Archived target hires sex offenders????

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has nothing to do with his past. It is his current behavior that needs to be reported.

@Kartman, what would have happened in your strip club days if a man was making the performers uncomfortable and touching them without their permission?

There is a TM at my store who constantly makes girls uncomfortable. He is pushing 30, but flirts with 18-21 year olds, he has no concept of personal space, will make a point of finding out when certain people leave so that he can come and talk to them before they go. He will grab my hand while I’m talking to him or touch my back. He has also asked out multiple girls while on the clock.
This has been going on for a while, but to make matters worse, I recently learned that he is a registered sex offender (thanks google). He had a job as a high school teacher and was arrested for sleeping with an underaged student. Should I talk to HR about how uncomfortable he makes me, or should I just let it go? I really don’t want him to find out it was me who said something, and I also don’t want to make a big deal out of nothing. Also, why would Target hire a sex offender? Especially due to the nature of his crime, it seems odd. Target employs a decent amount of minors, isn’t that kind of risky??
Definitely go to HR and or your store director .Everyone should feel safe. It possible it was missed if the case was expunged but its definitely something to talk to management about

Well, @Kartman, I don't condone violence, so going to HR is the first peaceful step.

OP: The next time he touches you, tell him straight to his face he does NOT have permission to touch you anywhere on your body. Ever. The next time he says something that makes you uncomfortable, tell him you don't appreciate his comments and from now on he is only to talk about store business with you on the clock and he is not to speak to you off the clock. Ever.

Write down the date, day, time, and location in the store of when you gave him notice. Most importantly, any witnesses who heard you tell him this. If he does not take this opportunity to alter his behavior, the next time it happens document it the same way you did when you put him on notice. Then go to HR and tell them you want to lodge a formal complaint against him and give them copies of all your documentation. There is no need at this point to mention his past. If any other young female TMs have confided in you they feel the same, encourage them to do what you are doing and go to HR with their documentation.

If his behavior does not change, and he continues to touch without permission, and says unacceptable things, go to HR again and report him again. This time tell them if his inappropriate behavior doesn't stop 100% you will call the Hotline.

If you need to call the Hotline, then would be a good time to mention his sex offender status. You will then see action on the matter.

He must be given the opportunity to alter his behavior. If he doesn't, you have the right to use any information to feel safe in your workplace.

It's not, but it is necessary to know what are appropriate and inappropriate responses when creeped out. Such as being direct in saying stop, when to escalate, don't gossip, etc.

I just reread the original post.

OP are you absolutely certain, swear a blood oath certain, that Google matched the right person and not someone of the same name? It is odd the background check missed it, and there have been lots of times someone checked on a neighbor or coworker and found someone of the same name. Also, if someone goes by their middle name as a first name it makes it doubly easy to get the wrong match.

Edit: I have no idea why my phone thought "oath" should be corrected to "bath".

There is a TM at my store who constantly makes girls uncomfortable. He is pushing 30, but flirts with 18-21 year olds, he has no concept of personal space, will make a point of finding out when certain people leave so that he can come and talk to them before they go. He will grab my hand while I’m talking to him or touch my back. He has also asked out multiple girls while on the clock.
This has been going on for a while, but to make matters worse, I recently learned that he is a registered sex offender (thanks google). He had a job as a high school teacher and was arrested for sleeping with an underaged student. Should I talk to HR about how uncomfortable he makes me, or should I just let it go? I really don’t want him to find out it was me who said something, and I also don’t want to make a big deal out of nothing. Also, why would Target hire a sex offender? Especially due to the nature of his crime, it seems odd. Target employs a decent amount of minors, isn’t that kind of risky??
His behavior with the touching is inappropriate, but I hope you’re not suggesting that any 29 y/o can’t ask any 21 year old out? Why is that inappropriate in general?

Depending on the 29 year old and the 21 year old there could be a tremendous difference in maturity. I know I was certainly a different person at 29 than I was at 21 and my thought process and decision making clearly showed that.

But that's for the individuals to determine. As long as someone's legal, and barring any inappropriate workplace behavior, I have no issue with it. I had a serious relationship with a man much older than me, and my husband is seven years younger. Age doesn't matter to me at all.

And I'm still wondering if Google grabbed the wrong person's criminal record.

Thats exactly why I said it depends on the individuals @happygoth. I’m not about to judge anyone’s relationship for the fact that I don’t want anyone else feeling like they have a right to weigh in on mine.

Okay, re-rereading, so I just have to go there.

Part 1

Part 2

Now remove part 2 from existence and look solely at part 1. I got distracted by part 2, but that may not be true. If y'all knew me, you'd have a heck of a laugh over what background searches say about me, due to mis-identity. For starters I'm a 90 year old woman who died about 10 years ago.

But part 1. Does that not sound like a dictionary perfect description of autism?

So whether or not part 2 is correct or mis-identification, the way to start is to speak directly. Not meanly. Not hinting. Straight up "I don't like that, please don't do that again." Because if part 2 is correct, you have to take a strong assertive stance. If part 2 is wrong, you have to consider if your hints are just not getting the message across and that saying exactly what you mean instead will get effective results. And sorry, "I just moved my hand and he should have understood why" should never be the basis of an HR complaint. I'd be hung ten times over because I'm a hugger.

So, use your words. Your vocal cords exist for a reason. Use them to tell Mr. Friendly what interactions you do not like and do not want repeated.

Target probably hires a lot worse than sex offenders once seasonal hiring begins and background checks are temporarily suspended.

But part 1. Does that not sound like a dictionary perfect description of autism?
Nope, many people with autism have an aversion to hand-holding or touching others (sensory integration issues).
There MIGHT be misfires in social cues, ie: asking girls out until someone says 'yes' but the rest combined seems too much like creepster.
Re: sex offender info - Don't bring that up unless it can be verified beyond doubt.

Target probably hires a lot worse than sex offenders once seasonal hiring begins and background checks are temporarily suspended.
I dunno about a lot worse, but my ex got banned from Target for stealing and then hired by Target a year later. (Note: not the same Target)

Don't use fucking Google for sex offender registration.
Every state has their own data base and you need to cross check using their DOB and address (registered offenders have to keep their addresses current).
I have checked the official database for my state. I just found out about it initially through google because the first thing that comes up when you search his name is his mugshot and about a dozen news articles about the case.

And I'm still wondering if Google grabbed the wrong person's criminal record.
It’s definitely him. His mugshot is the first thing that comes up on google under his name, and there are dozens of news articles detailing the case.
I will absolutely tell him that him touching me makes me uncomfortable the next time it happens.

The individual under discussion is pushing 30 years old, and should know enough not to touch people at work. When leaders took Spot’s sexual harassment training every year, we were told that type of behavior was definitely not acceptable from anyone, not co-workers, vendors or even guests. My store may have had its faults, but it definitely had a zero tolerance policy for anything that was even close to that type of behavior. This is the one type of complaint that leadership is required to report and act on. Immediately.

To the OP: If that individual’s behavior makes you fear for your safety, you and your other young friends might want to walk out in groups or ask AP to walk you to your cars. Better safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back