's pretty funny.. To me.

Speaking of tiny clothes in the girls dept, one of the mannequins in the girls dept in my store is wearing the tiniest dress lol. I think it's the wrong size or the mannequin is abnormally tall, but I did a double take when I saw it and assumed someone forgot to put the pants on.

Even with the "boys typically wear baggier clothes" thing, where are the options for those who aren't typical? Even if there are less of those things.

Side note: whenever anything in the women's clothing options aren't tight they're called "boyfriend." Skinny boyfriend jeans (still not sure if they're implying jeans of a skinny boyfriend or skinny jeans of boyfriend.. And I own two pairs), boyfriend sweatpants/cardigans/shirts. It's pretty funny.. To me.

Yeah. I thought that was kinda sad.
Like, I'm wearing my boyfriends clothes, that's why they are actually comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back